ROOM SERVICE - Convenience Fee + 18% Gratuity

rochelle_s

If I want coffee and pay a gratuity of $4.95 then I could go to guest services and decrease my DSC by that amount an still be paying the full DSC as I did before. :) NCL will get the message that the $12 - $14 DSC is enough, it will just be coming at them in different transactions.

If I want coffee and pay a gratuity of $4.95 then I could go to guest services and decrease my DSC by that amount an still be paying the full DSC as I did before. :) NCL will get the message that the $12 - $14 DSC is enough, it will just be coming at them in different transactions.

The 4.95 isn't a gratuity. It is a convenience fee. One would guess that is a fee direct to NCL revenue.

But then you're fattening NCL bottom line instead of the staff's wages - A Catch-22. Remove/ Reduce the DSC but paying room service fee goes to NCL; keeping the DSC but not paying room service fee goes to the employees. Paying both goes to both and paying neither will be interesting / hopefully not a drama at Guest Services. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. *shrug*

Edit: Do what you think is right and see fit - its your money. I'm just stating the different forms NCL is going after one's cash.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

You can do anything you want, it is your money. Will they get the message, that is yet to be determined.

You can do anything you want, it is your money. Will they get the message, that is yet to be determined.

As you stated in an earlier post, none of us has any idea how NCL distributes or uses these charges, so it doesn't make any difference how you handle it as long as the bottom line comes out in your favor.

That certainly negates the arguments about "stiffing the crew" by adjusting or eliminating the DSC.

Edited by swedish weave

As you stated in an earlier post, none of us has any idea how NCL distributes or uses these charges, so it doesn't make any difference how you handle it as long as the bottom line comes out in your favor.

That certainly negates the arguments about "stiffing the crew" by adjusting or eliminating the DSC.

Yes, some consider their bottom line paramount to anything else and that is why I said they can do anything they want with their money. I choose to pay any new fees that have been implemented, while keeping my DSC in place, tipping my butler and concierge and, as I always do, tip over and above that figure. If others don't, then that is their business, I could care less what they do with their money. Edited by NLH Arizona

Yes, some consider their bottom line paramount to anything else and that is why I said they can do anything they want with their money. I choose to pay any new fees that have been implemented, while keeping my DSC in place, tipping my butler and concierge and, as I always do, tip over and above that figure. If others don't, then that is their business, I could care less what they do with their money.

For someone who could care less you seem to comment continuously on these topics.

6&8

Rochelle, Thanks for coffee maker info.

I am doing the Star northcape Norway cruise in June from CPH. Went back on Jade year after we met on Jade. I have 3 FCCs so will be cruising NCL, nothing else booked yet with NCL.. But have 2 new ships booked, Hal Koningsdam and Carnival Vista cruises for 2016. Loretta

No problem and I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruises.

Rochelle

Someone has to offer a counter point when so many are making a lot of assumptions without any facts!

Touche, Touche....That's all we have to go on right now because there's no official information regarding what the finally price is and if these increases tanked NCL have been released yet.

Nope.

Some of the crew won't get their full pay for the day.

A post earlier stated that none of know how the charges are distributed, so it doesn't make any difference if someone removes all the charges.

Its know it goes to them, its unknown how much goes to each staff member. Big difference.

A post earlier stated that none of know how the charges are distributed, so it doesn't make any difference if someone removes all the charges.
What we do know is:

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

But like I said, it is your money, do with it what you please.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Its know it goes to them, its unknown how much goes to each staff member. Big difference.
You are correct, no one on here knows, or should care, how NCL dispenses the DSC, as that is between NCL and their employees. I wonder if these folks go into a store that has clerks that get salary and commission and asks them how they are paid, how much do they make on commission and how does their company dispense it, because, if you think about it, the customer is paying their salary, just as we are through our DSC on NCL.

You are right, it doesn't affect everyone in the same way. Some have no problems with the fee and I don't think you are in the minority, while others do. I just hope that some don't get so hot and bothered that it will ruin their vacation.

Yes. We're on the Epic, which doesn't have a service charge ... yet. Even if it's 7.95 by the time we sail, we could order room service breakfast every morning, and we'd be looking at $55.65. Not worth bulging veins and apoplexy.

You are correct, no one on here knows, or should care, how NCL dispenses the DSC, as that is between NCL and their employees. I wonder if these folks go into a store that has clerks that get salary and commission and asks them how they are paid, how much do they make on commission and how does their company dispense it, because, if you think about it, the customer is paying their salary, just as we are through our DSC on NCL.

This is a reversal from your earlier post. Which is correct ?

This is a reversal from your earlier post. Which is correct ?
Not at all. Everyone has been saying that NCL double dips, triple dips, skims from the top of the DSC and my point is that NO ONE ON HERE knows what NCL is doing. There is a lot of conjecture and speculation, but not one person on this site has any idea....not you and not me.

And if you want to reduce or remove the DSC, it is your money and only you can make the decision as to what to do with it. I might not agree with what someone does, but I certainly would tell them to do differently.

My opinion, NCL is not double or triple dipping nor are the skimming off the top (unless you call the crew welfare fund skimming - which BTW, on my cruise I was told that this fund paid for airfare home for a crew member) and the DSC goes to the employees. Now, this is just an opinion, because I have no facts to back it up, just as those that say NCL is double or triple dipping or skimming have no facts.

Yes. We're on the Epic, which doesn't have a service charge ... yet. Even if it's 7.95 by the time we sail, we could order room service breakfast every morning, and we'd be looking at $55.65. Not worth bulging veins and apoplexy.

I would bet with your attitude you will have one grand time on the Epic. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Not at all. Everyone has been saying that NCL double dips, triple dips, skims from the top of the DSC and my point is that NO ONE ON HERE knows what NCL is doing. There is a lot of conjecture and speculation, but not one person on this site has any idea....not you and not me.

And if you want to reduce or remove the DSC, it is your money and only you can make the decision as to what to do with it. I might not agree with what someone does, but I certainly would tell them to do differently.

My opinion, NCL is not double or triple dipping nor are the skimming off the top (unless you call the crew welfare fund skimming - which BTW, on my cruise I was told that this fund paid for airfare home for a crew member) and the DSC goes to the employees. Now, this is just an opinion, because I have no facts to back it up, just as those that say NCL is double or triple dipping or skimming have no facts.

I did not mention the "dipping" you refer to.

The flight home is part of the contract for crew who complete their contract.

I do know some of the details, but won't post them here.

Your post are conflicting and I see what I read, and I don't agree with your assumptions.

I know what I will do regarding these additional fees. I remember when the DSC was implemented along with Freestyle Dining. The concept was that you couldn't tip your personal waiter as had been tradition and so now it would be a combined tip (DSC). Room service was free and you tipped the individual who brought your order. Then Specialty dining came along and again pay the service charge, extra tipping was at your discretion as the waiter was part of the wait staff, (possibly had served you breakfast or lunch in the dining room or cleaned your table at the buffet). Still no extra charge.

Now NCL is increasing fees, now room service at least as a test is being charged, my choice to use or not to, but definitely a consideration as free room service was always appealing over going to a land hotel and being overcharged. However, I am now paying a cover charge for specialty dining and an additional 18% gratuity. Well the DSC didn't drop so whether some call it double or triple dipping I will not argue that, but it is an additional tip and I will not pay it. Either by not spending money in the specialty restaurants or by lowering the DSC. Or I just go back to RCCL!

I did not mention the "dipping" you refer to.

The flight home is part of the contract for crew who complete their contract.

I do know some of the details, but won't post them here.

Your post are conflicting and I see what I read, and I don't agree with your assumptions.

The crew member wasn't at the end of the contract, it was a family emergency. The crew member was returning to the ship the following week.

Yeah, we all know some of the details!!!!!

I'm not asking you to agree with my assumptions, just as I don't agree with yours.

Have a good night.

Edited by NLH Arizona