Spring Break on the Crown but no break from Noro!

karatemom2

Just got home today from our Spring Break cruise on the Crown and still recovering from a very unpleasant bout of norovirus that hit my family hard. I must say after 27 cruises we thought we had a pretty good handle on staying healthy onboard. I am pretty OCD about handwashing and sanitizing and have instilled the almighty fear of germs in my family. But despite our usual stringent efforts, the Crown proved to be our downfall! And what a fall it was...starting with DH who fell ill on day 5 of our cruise and was down and out for about 24 hours. My daughter and I spent a pretty awful day in our cabin yesterday, the last day of the cruise. In retrospect even though we missed out on our last day, I'm glad it hit yesterday and not today as I really don't know how I could have made it off the ship and tolerated the 90 minute drive home. DS was in the room across the hall with a buddy and we had hoped they would be spared, but unfortunately it appears DS will not be spared. At least he made it home first!

All in all, the Crown is a lovely ship and we enjoyed the cruise for the most part although we found the overall service level and food quality down a bit from our other Princess cruises. The staff and crew definitely seem to lack a bit of the warmth and enthusiasm we have found on other ships. Perhaps the constant noro battle has worn them down! Thank goodness for the "Hit Squad" though. Those courageous souls deserve some kind of special salute for braving cabins like ours armed only with masks, spray bottles and fresh linens! They are my new heroes!

I can't help but say it though, as we rolled past the Ruby in San Pedro this morning fresh from its Pacific Coastal cruise I did wish for a moment through my still queasy haze that we had chosen that ship and itinerary instead. But I can say for sure that we will always vividly remember our week on the Crown!

What a bummer! Our daughter had it once so I can relate to the shock in getting it when you are a seasoned cruiser and think you know how to steer clear of it. We were on this cruise and met many passengers young and old and did not hear of one case so I'm thinking perhaps yours was one of few cases this sailing??? I also found the food and service a bit under par but we had such a great time with our two 19 year old girls we overlooked a lot of the issues. We also ate in Sabatini's and Crown Grill a couple of times to avoid the slightly below average fare. I'm thinking that might be the way to go going forward. We paid very little in comparison to previous spring break cruises so by paying for the specialty restaurants we ended up paying what we normally do in the end. I am sure your next sailing will be a great one. You seem to have a great attitude considering the set backs.

We leave on the 18th. Nothing says Caribbean like some folks singing in the Frozen Alps.

We were on the first week of March. This is the first we have heard of since January sailings.

BTW, something was mentioned about the buffet. We never ate there and have not had problems. I have seen people stopped for clothing violations but just walk past the Purell. I have my suspensions that is where most of the noro has exchanged hands.

Edited by AZbeachboy

Glad that it appears there weren't a lot of others sick onboard. Guess we were just the lucky ones this trip! :rolleyes:

Back to work today and still feeling a little weak in the knees but I can say this is one cruise where I disembarked weighing less then when I boarded - so I got that going for me! :D

Was it a significnat outbreak on Crown or were your family members of an unlucky few?

We were also pretty excited about The Sound of Music celebration promoted in the email from Princess being that we are big musical theatre buffs and currently raising an aspiring Broadway performer! But sad to say it wasn't being shown on the Crown either. Also, the Princess Pop Choir was still performing the same old standards which I gathered from the email were being replaced this year by songs from The Sound of Music. So not sure if it is on some ships and not others, or just hasn't started yet?

We had friends on the Ruby and it appeared they were having a wonderful time. As I said I did stare at her a bit wistfully this morning. Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Edited by LabGuy64

Have an acquaintance who worked on cruise lines in the Caribbean. She swears Noro is caused by cruisers who are doing back to back cruises. Apparently, they are more likely to become lax with sanitary habits and also to bring it on from a port.

Have an acquaintance who worked on cruise lines in the Caribbean. She swears Noro is caused by cruisers who are doing back to back cruises. Apparently, they are more likely to become lax with sanitary habits and also to bring it on from a port.

That is way off base. :(

I am on the Crown now and haven't heard a word about anyone having noro. I haven't seen anyone sick nor have I seen any noro outbreak precautions. In addition, to the comment that workers were just doing their jobs, we've had contact with several workers who have gone beyond our expectations for good service. We're having a nice time. Our only complaints have been with the beds, but I'll write more when I get back. Overall, we've had good service and decent food. There were a lot Easter activities. Workers are very busy and over-worked due to 600-700 children on board. Many cabins have 3-4 occupants. Still, though, workers have been in good spirits.

B254 - And let me say that I think the Hit Squad does the best they can to clean the surfaces from what I observed

B254 is the cabin we will have on the 18th. Think we will bring some extra wipes or quit reading this board:)

I am on the Crown now and haven't heard a word about anyone having noro. I haven't seen anyone sick nor have I seen any noro outbreak precautions. In addition, to the comment that workers were just doing their jobs, we've had contact with several workers who have gone beyond our expectations for good service. We're having a nice time. Our only complaints have been with the beds, but I'll write more when I get back. Overall, we've had good service and decent food. There were a lot Easter activities. Workers are very busy and over-worked due to 600-700 children on board. Many cabins have 3-4 occupants. Still, though, workers have been in good spirits.

Thanks for checking in. Good to hear.

My father was in the hospital for a staph infection in his hip and MRSA in the wound from surgery. When they moved him from the hospital to the nursing home, the hospital put some sort of UV light in the room, which completely sanitized the room in approx 30 minutes I believe. They said that they do that in all rooms that have had communicable diseases. I wonder if the cruise ships got something like that, that they could use int he cabins of infected passengers after they get off the ship?

The key to not getting noro is to not put it in your mouth or nose, don't touch your face.

Wash your hands often, but still if you touch any surface after washing hands you can have it on yours hands. Pulling the chair out, you touching the table, you touching silverware, breadbaskets, anything can harbor noro. Use your silverware to eat everything - sandwiches and fries. Pick up bread with a napkin or don't eat the part that you touch. It's really hard to completely avoid but the more aware you are of not putting your hands to your face the better. I have to take the same precautions on land. Lots of people miss work because of stomach flu.

I did read about the uv light sanitization. Hopefully more and more facilities will get them.

Edited by happy cruzer