Navigator - Alaska - May 1-10, 2015

<yawn> ... just pulled up to the pier in Astoria.

It's nice to be able to walk without bouncing off the walls. :p

Short tour of the city this a.m. then will just savor terre firma for a while. :cool:

Stop at the Columbia maritime museum in town. it is excellent. Watch the video of the CG ship rescue, that will make your heavy seas seem tame.:eek:

Ron (and Angela) - We love the Navigator, too! Despite what some of the "naysayers" might think ((You can certainly like one particular ship - without having to "dislike" another one)). We can't wait to sail her again in October!

Hope you have a great time in Alaska. We'll be following all your reports, as well as enjoying all of your pictures throughout the trip. Best Regards.

Update...

I am in deep trouble. ..

Angela is simply loving this ship... :p

So happy to hear! I am also one that loves the Navigator. Hope the rest of your journey continues to create wonderful memories!

Edited by vitacura

We set sail in about 30 mins.

Astoria was delightful little town...with much history.

Saw the museum, climbed the Tower...

...and looked for where they filmed "Goonies".

Tonite..dinner in Sette Mare and a JAR show.

Edited by computerworks

Thanks for the info on Pier 27 computerworks :) We love Astoria, have been there several times via land and will look forward to sailing into the Columbia River in 2016. Sometimes "quaint" can be used in a derogatory fashion, but it applies in a positive way (IMO) to Astoria. Being originally from Oregon, I can't disparage any part of it :D

Edited by PirateShark

Overall...an amazing day.

Unexpected beautiful weather in Astoria... clear blue skies and 60's.

Sailaway at 3pm... announcement soon after that they were emptying the pool deck of all passengers and furniture.. that it was too rough for the pilot boat, so they were sending a helicopter to fetch the pilot.

Made a low pass over the pool and hoisted him up on a cable... very cool.

Block party at 6pm tonite... now that was fun.

Will try for some pictures later. ;)

Even worse today..... :eek:

News gets better every day.

I was just thinking that what we really need on the Explorer crossing is a really good photographer that can post the best possible photos of the new ship. And, I suspect that you both would really enjoy the multiple BBQ's and events that take place on a crossing.:)

Looking forward to more posts and pictures -- we will be doing Alaska yet again next year so it will be fun to read about your adventures.

You have been so helpful with your on board pics and reviews, hoping you can help me with a question. Kind of an odd one but last year I really got into drinking tea when went to Ireland.

What are the sugar options no's on board? Do they have the Raw or brown sugar cubes or the Sucre Candi like maps or just plain old white?

Thank you. We will be taking first cruise ever and it happens end to be in about two weeks on the navigator.

Amazing photos of the helicopter and getting the pilot on board! After today, the seas should be dramatically calmer, and there should be plenty of sun while you continue traveling north.

I just looked at your itinerary and see that you are going to Hubbard Glacier. We have seen glaciers in New Zealand, Norway and Alaska ....... Hubbard was the most amazing one we have seen. This year (hopefully) the Navigator should be able to get fairly close to the glacier because of the lack of snow this past winter. You should get amazing photos.

Enjoy your sea day!

Great pictures and information. We are scheduled in Alaska this summer.

Can you take a snapshot of the "free" wine list? Am interested.

Also, have you done Prime 7 yet?

Thanks!

Sure... It is quite a few pages... I'll try tonight.

We have Prime 7 near the end of the cruise... so, not yet

We are back among the "connected" living... Internet was down from after midnight to just now.. (1pm).

I was putting handwritten notes into empty wine bottles and throwing them overboard... :(

Sea Day today.... gray and rainy...windy but not choppy.

International Buffet for lunch... it came indoors again.

CR tonite and JAR show again.... Sitka tmrw.

We'll survive. It's just that heavy users like me get 'twitchy' when I know it's not there. :p

Just switched to unlimited plan..so I can continue posting pictures...and do a little work.

Chef Dino gave a cooking demo this a.m. and that was fun.

What are the sugar options no's on board? Do they have the Raw or brown sugar cubes or the Sucre Candi like maps or just plain old white?

Checked today...at Coffee Connections and at the 4pm Tea...

White sugar, raw sugar, Splenda and Stevia (?).. all packets, no cubes.

But I am sure you can ask if they have more exotic choices. ;)