Ms Westerdam - wind with cabins 5001 and 5002

GoneJohnson

I've been working on rescheduling a Panama Canal cruise I had to cancel. I'm in a wheelchair and will have 2 other persons with me.

I was first looking at different 15 day cruises and found a 21 day HAL that looks really fun.

I've been priced a cabin right up front 5001 and other than more money than I'd planed this could be a great view. I'll use the room. I read it has a small deck... I wonder how windy? Also how good can you see forward or does ships bow block most?

I've found a few room photos nothing great. If there are links please post. What type of view from the room? Large windows?

Any input pro/con's as I better make a decision soon.

Thank you very much

I've been working on rescheduling a Panama Canal cruise I had to cancel. I'm in a wheelchair and will have 2 other persons with me.

I was first looking at different 15 day cruises and found a 21 day HAL that looks really fun.

I've been priced a cabin right up front 5001 and other than more money than I'd planed this could be a great view. I'll use the room. I read it has a small deck... I wonder how windy? Also how good can you see forward or does ships bow block most?

I've found a few room photos nothing great. If there are links please post. What type of view from the room? Large windows?

Any input pro/con's as I better make a decision soon.

Thank you very much

Try looking for the same rooms on the sister ships. There are pics of 5002 Oosterdam out there.

GoneJohnson, I just googled HAL Oosterdam 5002, and got a list of returns. I clicked the first one -- it had some pictures

https://www.google.ca/search?q=HAL+oosterdam+5002&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=X6khVf_8EdS3oQSCzYGABw

Then I googled Westerdam 5002 and got another list. The 3rd return has comments on the cabin

https://www.google.ca/search?q=HAL+westerdam+5002&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=BqohVdTUJY3coATKmYFY

Edited by CowPrincess

• 4 months later...
A quick question or maybe I should call HAL but does anyone know if cabin 5001 can sleep 4 people?

there are very few quad cabins on the ship other than the NS category.

The deck plans clearly show the few quad cabins that are there. If it is not so designated, it cannot hold 4.

I posted the Oosterdam 5002 on the HAL room FACTS site. You could see clearly out the two windows forward. I did not care for the balcony as it was really small and I didn't need the ramp. It would be functional for wheelchair access but there may not be much room for three to sit out there. We loved the views out the forward windows. There is a divider between the balcony and the closed deck on the bow (too bad it couldn't just curve around a bit). We did like the room as it was very large. The tub was very deep and it has a roll in shower as well as a shower in the tub. The bathroom lacks storage areas for cosmetics. It has a single sink and I wouldn't say it has a vanity.

We got the room as an upgrade and I really have no comparison to other accessible staterooms but we did enjoy the room. There was some anchor noise due to the location. It seemed very private since it is at the end of the hallway.

I needed a non interior handicapped room that could hold 3 people... myself and two caregivers. I assumed there would be more wind on that deck... dang.

If it did sleep 4 I might have invited my mother. I took her last year and she throughly enjoyed it I also had her sister along and they had a room. She's not real stable on her feet at times. This might be a little much for her and my sister was also 50/50 on if it was a good or bad idea.

I'm getting really excited over this 21 day cruise next March.

Thanks for the help.

We've stayed in the forward HC cabins on the Vista ships.

We found not much difference between the ones on Deck 6 - which were VA when we sailed in them last - and Deck 5, which were SY.

The VAs did not have a tub, but the roll-in shower was better, and separate from the toilet area.

With the SY, when you're in the shower and draw the curtain, you and the toilet are on the same side. Makes for very wet area.

Also, with the single sink and the smaller balcony - the SY seemed to belong more in the VA category.

The balconies are very windy when you are in those cabins up front.

How good or was/would having the front facing windows? Worth it or not? Will I see more? Through the canal? I am beginning to rethink my first thoughts and get out of the smaller windy deck onto a SY stateroom elsewhere like 8068.

A positive on 5001 I read said it is forward of the sea-break and you can see various critters swimming to get out of the way. This sounded interesting.

I do use and enjoy the deck probably the only reason I'm second guessing.

Any other pro's vs. con's appreciated by those who might have first hand knowledge? I must decide before December and by then will the better option be available?

Last year on the Sapphire Princess on deck 10 Caribe and the dang deck was a full 8' x 10' unbelievable. Got the tip the prior year from a HC couple. So it was awesome room to relax...

Edited by GoneJohnson

Cabin 5001 - my husband uses a power scooter and has difficulty walking. we have stayed in 5001 on the Westerdam and loved it. On our Canal cruise, we were all over the ship trying to see different aspects of our transit. Remember that passengers cannot get to the rear of the ship during the transit. The area is closed to allow the crew to work with the ropes/cables that are connected to the mules. That being said, we spent a lot of time in our cabin and on our deck. The deck is small but the cabin is large, lots of space to move around, lots of storage, roll in shower (remember to remove the toilet paper before you shower) a tub that is impossible to use if you have any sort of mobility issues, (too high a step to get in and the grab bars are in the wrong places (at least for my husband). The deck has two chairs and a little table. To accommodate my husband's scooter, I simply moved the table inside and he was able to sit and soak up the scenery and the sun as much as he wanted. There is a ramp to get our on the deck. There is a barrier, just like between all other balconies on the ship between 5001 and the forward viewing area. The forward viewing area in just to your right as you exit the cabin over a knee knocker, (lower than the height of the tub) but it is doable it you have the ability to step over things. The window is not see-through (I tested it) and other than other passengers getting in your line of sight, it is very nice to have that extra view. The forward facing window is great. He could sit and watch the tugs and the other activities. The only real problem with 5001 is that it is a long way to everything. It is quiet up that far forward but you can feel a lot of movement of the ocean in rough spots. We love this cabin and are getting ready to book another repositioning cruise on the Westerdam and hope to book 5001 or 5002. Enjoy your cruise

Se4deb,

Thank you, that was informative and helpful. I know financially this will most likely be my last cruise. I just want to really enjoy the cruise and not be kicking myself in butt for researching better. Once on board I'll be happy in any room...

I am 75 percent sure I might take my mother along. If my brother and sisters think it won;t be to much for her. She loved the 10 days last year cruised out of California into Mexico and back. I would get an inside room across from mine... when do rooms hit rock bottom prices?

Again, thank you all for so much help.

GoneJohnson - not a clue in the world about when prices hit rock bottom. In order to get the handicap cabins we book early and I am sure pay top dollar for them. There are thousands of people out there in Cruise Critic land that will have a better answer for you about shopping for the best prices. Just a note of interest. There is not cabin across the hall from 5001 or 5002. Also I just remembered that there are handicap rooms on the little jog in the hallway forward of the mid ship elevators. We booked one of those once, but got upgraded to a rear facing cabin so I can't speak about the room. A rear facing cabin would be nice for the Canal transit because you would get to see the activities at the rear of the ship, but otherwise, not our cup of tea. They do have huge balconies though. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the canal. It really is an amazing experience when you think about how it was built.

My room 5001 is booked/paid. You are right no interior room right across from 5001 but it's close. If I could afford to book an inside room we can share the balcony. It would be a nice gesture to take my mother... she'd love it. She has not been many places... it at home always... It would make me feel good to do it if feasible and Mom being up to it.

There's just something about the water, the ship... I just love it.

Both staterooms 5001 and 8068 have pro's vs con's.

I like the location of room 8068. Midship good deck.