The Real Story Behind Room Service Fee's

ncklhaus

I received this email today. Finally, some clarification on the details. Now we can all stop assuming what is going on. :D

Hello Joann,

As a valued travel partner we want to provide you with an update on our room service offerings.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Regards,

Industry Development Team

Norwegian Cruise Line

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

This is what someone else said in one of the many threads. And when I mentioned that I nearly got stoned thru my computer for being wrong.

To me, if this is true...I see no reason for the ENDLESS complaining and whining and threats to cancel a cruise.

Coffee/pastries, all the old items = free

You want bacon and eggs in your PJs = 7.95

seems fine to me

Edited by MrMike45

Finally some clarification! It's will certainly not appease those who were most outraged by this latest way of squeezing more of our dollars from us but it's not as bad as some of us thought. I can live with it. It seems Carnival is making changes to their RS as well so it looks likely others will follow.

seems fine to me

No, it's not 'all the old items = free'.

Only the old breakfast items.

You want soup, BLT, tuna sandwich, mac and cheese, chicken tenders, salad....you pay $7.95 service fee.

They also didn't mention anything about the additional 18% gratuity charge.

So, it's not ALL the old menu items that are free and you only pay for the 'enhanced' part of the (new) menu.

Harriet

If there is no charge for coffee and continental breakfast items, then that is music to my ears!!

Us, too! We just like coffee and a couple pastries on our balcony each morning, so if that's the case, yay! If we want something more elaborate, we're willing to pay the fee for it.

What do they say about the gratuity ?

Personally, I think that there will not be a gratuity added to convenience fee. But that's my opinion. I know, flame on.:eek:

I copied and pasted the entire email. If anyone would like me to send it to them, please give me your email.

This is what someone else said in one of the many threads. And when I mentioned that I nearly got stoned thru my computer for being wrong.

To me, if this is true...I see no reason for the ENDLESS complaining and whining and threats to cancel a cruise.

seems fine to me

Yes, this was posted elsewhere today.

MrMike, the trial runs of the Room Service charges had a flat fee on EVERY room service order. After the resulting hoopla, NCL has now backed away from charging this fee for a coffee and sweet roll. They also were reportedly adding an 18% gratuity and service charge to the flat RS charge, so a service fee on a service fee:rolleyes:. This has never been clarified by NCL, so who knows if that will continue.

In order to understand why so many cruisers are fed up, you have to look at the big picture. It is not just room service, it is a list of fee increases and add ons going back several weeks. All mostly all implemented with no warning, no clarification and no change to the NCL website's wording covering these changes until quite some time after the changes were initiated. And any official statements from NCL's PR department were really a disgrace, an insult to our intelligence and an embarrassment to NCL's image. As an example, justifying an 18% auto gratuity and service charge added to the cover charge in a specialty restaurant as being in line with the standard practice in land based restaurants. I don't know what restaurants they eat at, but I've never seen any, except on group checks, that auto added a tip. And by the way, no clarification re the Daily Service Charge which is supposed to already be covering the gratuity for this waiter.

seems fine to me

Yes, this was posted elsewhere today.

MrMike, the trial runs of the Room Service charges had a flat fee on EVERY room service order. After the resulting hoopla, NCL has now backed away from charging this fee for a coffee and sweet roll. They also were reportedly adding an 18% gratuity and service charge to the flat RS charge, so a service fee on a service fee:rolleyes:. This has never been clarified by NCL, so who knows if that will continue.

In order to understand why so many cruisers are fed up, you have to look at the big picture. It is not just room service, it is a list of fee increases and add ons going back several weeks. Mostly all implemented with no warning, no clarification and no change to the NCL website's wording covering these changes until quite some time after the changes were initiated. And any official statements from NCL's PR department were really a disgrace, an insult to our intelligence and an embarrassment to NCL's image. As an example, justifying an 18% auto gratuity and service charge added to the cover charge in a specialty restaurant as being in line with the standard practice in land based restaurants. I don't know what restaurants they eat at, but I've never seen any, except on group checks, that auto added a tip. And by the way, no clarification re the Daily Service Charge which is supposed to already be covering the gratuity for this waiter.

I was sort of unhappy about this at first. But you know what, if I ordered a big breakfast, lunch, dinner etc, I'd probably toss the guy a $5 at least anyway. Now Ill just consider the tip built into the service and be sure to order "extra" food to really make it worth it. ;-)

What happened to $4.95 on GETAWAY and $7.95 on BREAKAWAY? I guess NCL decided that enough people were willing to pay $7.95 so that is what they went with. Anyone surprised?

I still say this new fee will only encourage food waste. Since people will be charged $7.95 no matter how much or how little they order, guess what they will do? Order a lot of course, and most of it will end up on a tray sitting in the corridor.

Not a smart policy IMO. Carnival's is much better still offering all the original core items at no charge, then a la carte pricing for individual upgraded items. This policy prevents food waste as people will only pay for the individual items they want.

I agree with those that are frustrated. It's not this single issue, but the fact that NCL (and other cruise lines) have been chipping away at the core complimentary product for years now. Cruises have always enjoyed the reputation of being somewhat inclusive. That was a big part of the appeal. Now that aspect of cruising is being chipped away little by little.

Honestly, I have no problem paying extra for the expanded menu and was kind of surprised at all of the people threatening to stop cruising because of it. I think the new Room Service Menu is quite nice and worth the $7.95 "convenience fee". After all, if I don't want to go running all over the ship to get a bite to eat, it really is a convenience for them to bring it to me.

seems fine to me

I am with you on this. I threw no stones at you then or now.

They called me ignonorant when I mentioned it.

Well, what are they supposed to do? Most folks want to pay the LEAST amount possible for their fare...they want a bargain! But, you don't get luxury at bargain basement prices....

I would much rather they increase the price, and include all that USED to be included, rather than decreasing the quality of everything, and charging a "fee" for the lesser items!

I agree with those that are frustrated. It's not this single issue, but the fact that NCL (and other cruise lines) have been chipping away at the core complimentary product for years now. Cruises have always enjoyed the reputation of being somewhat inclusive. That was a big part of the appeal. Now that aspect of cruising is being chipped away little by little.

This is the crux of the issue. NOTHING was ever complimentary. It was included in the very expensive cruise fare. NCL is ala-cart. The reason I can even begin to afford cruising. I pay for what I use for the most part on NCL. When I fisrt started to get into cruising that was NCL thing, "Freestyle". So many liked it the other cruiselines followed suit. NCL is realatively new to me, man don't I love this cruiseline, just what I have always hopped for.

I grew up in Maine lobstering, I could take it or leave it. I also know of many folks who don't care for mass produced seafood. Why should I suppliment your lobster cravings (thats an example). NCL gives a choise, although from what I hear less and less lobster.

My two cruises this year I am sailing in suites. It is less expensive than a standard balcony stateroom 15 years ago on RCCL. More was "complimentary" as they say back then.

Edited by NH Cruisers

What items are considered continental? Does this also mean no more free room service outside of breakfast hours even for "old" items?

Continental breakfast is basically coffee, tea, juice, and pastry/fruit/cereal/yogurt. Attached is the continental breakfast door hanging card. According to this post these items will remain free when ordered during the breakfast hours.

Anything ordered at any other time of day will incur the $7.95 fee, along with any "upgraded" breakfast offerings such as eggs and bacon.

Keep in mind right now this is just a test on GETAWAY and BREAKAWAY, but rest assured it will eventually be rolled out fleet wide. Revenue managers are always looking for new ways to increase the onboard revenue stream, and it looks like they just found another one.

16196859350_cdebebf328_c.jpg

NCL is ala-cart.

I don't agree. If NCL were truly a la carte then they would be charging additional fees for EVERY dining and entertainment option. I mean if that is the route you want to take, why should the entertainment and any dining options be included in the fare? You should have to pay a cover fee to enter a lounge and likewise with any shows. There people after all that don't drink and don't care for any entertainment, so why should they have to subsidize the higher fares to include these items? You want to eat in the MDR or buffet? Fine but you either pay a cover fee or for each item a la carte just like at a hotel. This is the same philosophy the airlines took which is why you now have to pay to check a bag, eat onboard, sometimes order a soda (depending on the airline), and even select a seat in advance. It's called ancillary revenue and the cruise lines are certainly following in the footsteps of the airlines.

Frankly I think people are tired of the nickel and diming and having to hand over the cruise card for every little thing onboard. The cruise can be great but the sticker shock at the end not so much. Suddenly that excellent cruise fare paid doesn't seem like such a bargain anymore. This is one reason that almost every cruise line now offers packages that include all liquor and speciality dining experiences. People want a more inclusive experience, not less.

Of course there are the fully inclusive lines and I have sailed on them, but they are a very different style of cruising and not something I enjoy for every cruise.

Keep in mind right now this is just a test on GETAWAY and BREAKAWAY, but rest assured it will eventually be rolled out fleet wide. Revenue managers are always looking for new ways to increase the onboard revenue stream, and it looks like they just found another one.

16196859350_cdebebf328_c.jpg

And in all fairness now the non-suite guest can get a hot breakfast in room, previously not availiable.

All you Debbie Downers hate progress. NCL started this whole "freestyle" thing and many of you liked it enough to be loyal. Now they institute more "Freestyle" you nag and complain.

The way they istituted the changes kind of sucks and I feel the folks it is effecting should get some sort of OBC, until it is included in the passengers contracts.

What happened to $4.95 on GETAWAY and $7.95 on BREAKAWAY? I guess NCL decided that enough people were willing to pay $7.95 so that is what they went with. Anyone surprised?

I still say this new fee will only encourage food waste. Since people will be charged $7.95 no matter how much or how little they order, guess what they will do? Order a lot of course, and most of it will end up on a tray sitting in the corridor.

Not a smart policy IMO. Carnival's is much better still offering all the original core items at no charge, then a la carte pricing for individual upgraded items. This policy prevents food waste as people will only pay for the individual items they want.

I hope people won't order everything on the menu just to prove a point but you might be right. Carnival's al la carte pricing for the upgrades items will discourage that happening. The menu posted on the Carnival boards has most of the surcharge items priced from $4-$6. If there are 2 or 3 in a cabin, ordering them will cost more than NCLs "convenience charge". Still, I think Carnival has the better plan and people don't seems to be put off by it.

What items are considered continental? Does this also mean no more free room service outside of breakfast hours even for "old" items?

Yep, that's how I take it! Only the breakfast items that was always there.

Harriet

All you Debbie Downers hate progress.

I love progress, when it's in my favor. Progress for the sake of progress is not necessarily a good thing. I'm also not a sheep following a herd. I will voice an opinion when something isn't right. That is real progress, not being a pushover.

If you really want NCL to be Freestyle, then you should be all in favor of what I posted in my previous post. You pay additional for EVERYTHING onboard, and that means the MDR, buffet, any music and entertainment options, even turn-down service. Perhaps a "resort fee" like hotels charge if you want to use the pool and have towel service. If you really want it a la carte, then why not go all the way?