Southampton Hotel

We will be coming via train from London to Southampton on June 19 and are booked at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue. I've also looked at booking the Premier Inn West Quay. Price is similar for both hotels.

What are eating options by Holiday Inn? If we didn't want to eat at the hotel is there anything within walking distance?

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. :)

We will be coming via train from London to Southampton on June 19 and are booked at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue. I've also looked at booking the Premier Inn West Quay. Price is similar for both hotels.

What are eating options by Holiday Inn? If we didn't want to eat at the hotel is there anything within walking distance?

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. :)

There are lots of options close to your hotel. We had a pre-cruise dinner on our roll call at The Platform pub but we've also eaten at the Duke of Wellington pub which we preferred. We often just walk along to Oxford Street from our hotel (they're quite close to each other) and have a meal there. They tend to be national chains but quite acceptable for a pre-cruise meal.

What kind of food do you like? I'd be happy to give you directions etc

Edited by tartanexile81

Add to the Exile's list:

Kuti's Royal Thai & the Gatehouse Grill, both at Royal Pier which is a 2-minute walk along the waterfront from Holiday Inn.

Opposite the Royal Pier the historic stone Wool House (cruisers will remember it as a little maritime museum) is now an attractive new pie & mash pub with its own micro-brewery - good for a filling snack but not a full-blown restaurant.

Up Bugle Street, 100 yards behind the Wool House is the Duke of Wellington, good pub atmosphere & food.

Or 100 yards further along the waterfront in a converted warehouse is Ennios, & on Town Quay opposite Ennios, is La Margherita. Both are Italian.

The Platform Tavern is just a little further.

Head up High Street for the Coriander Lounge (well-respected but I've not eaten there), the Standing Order (Wetherspoon's chain pub, good value because it's cheap but for no other reason) & the Red Lion which is a historic pub with acceptable food.

In St Michael's St, just off High St, is George's Greek restaurant. George's is a bit of a Southampton institution, he's been there for years. Good food, good value, but bland surroundings.

Oxford St is another ten minutes, a decent selection of eateries. Walkable, though you might want a cab back.

For a balance of food, surroundings & value I'd also choose the Duke of Wellington.

And it's a pleasant five-minute walk from your hotel

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks for the quick replies. Pub food sounds good so we'll probably check out the Duke of Wellington.

Add to the Exile's list:

Kuti's Royal Thai & the Gatehouse Grill, both at Royal Pier which is a 2-minute walk along the waterfront from Holiday Inn.

Opposite the Royal Pier the historic stone Wool House (cruisers will remember it as a little maritime museum) is now an attractive new pie & mash pub with its own micro-brewery - good for a filling snack but not a full-blown restaurant.

Up Bugle Street, 100 yards behind the Wool House is the Duke of Wellington, good pub atmosphere & food.

Or 100 yards further along the waterfront in a converted warehouse is Ennios, & on Town Quay opposite Ennios, is La Margherita. Both are Italian.

The Platform Tavern is just a little further.

Head up High Street for the Coriander Lounge (well-respected but I've not eaten there), the Standing Order (Wetherspoon's chain pub, good value because it's cheap but for no other reason) & the Red Lion which is a historic pub with acceptable food.

In St Michael's St, just off High St, is George's Greek restaurant. George's is a bit of a Southampton institution, he's been there for years. Good food, good value, but bland surroundings.

Oxford St is another ten minutes, a decent selection of eateries. Walkable, though you might want a cab back.

For a balance of food, surroundings & value I'd also choose the Duke of Wellington.

And it's a pleasant five-minute walk from your hotel

There are lots of options close to your hotel. We had a pre-cruise dinner on our roll call at The Platform pub but we've also eaten at the Duke of Wellington pub which we preferred. We often just walk along to Oxford Street from our hotel (they're quite close to each other) and have a meal there. They tend to be national chains but quite acceptable for a pre-cruise meal.

What kind of food do you like? I'd be happy to give you directions etc

The Duke of Wellington might still be celebrating the 200th anniversary from when The Duke defeated Napoleon at Waterloo (Not the station - the village in Belgium) on 18th June 1815.

We are booked at the Premier Inn and reading reviews there is construction going on next to the hotel

Unfortunately I booked awhile ago with the non refundable rates so are stuck there :mad:

It seem to be OK on weekends but not for weekdays when the work is going on

Yes that's right. It's been going on opposite the front of the hotel for a couple of years now. We had a room opposite the building site and there were still lorries coming and going at midnight so I complained to the council.

Our son and his family had a room at the back of the hotel and knew nothing about it. With a bit of luck you might get a room there too.

We've booked a park and stay package at the Novotel for the night before our RCI cruise on the Explorer in July. I know the hotel is opposite a shopping complex where there are fast food eateries, but is there a decent pub within walking distance of the hotel where we can get something to eat in the evening?

Edited by Mim Lloyd

Yes that's right. It's been going on opposite the front of the hotel for a couple of years now. We had a room opposite the building site and there were still lorries coming and going at midnight so I complained to the council.

Our son and his family had a room at the back of the hotel and knew nothing about it. With a bit of luck you might get a room there too.

Fingers crossed as we are there during the week so I imagine they will be working before I get up ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We've booked a park and stay package at the Novotel for the night before our RCI cruise on the Explorer in July. I know the hotel is opposite a shopping complex where there are fast food eateries, but is there a decent pub within walking distance of the hotel where we can get something to eat in the evening?

Same suggestions, but add ten minutes to the walk.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Bugle+St&hl=en&sll=50.902169,-1.410419&sspn=0.009391,0.020578&geocode=FSLCCAMdemnq_w%3BFRCnCAMdj4vq_w&oq=Bugle+Street&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=prev&z=16

There are eateries closer, including a TGI Friday a stone's throw from the hotel, but I've not used them

We loved both the Platform and the Duke of Wellington. The Sunday dinner which we enjoyed with our roll call group was excellent--thanks TartanExile! We'll be in Southampton on a Sunday in August, and we'll definitely be having dinner there again.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion but...we stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple of years ago, and it was pretty bad. The rooms were shabby, and the staff was cold and uncaring. When dh first sat down on the bed the headboard fell off onto his recently replaced shoulder. When we contacted the front desk we were told to put it up against the dresser and someone would fix it "later". No question or concern was shown for his shoulder. The pipes "screamed" each time someone in our hall used the shower or toilet. My cousin and her dh were next door to us, and we teased him about how often he used the facilities during the night. Also, it was pouring rain when we were there, and when we asked the front desk for a map of the town, and we were told to walk up the hill a few blocks to the tourist bureau because they had no maps.

Surprisingly the restaurant was very good, and that staff was very friendly and accommodating.

We stayed at the Grand Harbour last year, and we were so happy with it that we've booked again for this year.

Edited by FritzG

Staying at the Novatel pre-cruise 8/7/15. Is the Novatel within walking distance to the Sea City Museum or is a taxi needed?

I believe that we will need a taxi to the cruise port on 8/8 ...Celebrity Eclipse.

Convenient to Sea City museum. :)

It's in the Civic Centre (white Portland stone bldg. with tall clock tower), a ten minute walk past the rail station & up a short sharp hill.

Also walkable to Eclipse' usual berth 101, City Cruise Terminal, depending on your luggage & the weather. Again, about ten mins, all on level ground.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=SeaCity+Museum,+Havelock+Road,+Southampton&daddr=novotel+near+Western+Esplanade,+Southampton+to:City+Cruise+Terminal+101,+Southampton,+Herbert+Walker+Avenue,+Southampton&hl=en&sll=50.905573,-1.414205&sspn=0.002348,0.004866&geocode=FabLCAMdc4bq_yEx0r3hMLG7WCnt3Ss1yHZ0SDEx0r3hMLG7WA%3BFQvCCAMdmGfq_yF-ZtMXV8rNgylb0_rtu3Z0SDF-ZtMXV8rNgw%3BFaGtCAMdjGzq_yGGWezbqwSALilhiRi7uHZ0SDGGWezbqwSALg&oq=Novotel+Western+Esp&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

We loved both the Platform and the Duke of Wellington. The Sunday dinner which we enjoyed with our roll call group was excellent--thanks TartanExile! We'll be in Southampton on a Sunday in August, and we'll definitely be having dinner there again.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion but...we stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple of years ago, and it was pretty bad. The rooms were shabby, and the staff was cold and uncaring. When dh first sat down on the bed the headboard fell off onto his recently replaced shoulder. When we contacted the front desk we were told to put it up against the dresser and someone would fix it "later". No question or concern was shown for his shoulder. The pipes "screamed" each time someone in our hall used the shower or toilet. My cousin and her dh were next door to us, and we teased him about how often he used the facilities during the night. Also, it was pouring rain when we were there, and when we asked the front desk for a map of the town, and we were told to walk up the hill a few blocks to the tourist bureau because they had no maps.

Surprisingly the restaurant was very good, and that staff was very friendly and accommodating.

We stayed at the Grand Harbour last year, and we were so happy with it that we've booked again for this year.

Thanks for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn. Not good and definitely not what we anticipate. Does anyone know if they've updated the hotel recently??

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Thanks for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn. Not good and definitely not what we anticipate. Does anyone know if they've updated the hotel recently??

The Grand Harbour is across the street from HI, and from what we could see and what we heard from the Grand Harbour staff there haven't been any updates.

• 1 month later...
The Grand Harbour is across the street from HI, and from what we could see and what we heard from the Grand Harbour staff there haven't been any updates.

We will arrive by train from Wales on July 21, and depart next day for NY on the QM2. Ibis & Novotel look good for 1 night. Anything better and close to the train station?

We just need a good clean room, breakfast and WiFi at a reasonable price.

Thanx!

Joe & Madeleine

"2snowbirds"

Hi all, can anyone tell me where is a decent hotel walking distance from the Ocean terminal (46 I think) for the Royal Princess? Much appreciated:)

I think you will be lucky to find anywhere within 'walking distance' of Pier 46 to join Royal Princess, particularly with luggage. We are going to stay at the Ibis and take a five minute taxi ride to the Pier.

I think you will be lucky to find anywhere within 'walking distance' of Pier 46 to join Royal Princess, particularly with luggage. We are going to stay at the Ibis and take a five minute taxi ride to the Pier.

We always take a cab no matter how close we are to the dock. It's so much easier taking a cab when dealing with luggage etc. Also, we've never had a 5 min. cab ride because the traffic on sailing days can be quite heavy. Last year we left the Grand Harbour Hotel around 10:30, and it was more like a 10 to 15 minute cab ride partially because there was a huge boat show going on, too.

Edited by FritzG

. Last year we left the Grand Harbour Hotel around 10:30, and it was more like a 10 to 15 minute cab ride partially because there was a huge boat show going on, too.

Yes, the Southampton Boat Show makes a big difference. Early August.

Any Saturday too.

Other than that it's a question of how quick the cruise line staff are at the terminals.

Edited by John Bull

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn - Herbert Walker Drive and it just fine, however having originated in Vancouver, BC even a park bench would have looked good. Seriously, it was clean, bright although maybe just a bit dated. I did ask if I could change a 10 GBP note for some 1 GBP coins at the front desk they said no ....which surprised me a bit but other than that the staff was good and helpful. We booked it with both the dinner and breakfast option and the food was good. In August this year we are staying at the Premier Inn for no good reason other than price.

I think it was John Bull who suggest the Duke of Wellington to me and in the late afternoon while Duddete had a long nap I walked over to the pub and had my first couple of pints of room temperature British ale....enjoyed it a ton and had a great conversation with a bunch of locals.

It's not cheap but 'The Pig In The Wall' is lovely it's close to the Grand Harbour, they have a complimentary shuttle to 'The Pig' restaurant in the New Forest. They do bar food but if you are starving I wouldn't recommend it! If you have a car with you 'The Mandarin Chef' at Romsey is a favourite of ours.