ROOM SERVICE - Convenience Fee + 18% Gratuity

rochelle_s

Thanks for clarifying these charges..

I'm really Thankful I got a suite because according to this thread I won't be charged for Room service, correct?

Also since I got the Unlimited Beverage package & dining package as promos, I won't be charged an 18% gratuity at the restaurants.....I hope

Unfortunately, I might be thinking of changing cruise lines if they keep up with this nickle & diming cr*p.

Depends on when your sailing is. If it's far enough out I'm sure there will be new unannounced service charges by the time you go.

I have been reading all of the thread discussion on the increased DSC and fees. I understand the issues that concern those that have been involved in the discussion.

I'm booked on the Escape later this year and despite the increased DSC and the new fees, I plan to go on my cruise and enjoy it. I've enjoyed my past two cruises with NCL and like the casual atmosphere aboard the ship.

I appreciate that some are not happy with the increases and changes. When a price goes up on a product I like or service/convenience fees are now imposed on a service that was previously complimentary (i.e. paying to select one's seat in advance of check-in on an airline), it's disappointing. I'd rather that the DSC and fee structure had remained the same also.

One needs to determine whether based on itinerary, ship, DSC/fees and other factors important to that particular individual whether or not to sail on a particular ship or a particular line. And then go and have a great time, whatever you decide. There are a lot of wonderful choices available on many different cruiselines - have fun planning the best one for you.

Wishing all a Happy Easter and Passover.

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

Dip #1: Room service is not a restaurant. It is the opposite of a restaurant. The value of room service resides entirely in the fact that you get to avoid going to a restaurant.

The room service attendant is a part of the restaurant staff, even though technically your cabin is not a restaurant. Just like the food, beverage and entertainment operations on board are under the Hotel Director even though a cruise ship is not technically a hotel.

Dip #2: That is what the current test menus say.

Yes they say it but in complete contradiction to Dip #1

Dip #3: That is not what the current test menus say.

I agree this is not what the test menus say but it is what is actually happening ob board the ship. Please see the review I referenced in Post #1

I am not trying to make anything up or be misleading. All I have done is posted the information NCL has themselves updated on their website, first hand accounts of someone on board last week and some one on board now. From this I have formed my own opinion. Yours may vary based on the exact same information. What I have posted is factual at the time of my posting.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

I am glad the person sent the food back, I hope more people followed their lead. I said it from day 1 that I would double up my order so I didn't have to order twice.

My 2 pots of coffee will become 4 so I can clean out the 2 pots and use them the rest of the week. They will only get me once.

In fact I am tempted to go out and buy 2 carafes and not pay NCL once

Cathy,

Just ask you cabin steward to keep you stocked with a couple every day. :)

Rochelle

So based on the quote above it appears that the free room service to guests in Suites and the Haven is subject to change. If I am tipping my butler, why do I need to pay a convenience charge? NCL needs to re-think this move.

The way I read it I think the Suites and Haven will be okay. The asterisk seems to be at the end of the section. I think to be in reference to the Suites and Haven it would have needed to be inside the bracketed text. Looks like you are good to go. But no guarantees from me, all these changes swirling around at once makes things a little harder to decipher. :)

Rochelle

Nope, nothing new here, same crap different day!

Things change! We have been enjoying really inexpensive cruising for many years. New management, new business model. Seems to me there is a push for a different type of clientele. Color me happy!

There's no coffee makers in family ov which is what we book. I dont like balconies.

You could ask your cabin steward for one when you board. They do have extras so ask early hopefully there will be one available for you.

Rochelle

The way I read it I think the Suites and Haven will be okay. The asterisk seems to be at the end of the section. I think to be in reference to the Suites and Haven it would have needed to be inside the bracketed text. Looks like you are good to go. But no guarantees from me, all these changes swirling around at once makes things a little harder to decipher. :)

Rochelle

I'm not so sure about non-Haven suites. In some previous posts that were quoted, one statement in the information that NCL released said suites and the Haven were excluded and another said that only Haven suites were excluded. We probably won't know until this rolls out to all ships.

If they're adding an 18% tip on top of the charge I think the staff will take a hit. Most people would have tipped more that than the 18% amounts to.

You could ask your cabin steward for one when you board. They do have extras so ask early hopefully there will be one available for you.

Rochelle

Thanks. If we sail them again, I will ask. Good to know!

Why is it that some on here say they know how the crew is getting paid and say that they are getting screwed and NCL is taking the money or NCL is double dipping or NCL is triple dipping, when not one person on this site has any idea whatsoever what is happening with the DSC and/or tips or how the crew is paid. All they are doing is guessing, when in fact they have no idea, and are just trying to stir the pot and/or further their agenda and then people believe what they are saying and then they run with it as well.

NCL is double dipping or NCL is triple dipping,

If I have to pay three separate fees for something I used to pay only one, they are triple dipping in my pocket. If I have to pay two separate fees for something I used to pay only one, they are double dipping in my pocket.

If they're adding an 18% tip on top of the charge I think the staff will take a hit. Most people would have tipped more that than the 18% amounts to.

You think people would still tip after being charged a service fee for delivery of complimentry food?

The way I look at it is if NCL wants to charge me a service fee of $7.95 for room service delivery "for my convenience", then as far as I am concerned, that is ALL they are getting. Since most of the food on the menu is "complimentry", what can the charge actually be meant to reimburse NCL for EXCEPT the delivery itself. They can take my gratuity for the delivery out of the service charge. And no way am I paying for delivery once with the service fee, and then paying AGAIN with an 18% on top of it.

Dear NCL,

Please just add all of these fees into the price of the cruise, so we can all compare costs to other lines, and people will book if they want to pay the price. It certainly should stop the complaining on al the little fees and we will all be happy.

Thanks

Why is it that some on here say they know how the crew is getting paid and say that they are getting screwed and NCL is taking the money or NCL is double dipping or NCL is triple dipping, when not one person on this site has any idea whatsoever what is happening with the DSC and/or tips or how the crew is paid. All they are doing is guessing, when in fact they have no idea, and are just trying to stir the pot and/or further their agenda and then people believe what they are saying and then they run with it as well.

The I shouldn't worry about removing the DSC since I don't have any idea whatsoever is happening with the DSC or how the crew is paid. I may or may not be screwing the crew?

Right?

You think people would still tip after being charged a service fee for delivery of complimentry food?

The way I look at it is if NCL wants to charge me a service fee of $7.95 for room service delivery "for my convenience", then as far as I am concerned, that is ALL they are getting. Since most of the food on the menu is "complimentry", what can the charge actually be meant to reimburse NCL for EXCEPT the delivery itself. They can take my gratuity for the delivery out of the service charge. And no way am I paying for delivery once with the service fee, and then paying AGAIN with an 18% on top of it.

No I don't think people will still tip. That's what I was talking about. The crew delivering room service orders will take a hit. I certainly wouldn't tip above what is already being charged and I'm sure most people will feel the same. 18% of $7.95 is only $1.43 and I think most people would have tipped more. The same holds true with the upcharge restaurants. We always left more than the 18% they're adding now. But if all they want is 18% that's all they'll get.

On average, we tipped $3 or $4 per small room services order on a ship, more for 3 people n a big order. Just had Thai lunch on land with 3 other family NCL cruisers. Here's the solution, we will bring nickels, dimes and pennies along to round up the 18% to 20% in coins and cash but signed for the rest, if and when we sail and if we order RS on top of the autogratuity. NCL can do what they must with the pooled money, and they have the base DSC already to divide. No additional tipping beyond that from us.

We gave a cash tip locally and rounded up higher than 18% and waitress was very happy too, no surprises on any other fees on land.

Funny that the crew were not extra happy 2 weeks ago nor working harder for exceptional service, so only time will tell, might be shock-&-awe with their contracted work.

sent from my Google Nexus 5/7 via Taptatalk

Edited by mking8288

You are a little misleading in your post, Rochelle. The 18 percent gratuity is only for beverages and for special occasion plates. I am not nagging, just clarifying!

The other items do not have an 18% gratuity added. It is seen clearly at the bottom of the RS menu that Triptolemus has posted via Keith Jenner who is on Geatway right now.

There has always been the gratuity on non-complimentary beverages.

I suggest you read the link provided (which verifies & confirms the 18% being charged) before you complain about misleading statements by Rochelle.

In fact, it's your post and your statements that aren't clarified at all.

Dear NCL,

Please just add all of these fees into the price of the cruise, so we can all compare costs to other lines, and people will book if they want to pay the price. It certainly should stop the complaining on al the little fees and we will all be happy.

Thanks

I understand your post. But by doing that you would make everyone pay for services they might not use, like Room Service.

We have been waiting for some more first hand information in regards to room service changes and now we have some.

The first review from the getaway by LSUalum has been posted here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2192062

We also have someone (KeithJenner) on board the Getaway right now willing to answer questions here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46163562&posted=1#post46163562

The NCL website has been updated and in the FAQ section (Money Matters) you can now see question and answer;

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Room Service orders placed by guests sailing in Suites and The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change

So according to the website the convenience fee is no longer a test but is debuting on the BA & GA. Other ship web pages have also been updated and indicate that room service is subject to a convenience fee. From the review above we learn that not only have they instituted a 'convenience charge' but that charge is now subject to an 18% gratuity charge. :eek:

I imagine due to claims of double dipping in reference to the new 18% added to the specialty restaurants changes have been made to the FAQ section in regards to the DSC service charge;

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

A month ago when we paid the DSC it included all wait staff, coffee shop staff, ship wide pizza delivery and room service personnel. Now all these people are supposedly removed from the DSC and being paid by the new 18% automatic gratuity. So why the need for increases to the DSC especially as high as the 25% increase imposed on suite guests?

If all these positions are not removed from the DSC then that is double dipping and in my opinion in the case of room service they are triple dipping.

• They have clearly stated in their FAQ in regards to the service charge that complimentary restaurant staff is included in the DSC. Dip #!
  • In their explanation of room service they make a point of saying that the food is complimentary but subject to the convenience charge. Dip #2
  • Now as reported in the first Getaway review from someone subject to the 'test' the fee was subject to an 18% gratuity Dip #3

We now pay an increased DSC fee. The services of some of those covered by the DSC are subject to additional service fees. And to add insult to injury those secondary fees are now subject to a gratuity.

In my opinion when you charge a gratuity for services and then charge a service fee on those services and then an additonal 18% on the second fee....that is TRIPLE DIPPING.

**to note** I do not want to debate the DSC is not a gratuity debate. The DSC was put in place to replace the old way of providing gratuities. NCL themselves call the DSC a gratuity. If you need further proof please visit ncl.com ..front page shows their latest promotion..one of the options is "Free gratuities" ..so lets not cloud the issues here.

Whether you order room service or not, or agree or disagree about fees for the service I would think most would agree that double or triple dipping is wrong. The way NCL goes about making changes is completely unprofessional, especially for a company of their size. The spin they try and put on the wording of these changes is an insult to the intelligence of their customer base. The removal of the Asian restaurants and Noodles Bars from fee based venues to complimentary is just a small bone they have thrown at us. They are not giving up much. These were venues that were almost always empty, wasted space in prime locations on the ships. Make them free and folks will say okay to all the other changes. Well I think these changes reek of greed on the part of the company. Most of these are made to appear that they are for the benefit of the employees. If this were true why have they never come out and said that? The changes are being made for their bottom line. I realize the purpose of a business is to make money but they should not be gouging their customers with a new fee every time they turn around to do so. They do not need to be sneaky and deceptive in doing so. They should not be alienating their customers, whether they are brand new or loyal repeat customers.

When will it end? I don't think this is the end for extra charges. I think there is more to come. If you refer back to the above quote for What is a service charge?, it ends with this disclaimer; Onboard Service Charges are additional

Notice the plural..so far we have a service charge for room service. What is next??

Rochelle

From our keyboards to the new CEO's eyes. I do hope that the new top management will read these opinions. Will they care that passengers do not want to be captive cash cows?

Someone posted that Princess eliminated some extra charges when enough passengers complained.

So based on the quote above it appears that the free room service to guests in Suites and the Haven is subject to change. If I am tipping my butler, why do I need to pay a convenience charge? NCL needs to re-think this move.

Actually the * refers to the $7.95, not the Haven/suite note. Of course NCL could charge those guests too, but it's simpler to just assume a cost in those rates.

Rochelle

I am on Star in June in an OV cabin. So I can ask for a coffee maker since this category cabin won't have one? Will an OV have a fridge? Thanks

I am on Star in June in an OV cabin. So I can ask for a coffee maker since this category cabin won't have one? Will an OV have a fridge? Thanks

Yes. I asked when I was in an inside once and had no problem egtting the coffee maker. I am fairly certain that all cabins on NCL ships have a fridge. Every cabin, regardless of category I have been in has had a fridge.

I have never been on the Star. Heading back to the Jade (where we cruised together). Have a great time.

Rochelle

I feel bad for those that are affected and have their vacation being something they hadn't anticipated. But, I'm actually happy and excited about these changes because I'm only affected by the slight increase in the DSC (less than $7 a person) but now get the Asian and noodle bar included. I have the UBP, don't eat at specialty restaurants and don't order room service so those changes don't affect me. So all the changes aren't really bad for everyone but I know I may be in the minority. With that said, the way NCL has gone about these changes is shady and will make me think when I go to book another cruise especially when there aren't all the promotions. And they still have time before my cruise next month to add a fee that will affect me.

Edited by nfglory1

Yes. I asked when I was in an inside once and had no problem egtting the coffee maker. I am fairly certain that all cabins on NCL ships have a fridge. Every cabin, regardless of category I have been in has had a fridge.

I have never been on the Star. Heading back to the Jade (where we cruised together). Have a great time.

Rochelle

Rochelle, Thanks for coffee maker info.

I am doing the Star northcape Norway cruise in June from CPH. Went back on Jade year after we met on Jade. I have 3 FCCs so will be cruising NCL, nothing else booked yet with NCL.. But have 2 new ships booked, Hal Koningsdam and Carnival Vista cruises for 2016. Loretta

Edited by lettienets

I feel bad for those that are affected and have their vacation being something they hadn't anticipated. But, I'm actually happy and excited about these changes because I'm only affected by the slight increase in the DSC (less than $7 a person) but now get the Asian and noodle bar included. I have the UBP, don't eat at specialty restaurants and don't order room service so those changes don't affect me. So all the changes aren't really bad for everyone but I know I may be in the minority. With that said, the way NCL has gone about these changes is shady and will make me think when I go to book another cruise especially when there aren't all the promotions. And they still have time before my cruise next month to add a fee that will affect me.
You are right, it doesn't affect everyone in the same way. Some have no problems with the fee and I don't think you are in the minority, while others do. I just hope that some don't get so hot and bothered that it will ruin their vacation.