The Real Story Behind Room Service Fee's

ncklhaus

Frankly I think people are tired of the nickel and diming and having to hand over the cruise card for every little thing onboard. The cruise can be great but the sticker shock at the end not so much. Suddenly that excellent cruise fare paid doesn't seem like such a bargain anymore. This is one reason that almost every cruise line now offers packages that include all liquor and speciality dining experiences. People want a more inclusive experience, not less.

Is NCL 100% ala carte, NO. But more so than other major cruiselines.

The stats show the cruiseline that folks don't want more inclusive or they just can't afford it. Other cruiselines are slowly following the NCL lead too.

Cruise 15 years ago on RCCL balcony room was $1400 p/p and $700 for our son. Booked one year in advance.

15 years later on NCL to Bermuda on the DAWN in a SJ suite $1400 p/p, + $400 OBC. Booked one year in advance.

With inflation and all, this years cruise should be much more expensive, too much for me to afford. But it isn't, due to the way NCL does things.

We can revisit this whole issue in a couple years, we will see if the cruiseline still sells out or not.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I received this email today. Finally, some clarification on the details. Now we can all stop assuming what is going on. :D

Hello Joann,

As a valued travel partner we want to provide you with an update on our room service offerings.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Regards,

Industry Development Team

Norwegian Cruise Line

What about guests staying in a regular suite. Are they going to make us pay the fee even though we are ordering from Cagney's/Moderno?

Sounds like this is another typo/lack of communation from NCL. Unless they are refering to the Haven because the trial is only on Getaway and Breakaway. I wonder what is going to happen when this goes fleet-wide.

Edited by jmele999

And in all fairness now the non-suite guest can get a hot breakfast in room, previously not availiable.

All you Debbie Downers hate progress. NCL started this whole "freestyle" thing and many of you liked it enough to be loyal. Now they institute more "Freestyle" you nag and complain.

The way they istituted the changes kind of sucks and I feel the folks it is effecting should get some sort of OBC, until it is included in the passengers contracts.

I received a copy of this email from my TA this AM so I can confirm the original posters information, though I don't think anyone doubted it. Frankly I agree with most of your observations, although I wonder if making the continental breakfast remain free wasn't a result of our complaints and general outrage. If NCL had only introduced it in this way from the beginning, as sort of a enhancement on the old room service, I think the vast majority of passengers would have been fine with it. The idea that I can have a full meal including desert and coffee delivered to my cabin after a long port day for eight bucks is actually pretty cool. The main problem was the terrible way in which the change was presented. NCL really needs to work on its communication skills!

I love progress, when it's in my favor. Progress for the sake of progress is not necessarily a good thing. I'm also not a sheep following a herd. I will voice an opinion when something isn't right. That is real progress, not being a pushover.

If you really want NCL to be Freestyle, then you should be all in favor of what I posted in my previous post. You pay additional for EVERYTHING onboard, and that means the MDR, buffet, any music and entertainment options, even turn-down service. Perhaps a "resort fee" like hotels charge if you want to use the pool and have towel service. If you really want it a la carte, then why not go all the way?

I never said I wanted 100% ala cart. Sould I have to help pay for everyone to eat at Cagney's every night? Do I like seeing pizza all over the halls (more so in the past, when "complimentary")

If they did that and my initial cruise price stayed low? Yeah! I'm for that. I don't use the pool, I purchase a spa pass and use the lap pool on the DAWN.

When they were not as ala carte I liked that too. But I am not going to sit around and be a grump over a business that I choose to do business with make a profit. No profit, no cruises. It is that simple.

If I could afford to sail on one of them All-Inclusive cruises I probably would. And I bet I would really enjoy it. But no, I sail with NCL. They offer a enjoyable product at a reasonable price.

Is NCL 100% ala carte, NO. But more so than other major cruiselines.

The stats show the cruiseline that folks don't want more inclusive or they just can't afford it. Other cruiselines are slowly following the NCL lead too.

Cruise 15 years ago on RCCL balcony room was $1400 p/p and $700 for our son. Booked one year in advance.

15 years later on NCL to Bermuda on the DAWN in a SJ suite $1400 p/p, third person no charge. Booked one year in advance.

With inflation and all, this years cruise should be much more expensive, too much for me to afford. But it isn't, due to the way NCL does things.

We can revisit this whole issue in a couple years, we will see if the cruiseline still sells out or not.

Well some want inclusive and some don't, which is why there are options. Mass-market lines like NCL are discovering that many do want an inclusive experience, which is why they have added options like unlimited dining and beverage.

Cruises are definitely priced too low but this is the cruise lines own fault. My family paid more for a 3-berth inside cabin on the NORWAY in 1980 than a balcony today. That is insane and something has to give of course, but the cruise lines created this monster. To compensate for a static pricing market in which they created, they have figured out new and innovative ways to increase onboard revenue. It's a delicate balance though because if they charge too many extra fees people get turned off. There is a limit to what additional fees people will accept before deciding there is no longer value in a cruise vacation (or certain cruise line) and they look for other options. Ticket pricing all comes down to supply and demand. Cruise lines have overbuilt the industry with tons and tons of new builds, which has kept pricing low for years, and now these are the prices that prospective passengers are conditioned to pay. If cruise lines raise prices too high, people won't pay it because they are conditioned not to. They have in their mind what a 7-day cruise should cost. Airlines went through the same thing but they have stabilized capacity which has resulted in airfares much more in line with where they should be. Cruise lines need to do the same thing from a business standpoint, but currently there is no slowing of new build orders. Of course the new ships have several advantages which do help the bottom line. They are much more cost efficient to operate and they are also designed to maximize onboard revenue. Unfortunately even the newest ships don't get premium ticket pricing anymore, simply because there are too many of them. There are some exceptions of course, but generally speaking.

As for NCL being able to lower cruise fares because they are less inclusive, I don't really agree with that. Carnival is actually less expensive than NCL and many may agree that more is actually included on a Carnival cruise.

i received a copy of this email from my ta this am so i can confirm the original posters information, though i don't think anyone doubted it. Frankly i agree with most of your observations, although i wonder if making the continental breakfast remain free wasn't a result of our complaints and general outrage. If ncl had only introduced it in this way from the beginning, as sort of a enhancement on the old room service, i think the vast majority of passengers would have been fine with it. The idea that i can have a full meal including desert and coffee delivered to my cabin after a long port day for eight bucks is actually pretty cool. The main problem was the terrible way in which the change was presented. Ncl really needs to work on its communication skills!

But I am not going to sit around and be a grump over a business that I choose to do business with make a profit.

I do business with NCL because I generally enjoy the experience as I do with other cruise lines. Does that mean I like every policy they implement? Absolutely not. Does that mean I don't have the right to voice an opinion or even complain in an attempt to make things better? Absolutely not. As a valued consumer of said business I have every right to voice an opinion. The consumer has the power but only if you make yourself heard. If everyone just followed every new policy (good or bad) like sheep nothing would ever change for the better. That goes for life in general. I can't imagine just shrugging my shoulders and moving on when something changes for the worst that you are passionate about. You also have to respect the fact that people are passionate about different things. What might seem meaningless to you may be a major deal to someone else. We all have different mind sets, life experiences, and expectations. This one policy change along is not a big deal to me, especially because I rarely if ever order room service. It's the bigger picture and the chipping away at the traditional cruise experience that concerns me.

Us, too! We just like coffee and a couple pastries on our balcony each morning, so if that's the case, yay! If we want something more elaborate, we're willing to pay the fee for it.

I don't get it. We are new to NCL, I keep reading post that there is a coffee pot in the cabins.

why the need for coffee thru room service

As for NCL being able to lower cruise fares because they are less inclusive, I don't really agree with that. Carnival is actually less expensive than NCL and many may agree that more is actually included on a Carnival cruise.

I respectfully disagree! Suites for a Carnival cruise is generally more expensive and a lot less perks.

Also (this is not a diss, only an observation) the fit and finnish of a NCL ship seems more refined than on Carnival. Though NCL is a long way from HAL and Celebrity. Maintenance on NCL too is more obvious than the other 3 mentioned lines. I have sailed a lot of lines and this is only my observation. A lot of factors go into a cruise fare and I believe all the "complimentary" things add up to a lot of money in the end.

It is not like NCL is raking in exorbitant profits compared to the other major cruiselines.

in order to understand why so many cruisers are fed up, you have to look at the big picture. It is not just room service, it is a list of fee increases and add ons going back several weeks. Mostly all implemented with no warning, no clarification and no change to the ncl website's wording covering these changes until quite some time after the changes were initiated. And any official statements from ncl's pr department were really a disgrace, an insult to our intelligence and an embarrassment to ncl's image. As an example, justifying an 18% auto gratuity and service charge added to the cover charge in a specialty restaurant as being in line with the standard practice in land based restaurants. I don't know what restaurants they eat at, but i've never seen any, except on group checks, that auto added a tip. And by the way, no clarification re the daily service charge which is supposed to already be covering the gratuity for this waiter.

bravo

Edited by eroller

I respectfully disagree! Suites for a Carnival cruise is generally more expensive and a lot less perks.

Only a very small percentage of the population cruise in suites. I'm talking about the general population of the ship which makes up the vast majority.

Anyway just looking at these boards, it seems a lot of people are quite discouraged by NCL as of late. Lots and lots of negative threads with very disgruntled customers. Certainly NCL has touched a lot of nerves, and not in a good way.

I only recently rediscovered NCL. I prefer Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Disney, and Cunard but after a recent cruise on GETAWAY I was impressed. Enough so I booked the PEARL right after, EPIC later this month, and the maiden crossing of ESCAPE in October. I swore off NCL years ago after too many mediocre experiences but all that changed with GETAWAY. It's a new NCL and one that I really enjoy. I don't want to see the experience degraded with a new management team that is perhaps a bit too greedy. Time will tell.

Edited by eroller

Good to know. We've never used room service so it doesn't bother me. It seems like it's happening in many industries so not surprised that cruise lines will do it. The one that drives me crazy is the airlines charging for everything and reducing seat sizes. We complain but eventually get used to it or pay extra so I guess the same will happen here.

I received this email today. Finally, some clarification on the details. Now we can all stop assuming what is going on. :D

Hello Joann,

As a valued travel partner we want to provide you with an update on our room service offerings.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Regards,

Industry Development Team

Norwegian Cruise Line

Thanks for posting this clarification. But with the 100 or so pages on the original thread about this I had already ordered my bomb shelter and started the hole in my backyard. Now that Armageddon has been averted what do I do with that hole? :mad:

I think I'll outfit the bomb shelter with some outriggers and sail down to Florida for my next NCL cruise. :D:p

I don't get it. We are new to NCL, I keep reading post that there is a coffee pot in the cabins.

IMHO, because you also could order a continental breakfast; they would bring it to you for no 'convenience' charge. It seems that is still the case. :)

We complain but eventually get used to it or pay extra so I guess the same will happen here.

Exactly. That is what companies count on. Pacification and also the fact that the public quickly forgets. All this will blow over and it will become the new norm, but as I mentioned earlier it's a delicate balance as to what will actually push people over the edge and take their business elsewhere. Businesses have to be very careful not to tip that scale too far.

Also (this is not a diss, only an observation) the fit and finnish of a NCL ship seems more refined than on Carnival. Though NCL is a long way from HAL and Celebrity. Maintenance on NCL too is more obvious than the other 3 mentioned lines. I have sailed a lot of lines and this is only my observation. A lot of factors go into a cruise fare and I believe all the "complimentary" things add up to a lot of money in the end.

It is not like NCL is raking in exorbitant profits compared to the other major cruiselines.

Carnival Corp. ships are built by Fincantieri, NCL by Meyer Werft. Meyer Werft ships seem to be assembled with greater care (no plumbing and HVAC issues).

Carnival Corp. ships are built by Fincantieri, NCL by Meyer Werft. Meyer Werft ships seem to be assembled with greater care (no plumbing and HVAC issues).

Disney, Holland America, Oceania, along with many other families of ships were also built by Finantieri....so not sure your comment is a valid one. Mechanical things do break down if not serviced in a timely manner.

Disney, Holland America, Oceania, along with many other families of ships were also built by Finantieri....so not sure your comment is a valid one. Mechanical things do break down if not serviced in a timely manner.

Very true. The new Viking Ocean ships are being built at Fincantieri as well as were all the new Seabourn ships.

Also keep in mind that Fincantieri is in the process of acquiring STX France and Meyer-Werft recently completed its acquisition of STX Finland, so the passenger shipbuilding playing field is getting much smaller. Essentially from four major shipbuilders down to two.

All this being said, I do feel that Meyer-Werft in Germany builds the best passenger ships afloat. The attention to detail and quality of workmanship is very apparent.

NORWEGIAN EPIC BTW was built at STX France and the workmanship was appalling. NCL actually took delivery of the ship early to avoid any further sabotage from the shipyard. Not a bright spot for NCL or the shipyard at the time.

Edited by eroller

Only balconies and up have coffee pots. But some people like to order coffee regardless as a wake up call.

Only balconies and up have coffee pots. But some people like to order coffee regardless as a wake up call.

Not to mention that the coffee from those "pods" is nasty. Room service is much better and you get an entire insulated carafe which keeps it hot.

Very true. The new Viking Ocean ships are being built at Fincantieri as well as were all the new Seabourn ships.

Also keep in mind that Fincantieri is in the process of acquiring STX France and Meyer-Werft recently completed its acquisition of STX Finland, so the passenger shipbuilding playing field is getting much smaller. Essentially from four major shipbuilders down to two.

All this being said, I do feel that Meyer-Werft in Germany builds the best passenger ships afloat. The attention to detail and quality of workmanship is very apparent.

NORWEGIAN EPIC BTW was built at STX France and the workmanship was appalling. NCL actually took delivery of the ship early to avoid any further sabotage from the shipyard. Not a bright spot for NCL or the shipyard at the time.

What I was getting at (fit and Finnish) is NCL must contract the ship builder to a given fit and finnish. Obviously (to me) Carnival does not put the money and effort to the extra fit and finnish. NCL does.

The Holland ships I have been on have had deplorable fit and finish. And half of the Disney fleet is Meyer Werft. Fact is, when it comes to plumbing and HVAC issues, Fincantieri has far more than the MW built vessels.

And only 2 Oceania ships are built by Fincantieri. ;).

If you look at orders, all but 3 NCL ships are from Meyer, RCL has at least 4, and all the Celebrity fleet. Heck..even the new Aida ships are being built at MW.

Carnival Corp. keeps Fincantieri in business... They even admitted that they went back to T. Mariotti for the latest ships for Seabourn, but were turned down. Thus, they were forced to Fincantieri.

Edited by UPNYGuy

Not to mention that the coffee from those "pods" is nasty. Room service is much better and you get an entire insulated carafe which keeps it hot.

punkin, I bet you already know this, but if you bring a bag of your favorite coffee and some filters with you, that little coffee maker makes a pretty good cup of coffee. Tastier than the room service and hotter too. Still, I do like the pastry!:)

Heck..even the new Aida ships are being built at MW.

Carnival Corp. keeps Fincantieri in business...

The two newest Aida ships are actually being built at MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) in Japan. I doubt the experiment will be repeated.

I agree that Carnival Corp. and Fincantieri certainly support each other, but with the world's major cruise ship builders being downsized to two, you will see more cruise lines going to shipyards you have seen in the past. For instance MSC Cruises has placed new orders with Fincantieri, and historically they have only used STX France in the past. It won't matter much because Fincantieri is in the process of acquiring STX France. Also Royal Caribbean/Celebrity have NEVER built a ship with Fincantieri, but all that will change if STX France becomes a division of Fincantieri.