Transatlantic From Spain to US

My husband and I are looking at a cruise on the Allure of the Seas leaving from Barcelona, Spain in October and arriving at Fort Lauderdale. Anybody have any input at to the potential roughness of the seas? I know that there is really no way of knowing for sure about storms, however is there a better time of year or is it all about the same? I have only been on one other cruise and although the water was slightly rocky I didn't have any problems.

A few years ago we did a western TA from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on Liberty and experience very little motion. We had a couple of squally days weather wise but overall it was a great crossing.

Nothing can be guaranteed, but I'd chance it again without hesitation. My only concern on Allure is the lack of port stops en-route back the US. Just too many sea days for me.

We've done the southern crossing departing Barcelona twice and both time had excellent weather and smooth seas. The heavier seas and cooler temps were from Barcelona to Madeira/Canary Islands. From there it was sunny, warm and smooth sailing. Our TA's were a bit later...early November departures.

We have done quite a few. It has not been super rough for us but you will have movement.

The weather can be cold and wet and windy, or nice and sunny depending on the time of year. We have had both.

Our Oct./14 Oasis was not very nice outside. The crossing was not a sunny and warm cruise.

There is not as much seating on the Oasis Class when the weather is not nice outside. Just so you know, it is more for the Caribbean type weather with more outdoor space for people.

Allure is coming back to FLL from Dry Dock, so it is a chance to sample that Class ship.

We did the BCN to FLL TA on Liberty a few years ago (same cruise as Peteukmcr referenced in above post) and it was excellent. Most days the weather was good, and there were plenty of indoor venues for those days that were less than stellar.

Allure is a ship that was designed for Caribbean climes. I'd advise you to read some of the reviews of the Oasis TA back from Europe last fall. That cruise followed a drydock (same as the Allure will do this fall) and there were numerous issues, including work not completed, and lack of indoor venues to accommodate passengers when the weather would not allow them to be outdoors.

Certainly the weather can never be guaranteed. Do your research then decide if this is the right cruise for you to consider.

Edited by KeywestK

Thanks to all the responses. I am really not to worried about getting sea sick but I never thought about the Allure being more designed for warm weather. The comments regarding inside seating, are you saying that it feels crowded or that if you want to enjoy the view you wont find a spot? We have already booked the Allure for the Caribbean sailing out of Fort Lauderdale 1/31/16 and have always wanted to do a TA, SOooo thought this would give us a chance to see the ship before Jan and enjoy the time at sea. I would assume layering would be appropriate for this trip.:)

I really do not consider the temperatures we experience in October to be even on the 'cool' side. While I might have a sweater in the evening, the weather is usually excellent in Spain in October. I would say you would have highs of 75 F or above and low in the upper 60s on the early part of the sailing and in the 80s for highs for the last 6 or 7 days.

A sailing from Spain will not at all be on the same route as Oasis that left from Rotterdam and Southampton. I was onboard and they took a much more northerly route than would have been necessary on Oasis.

Just check weather for Malaga, Funchal and Bermuda online and you will get an idea of weather conditions.

I really enjoy TA sailings and all the extra time to enjoy the venues onboard the ship.

Allure is a ship that was designed for Caribbean climes. I'd advise you to read some of the reviews of the Oasis TA back from Europe last fall. That cruise followed a drydock (same as the Allure will do this fall) and there were numerous issues, including work not completed, and lack of indoor venues to accommodate passengers when the weather would not allow them to be outdoors.

Allure's drydock will be in May (directly after April TA which we will be on). After drydock in May she will cruise whole Summer season on Mediterranean. By fall TA any work surely has been completed.