Cruising for the first time in 2016

Irun26

Hi.

My wife, 3 kids (13, 101 and 10 (yes they are twins)) and I will be going on our first ever cruise April 2 of next year. We are sailing out of Houston on the Norwegian Jade and can't wait. It is going to be a LONG year waiting!

We booked 2 connecting balcony rooms and have the UBP included. We also decided to prepay the gratuity. We debated about going with the UDP but decided since this is our first cruise we want to find out what the whole experience is like and not lock ourselves into eating at a specialty restaurants every night. We might "splurge" one night and go to a specialty restaurant.

I've been browsing through the info in the forums, reading reviews, and otherwise just "lurking" as we've been thinking about booking this trip. Let me just say, there is a wealth of great information here and I've appreciated many of the reviews and advice already. We have a lot to learn about in the next 12 months but can't wait. Oh and the kids won't know about this trip until Christmas. I'm not sure I will be able to keep it a secret that long. :P

Any suggestions, advice on excursions, tips on "must read threads", etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

My wife, 3 kids (13, 101 and 10 (yes they are twins)) and I will be going on our first ever cruise April 2 of next year. We are sailing out of Houston on the Norwegian Jade and can't wait. It is going to be a LONG year waiting!

We booked 2 connecting balcony rooms and have the UBP included. We also decided to prepay the gratuity. We debated about going with the UDP but decided since this is our first cruise we want to find out what the whole experience is like and not lock ourselves into eating at a specialty restaurants every night. We might "splurge" one night and go to a specialty restaurant.

I've been browsing through the info in the forums, reading reviews, and otherwise just "lurking" as we've been thinking about booking this trip. Let me just say, there is a wealth of great information here and I've appreciated many of the reviews and advice already. We have a lot to learn about in the next 12 months but can't wait. Oh and the kids won't know about this trip until Christmas. I'm not sure I will be able to keep it a secret that long. :P

Any suggestions, advice on excursions, tips on "must read threads", etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

91 years difference :):):)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You have plenty of time to plan, so I would take one port at a time. Study it to see what most appeals to you and your family for it. Then you can determine if you are better off on a ship's excursion, a private excursion or just doing it on your own.

Four our first cruise-- we let the kids know of our expectations.

Dinner together every night was mandatory.

NO going into any cabin area for any reason whatsoever- even walking a new found friend to get get something from their cabin is a no no- they are to stay in public areas only.

Whatever you do-- keep that secret it will be worth it in the long run

NO going into any cabin area for any reason whatsoever- even walking a new found friend to get get something from their cabin is a no no- they are to stay in public areas only.....

That brings up a good point. Do you let your kids wander the public areas on their own or do you try to go places together? Can they go and get an afternoon snack/soda on their own? Are they allowed to be in the pool if we are not on the pool deck?

I wouldn't let kids "wander" or "roam"....that's just asking for trouble! I would, however, allow them to go to specific things for specific reasons....like to the arcade for an hour, or to an activity. I would require them come back to you before going to the next thing....physical check ins would be a must!

As far as the pool, I wouldn't let my kids swim without me there....there are NO lifeguards, and you never know what could happen. YOU are responsible for YOUR kids and their safety!

Sure, I'd let them go and get a snack (that's a specific reason!)...and come back to me.

Sorry "wander" was the wrong choice of words and you answered perfectly. Yes going some place specific with a set time and return is what we would do if they were to go some place without one of us. More than likely we will probably all go together or split up 2 and 3.

As for the pool, good to know about no lifeguards, I couldn't see letting them be there without one of us anyway. Yes, I understand we are fully responsible for our kids and their safety. As a parent I take that responsibility very seriously.

Sorry "wander" was the wrong choice of words and you answered perfectly. Yes going some place specific with a set time and return is what we would do if they were to go some place without one of us. More than likely we will probably all go together or split up 2 and 3.

As for the pool, good to know about no lifeguards, I couldn't see letting them be there without one of us anyway. Yes, I understand we are fully responsible for our kids and their safety. As a parent I take that responsibility very seriously.

My granddaughters were 10 and 13 when I took them. We had breakfast and dinner together and discussed the days plans. If they changed location, they had to notify me either in person or by leaving a note in the room. I did the same for them. They had a preset spending limit on their sea cards so that they could get sodas, ice cream or play in the arcade. It worked like a charm

That brings up a good point. Do you let your kids wander the public areas on their own or do you try to go places together? Can they go and get an afternoon snack/soda on their own? Are they allowed to be in the pool if we are not on the pool deck?

if you look at the deck plans you will see the majority of the decks are cabin space so there is only a few decks where they can wander.

It was hard the first time I allowed GD (age 9) to do this last cruise but she did very well.

I never allowed them to swim without me. (even the slides on carnival) I just did not trust enough the people I was sailing with.

Pools are not that big. My SIL was shocked how small they really were I am guessing she thought they be olympic size for the amount of people onboard.

Edited by serene56