The Real Story Behind Room Service Fee's

ncklhaus

Only balconies and up have coffee pots. But some people like to order coffee regardless as a wake up call.

After hearing stories of how road warriors wash their underwear and socks, lets just say I would rather make the walk to get coffee than use the in room coffee maker. :-)

Exactly. That is what companies count on. Pacification and also the fact that the public quickly forgets. All this will blow over and it will become the new norm, but as I mentioned earlier it's a delicate balance as to what will actually push people over the edge and take their business elsewhere. Businesses have to be very careful not to tip that scale too far.

Only a very small percentage of the population cruise in suites. I'm talking about the general population of the ship which makes up the vast majority.

Anyway just looking at these boards, it seems a lot of people are quite discouraged by NCL as of late. Lots and lots of negative threads with very disgruntled customers. Certainly NCL has touched a lot of nerves, and not in a good way.

I only recently rediscovered NCL. I prefer Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Disney, and Cunard but after a recent cruise on GETAWAY I was impressed. Enough so I booked the PEARL right after, EPIC later this month, and the maiden crossing of ESCAPE in October. I swore off NCL years ago after too many mediocre experiences but all that changed with GETAWAY. It's a new NCL and one that I really enjoy. I don't want to see the experience degraded with a new management team that is perhaps a bit too greedy. Time will tell.

I agree with everything you have posted, eroller. I don't feel like NCL respects us very much or they wouldn't just haphazardly raise/add fees the way they have with no explanation. Do they think we're stupid?:confused:

Oh wait......that's right......I've been reading all the posts since these changes began and yeah, some of us are. ;)

I still have a cruise booked on the Gem for 2016, but if another line can match the price I paid I'll switch. And my Escape cruise is going to be canceled tomorrow. I'll be sailing on the MSC Divina in the Yacht Club instead. :cool:

Hello JoAnn

I grew up in Valley Stream. Worked there most of my career. Haven't been back in many years.

Marc

I grew up in Hewlett and have been in Valley Stream for almost 20 years now. We're right by Green Acres. But we plan on moving to the Gulf Coast of Florida in the next 3-6 years.

Carnival Corp. ships are built by Fincantieri, NCL by Meyer Werft. Meyer Werft ships seem to be assembled with greater care (no plumbing and HVAC issues).

Not all RCI ships are built by Meyer Werft.

I agree with everything you have posted, eroller. I don't feel like NCL respects us very much or they wouldn't just haphazardly raise/add fees the way they have with no explanation. Do they think we're stupid?:confused:

Oh wait......that's right......I've been reading all the posts since these changes began and yeah, some of us are. ;)

I still have a cruise booked on the Gem for 2016, but if another line can match the price I paid I'll switch. And my Escape cruise is going to be canceled tomorrow. I'll be sailing on the MSC Divina in the Yacht Club instead. :cool:

Sounds like all the changes, lack of proper communication, and nickel & diming have already pushed you over the edge to book away from NCL. That is unfortunate for NCL. I'm not at that point yet, but I certainly respect your decision. We all have our own tipping point when we say enough is enough and move on.

I don't get it. We are new to NCL, I keep reading post that there is a coffee pot in the cabins.

why the need for coffee thru room service

Only balcony and above have coffee makers. The inside cabins and ocean view cabins do not have them.

Also, those who order coffee usually also order a pastry or a roll of some sort to go with it.

Free room service was a joy of cruising. It was one of the unique delights of cruising. Pretty soon you'll think you're in a land hotel, except when you look out the window and see the ocean.

I received a copy of this email from my TA this AM so I can confirm the original posters information, though I don't think anyone doubted it. Frankly I agree with most of your observations, although I wonder if making the continental breakfast remain free wasn't a result of our complaints and general outrage. If NCL had only introduced it in this way from the beginning, as sort of a enhancement on the old room service, I think the vast majority of passengers would have been fine with it. The idea that I can have a full meal including desert and coffee delivered to my cabin after a long port day for eight bucks is actually pretty cool. The main problem was the terrible way in which the change was presented. NCL really needs to work on its communication skills!

I emphatically agree that NCL did an extremely poor job of communications and anticipating response (as evidenced by most recent changes to the original plan). I wonder how long it will be before they come out with "URSP" which would provide unlimited room service, for a daily fee.

Edited by AlphaGeek

I wonder how long it will be before they come out with "URSP" which would provide unlimited room service, for a daily fee.

I love it! No doubt in the long term business plan after all this dies down and people forget. That way when the URSP is offered people will think they are getting a great deal!

Sort of like airlines with premium economy. It used to be that every seat had the space of premium economy, but they reduced the seat pitch in the rest of coach so people think that paying a hundred more for premium economy is a great deal. Only a few years ago everyone got it for free. Same with free checked bags. Not long ago all airlines offered two free checked bags. Now you have to sign up for an airline branded credit card to get a free checked bag, and yet you still feel like you got a great deal. LOL

The public quickly forgets. Unfortunate.

The two newest Aida ships are actually being built at MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) in Japan. I doubt the experiment will be repeated.

I agree that Carnival Corp. and Fincantieri certainly support each other, but with the world's major cruise ship builders being downsized to two, you will see more cruise lines going to shipyards you have seen in the past. For instance MSC Cruises has placed new orders with Fincantieri, and historically they have only used STX France in the past. It won't matter much because Fincantieri is in the process of acquiring STX France. Also Royal Caribbean/Celebrity have NEVER built a ship with Fincantieri, but all that will change if STX France becomes a division of Fincantieri.

I meant the newest ones currently in the fleet.

100% of Oceania's ships actually built by Oceania were built by Fincantieri. The rest existed before Oceania existed.

But they are still all Oceania ships because they own them ;). Splitting hairs there.

I love it! No doubt in the long term business plan after all this dies down and people forget. That way when the URSP is offered people will think they are getting a great deal!

Sort of like airlines with premium economy. It used to be that every seat had the space of premium economy, but they reduced the seat pitch in the rest of coach so people think that paying a hundred more for premium economy is a great deal. Only a few years ago everyone got it for free. Same with free checked bags. Not long ago all airlines offered two free checked bags. Now you have to sign up for an airline branded credit card to get a free checked bag, and yet you still feel like you got a great deal. LOL

The public quickly forgets. Unfortunate.

Again, you nailed it. DH and I like to fly United and I used to love jumping online 24 hours before the flight to score two exit row seats for us. It made me feel so wise in the ways of airline travel. ;) Now I feel wise and superior for having their credit card and getting our baggage fees waived and two 'free' passes to their lounge once a year. Forget reward flights- they're practically extinct. All this for just an exorbitant annual fee. :rolleyes: Ah, the dumbing of America. (And pretty much everyone else.) BTW, NCL won't miss me. I got us a Penthouse Suite in the Haven on Escape with $300 OBC for less than $4250 total. I just wish I could pass that deal on to someone else when I dump it tomorrow.

But they are still all Oceania ships because they own them ;). Splitting hairs there.

Of course it was splitting hairs :D. All these conversations were getting so heavy, except I noticed your smilie, and besides it was the first time in a long time I saw someone mention Oceania :cool:.

... DH and I like to fly United and I used to love jumping online 24 hours before the flight to score two exit row seats for us. It made me feel so wise in the ways of airline travel. ;) Now I feel wise and superior ... for just an exorbitant annual fee. :rolleyes: Ah ... NCL won't miss me. ...

<< Like >> + 2 here

We've taken that path with UA, flown them since the mid 70's and old UA gate agents used to say, wow - your MP # when was that you joined ... DW's CC has been cancelled and haven't flown them in 18+ months, especially when flights from our closest hub, LGA - 3 miles away (1.5 miles across the Flushing Bay) is now at JFK but really EWR when they re-positioned most of their regional - long haul narrow bodied jets for their benefits, not ours; so we voted accordingly ... with our wallets for the "perks" upfront, E+ is really E then on the DC10/B767 days.

Not quite willing and ready to dump NCL, but maybe some of us got their attention out of the corners of their eyes - we care about the basic products sold, not the disguised upgrades that some "cherished" so dearly. We can still unpack our own clothing & don't need to wear a tux or get shoes polished nightly, etc. Our own value systems are a little different and it's okay to not tell someone else what to do with their own money, not mine so think before acting or speaking. Plenty of cruise lines to consider besides NCL who came back from nearly ... on our radar is Princess.

As for another line, they still serve a good petite mignon steak & eggs for breakfast with no surcharge or fees in the MDR, don't need a special sticker - NCL "intel" officers patrolling - better inform the bosses if you plan to compete on an upscale basis for my/our money plus I will steer clear of all the seafood topics while I'm at it.

On stories of the road warriors, washing items in the sink ain't nothing but it's almost (early seating, LOL) lunch time so I won't gross some of you out with the horrors. We re-wash & clean the cups, glasses & the pot first - check it out for dust & mineral deposits.

Just leave that ice bucket in the stateroom and don't lock that mini-bar or cooler box out or attempt a daily convenience rental fee as some hotels do unless ... or get funny ideas, and, we might just sail again sooner than later - still outside the cancellation window for our next one.

Edited by mking8288

I believe that NCL was going to charge the $7.95 for everything and due to the unrest of the natives, they threw us a bone and will not charge for what I call a continental breakfast. I have a friend who is on the Breakaway and saw them loading skids of water meters that take coins. :D