New tour packages-on your own big time

AKman2495

I just received an e--mail from Princess describing new tour opportunities-on your own. Apparently, in some ports you can rent a private vehicle for 1/2 day or full day and you and your small group can go off and do what you want.

But..they are pricey..A full day in Rotterdam can run $2,100 for the day!

They are listed in the excursions. just like any other excursion.

It looks like the private excursions that most cruisers arrange (including myself) are eating into the Princess budget. While wanting to get into the action, the cruiseline tours are still too costly.

I think I will stick with my private excursions.;)

We do ships excursions in almost every port we go to. I know we could do some of them for less money but it just isnt worth our time to do all the research and the planning not to mention the possible problems with collecting money from others and/or others backing out last minute etc.

I wish Princess would have some sort of rewards for those of us who stick with their shore excursions pretty much exclusively. It would be easy to have a flat % off all your excursions if you book certain numbers depending on the cruise. Celebrity was experimenting with excursion discounts if you booked a certain number of them awhile back.

We are such bargain hunters / last minute cruise bookers that we dont mind giving Princess a substantial amount of profit for their excursions but they must make a lot of $ on some of them! Good thing we are shareholders as well.

Terry

I just received an e--mail from Princess describing new tour opportunities-on your own. Apparently, in some ports you can rent a private vehicle for 1/2 day or full day and you and your small group can go off and do what you want.

So, since it is a Princess excursion will the ship wait for you if you are late returning to the ship?

I am sure that they would wait for you if it was one of their excursions.

The cost is definitely high. I have arranged many such private tours on my own and never had a problem with people not showing. Have had people who could not make it pay for their trip anyway. Mainly, however, we have always traveled with a couple of other couples and the six of us have arranged our own transport and guides.

I think this is an excellent idea for Princess to recapture some of those arranging personal tours. They should re-think their pricing on some of these tours. They might make more money doing more smaller tours at a reasonable price and count on increased #'s of people utilizing their services.

Wow! $2,100!:eek:

I hired a fantastic car and driver for four of us last summer in Amsterdam. We were picked up at the cruise terminal at 9:00 on the day we disembarked, and spent the day touring the small towns and fishing villages in that part of the country. We got dropped off at our hotel around 4:30 or 5:00. Cost? 150 Euros.:D

Edited by Cindy

I almost fell off my chair when I saw them added to the excursions available to me. Even though I got the email the other day they were added to our excursion choices about maybe 10 days ago. In Rotterdam it does go as high as $2200 and as low as $625. It all depends on the vehicle size and if the driver is just a driver but also a guide. Keep in mind that these prices are per person too! Makes the small tour that is Amsterdam and the Anne Frank House (only option if you want ship excursion and also go inside the house) look inexpensive! That one is $380/per and 8 hour day. If they are trying to compete with private tours then I think they missed their mark.

I almost fell off my chair when I saw them added to the excursions available to me. Even though I got the email the other day they were added to our excursion choices about maybe 10 days ago. In Rotterdam it does go as high as $2200 and as low as $625. It all depends on the vehicle size and if the driver is just a driver but also a guide. Keep in mind that these prices are per person too! Makes the small tour that is Amsterdam and the Anne Frank House (only option if you want ship excursion and also go inside the house) look inexpensive! That one is $380/per and 8 hour day. If they are trying to compete with private tours then I think they missed their mark.

No.

From the Princess web site:

These tours are ordered per vehicle. One person in your party places the order for the vehicle; the entire cost of the vehicle is charged to that person's shipboard account and cannot be divided among the party. A tour ticket will be issued onboard the ship and delivered to the cabin of the person booking this tour on embarkation day. Once onboard the ship, you will receive a form requesting the names of each individual in your party. This information is required to allow your party to disembark the ship for the tour. Please provide this information promptly to avoid being denied to participate.

Princess has done this for a while, they are just expanding it. And think of it, they are probably hiring the exact same services that we are, even with a discount on their side, the markup is going to keep it higher.

The advantage is you do get the Princess make the ship guarantee AND you can complain to Princess if you have issues. For someone who really wants to do private touring but is terrified of missing the ship, the premium might be worth it.

They also advertise "new family excursions", but there doesn't seem to be anything new, or remotely specifically designed for families. They also say that there are children prices up to 50% the cost of the adult fares, again, couldn't see any of those either...

Glad to know those prices are per vehicle!!!!

I checked my itinerary and clicked on Rotterdam… nothing says family. I clicked on Cobh (for Blarney Castle) and found one that does. It is 8 hours and adults are $200 and kids are $90. I didn't check our other ports.

I am sure that they would wait for you if it was one of their excursions.

I assume so...Here is what the details provide:

Vehicles are offered on a full-day (eight hours) basis. Deviations to duration, departure / return time or locations to be visited can be made onboard in advance but will incur an additional charge. This is a private arrangement, those accompanying you are the family or friends with whom you agree to share costs. We do not match groups of passengers to form a private group for the vehicle. Vehicles and guides are extremely limited therefore reserve early. These are special tours designed to offer the privacy and flexibility of touring with family or friends and the convenience of sightseeing at your own pace. We also recommend private tours for non-ambulatory passengers.

Looks like they provide guides so, they will make reasonably sure you get back in time and they probably will be in communication with the ship too.

FWIW

I assume so...Here is what the details provide:

Vehicles are offered on a full-day (eight hours) basis. Deviations to duration, departure / return time or locations to be visited can be made onboard in advance but will incur an additional charge. This is a private arrangement, those accompanying you are the family or friends with whom you agree to share costs. We do not match groups of passengers to form a private group for the vehicle. Vehicles and guides are extremely limited therefore reserve early. These are special tours designed to offer the privacy and flexibility of touring with family or friends and the convenience of sightseeing at your own pace. We also recommend private tours for non-ambulatory passengers.

Looks like they provide guides so, they will make reasonably sure you get back in time and they probably will be in communication with the ship too.

FWIW

If it does not say there will be a guide, assume there will not be.

Hi All

Princess e mail

Based on our loyal passengers’ feedback we’ve created new Family Excursions, Create Your Own Excursions, and Small Group Excursions so you can get the most out of your upcoming voyage and Come Back New! The new Shore Excursions themes will be included in the excursion titles in Cruise Personalizer to help you easily find these Shore Excursions.

Here are the benefits and details for each of the new excursion themes we have created for you!

Family Excursions Family Excursions

Discounted child pricing available for all excursions.

Guides geared toward families with younger children.

Child-friendly meals are included with these excursions.

Customize Your Own Private Excursions Customize Your Own Private Excursions

Customize your own itinerary for the day with the help of an onboard destination expert.

You will have the choice to travel by private car or van to your excursion.

Get the most out of your time at each port.

Small Group Excursions Small Group Excursions

Groups of 25 or less to create a more intimate experience.

Experience the port with passengers who have similar interests.

Enjoy greater interaction with your tour guide.

yours Shogun