What happened to Serenade? It's stopped.

We are so excited to hopefully sail the last part of Mississippi in daylight! We also think it's New Orleans way to tell RCCL they don't want SR or any ship to leave! Will be on balcony all day enjoying this with phone working as well as Internet! Win-win for us!

My husband and I live just south of New Orleans, a one hour ship ride from the port.

DH works on the Mississippi River about 45 minutes from NOLA. There is a tug that sits at the dock of the Oil terminal where he works. I had him call the tug captain to find out why ships were anchored on the west bank of the river and not able to proceed south to the gulf. He (tug captain) said that there was no information on the radio's not to proceed down the river or that vessels were being stopped at any point. He said there was marine traffic in both directions.

Not sure what's going on.

Edited by SAS21

My husband and I live just south of New Orleans, a one hour ship ride from the port.

DH works on the Mississippi River about 45 minutes from NOLA. There is a tug that sits at the dock of the Oil terminal where he works. I had him call the tug captain to find out why ships were anchored on the west bank of the river and not able to proceed south to the gulf. He (tug captain) said that there was no information on the radio's not to proceed down the river or that vessels were being stopped at any point. He said there was marine traffic in both directions.

Not sure what's going on.

Just off Norwegian Dawn, we encountered a lot of traffic but crawling at 4+ kts does not seem right. We were averaging about 14 kts going upstream last night and about 18 kts going downstream last Sunday.

Just off Norwegian Dawn' date=' we encountered a lot of traffic but crawling at 4+ kts does not seem right. We were averaging about 14 kts going upstream last night and about 18 kts going downstream last Sunday.[/quote']

I was trying to help figure things out, but came up empty. Oh well, she is underway now.

Everyone have a great cruise. Love the Serenade, sailed her 4 times.

I was trying to help figure things out, but came up empty. Oh well, she is underway now.

Everyone have a great cruise. Love the Serenade, sailed her 4 times.

Just glad its not a ship problem. We are sailing on the first cruise after the Ta in May to the Norwegian Fjords

At least they have some passing boats to watch. On the Jan 24 2015 trip it was just us but I did enjoy seeing some of the river during daylight hours. I, for one, will not miss the New Orleans port. It seems they are having a lot of problems there this year. Some are ship problems some are not. Cruising from an inland port never made sense to me. I was not impressed with the chaos at the terminal and how poorly it was handled on our trip. I am sorry for those who like to cruise from New Orleans. As they say, I am glad I cruised from New Orleans and now I never have to do it again.

DH and I just got of Serenade (reluctantly) yesterday. As mentioned above, we were 1 hour late coming in due to some issue in the Mississippi and also made a unplanned stop in Miami enroute to NOLA due to medical emergency. I surely regretted not booking the B2B. Even though you're behind schedule, like others said, we love sailing down the river from NOLA and would love to see more of it during daylight hours. We, too, are so sorry to see RCL pull out of NOLA as that is our favorite port (and close to home). Hope everyone has a fantastic cruise this week!

Summary of events:

We left dock essentially on time. Came to a stop late in the evening. Dropped anchor and stayed in position all night (of note, everyone except one passenger near an anchor had a marvelous sleep. Not one complaint of sea sickness)..

Captain came on the tannoy around 0700 to explain: The China Star - a bulk hauler lost power in a fairly narrow area of the river. Four tugs weren't able to keep her properly stabilized (full and attempting to drift into the center) so everyone was held in place.

[They didn't tell us, but it was obvious that they gave priority to the NCL Dawn and the Carnival Dream in order to get them to port for turnaround on the 12th]

It took till about 1100 and six tugs to hold her. We did a multiple point turn again to head out (all ships hanging out in a river need to face into the current....) We passed the China Star with her tugs. Saw the crew sitting on the deck. Cooking on small grills. One just hopes that they get fixed and fed without a fire hazard....

-Holly

who didn't really care if we miss Grand Cayman on the way to Boston and on to Copenhagen. There are too many C&A on the trip....36P/~260+D+/>350 D.... it makes for a crowded lounge....

Summary of events:

We left dock essentially on time. Came to a stop late in the evening. Dropped anchor and stayed in position all night (of note, everyone except one passenger near an anchor had a marvelous sleep. Not one complaint of sea sickness)..

Captain came on the tannoy around 0700 to explain: The China Star - a bulk hauler lost power in a fairly narrow area of the river. Four tugs weren't able to keep her properly stabilized (full and attempting to drift into the center) so everyone was held in place.

[They didn't tell us, but it was obvious that they gave priority to the NCL Dawn and the Carnival Dream in order to get them to port for turnaround on the 12th]

It took till about 1100 and six tugs to hold her. We did a multiple point turn again to head out (all ships hanging out in a river need to face into the current....) We passed the China Star with her tugs. Saw the crew sitting on the deck. Cooking on small grills. One just hopes that they get fixed and fed without a fire hazard....

-Holly

who didn't really care if we miss Grand Cayman on the way to Boston and on to Copenhagen. There are too many C&A on the trip....36P/~260+D+/>350 D.... it makes for a crowded lounge....

Thanks for the detailed report. Glad you are on your way. Hope the lounge isn't so crowded when get on the first cruise out of Copenhagen

Sent from my C6903 using Forums mobile app

Summary of events:

-Holly

Thanks very much for the detailed update!:)

At least they have some passing boats to watch. On the Jan 24 2015 trip it was just us but I did enjoy seeing some of the river during daylight hours. I, for one, will not miss the New Orleans port. It seems they are having a lot of problems there this year. Some are ship problems some are not. Cruising from an inland port never made sense to me. I was not impressed with the chaos at the terminal and how poorly it was handled on our trip. I am sorry for those who like to cruise from New Orleans. As they say, I am glad I cruised from New Orleans and now I never have to do it again.

Wow, we were very impressed with the NOLA cruise terminal. It was the best run cruise terminal we had ever gone through by far (although we just cruised out of Tampa and it was also very well run) so you must have gone through on a bad day. :D