Travelling to Bermuda- First Time Help Please

Relax Cruiser

Hi all,

New to this forum and joined today because will be travelling to Bermuda end of May! Will be docking at the Dockyard at approximately 11:30am and will be leaving the day after at 5:30pm (so having effectively 2 days in Bermuda).

I am looking for itineraries on what to do while we are there.

We are a young couple (no kids) early 30's and like to do lot of activities. Want to plan for snorkeling, Dolphin Quest, Crystal Caves, Horseshoe Bay and a city tour.

Is this possible in the 2 days we have?

Can someone be kind enough (first time, so a bit daunting) to share an itinerary for our above plans if possible?

Is it wise to book excursions from cruise or independent dealers? If independent, who would you suggest?

Also, whats the currency in Bermuda? Would they accept US Dollars? Or do we need to convert and take some local cash?

Many thanks in advance for any replies that I might get!!:)

We have done this trip several times. Let's see what I can tell you.

We always get the transportation pass and do the island on our own. Very easy to get around and the Bermudians are very helpful. The passes come in one, two, and three day. Plan your days and then you will know what size pass to buy. They also sell tokens that are good for both the bus and ferry, just like the passes are.

We got into Bermuda at 11:30 on a Sunday the last time and went to Somerset Bridge and rented a Boston Whaler boat from Somerset Bridge Watersports. They also rent jet skies. We explored the different areas by water that day, stopping at a couple of beaches, checking out a sunken ship and just motoring around the area.

Day two, we took the ferry to St. George. Tobacco Bay is an easy walk from the town and really good for snorkeling, so I have been told. There are many historic sites in St. George like the unfinished church, Fort St. Catherine, St. Peter's Church, dunking of the town wench at noon in the Town Center and nice shops and restaurants for snacks, drinks, and meals. The Caves are near and you could visit them them either before or after you go to St. George. You would have to take a bus to get to them.

Day three, you could do Horseshoe Bay in the morning and then head back to the Dockyard. Dolphin Quest is in the Museum that is at the Dockyard. I would book it ahead if you wanted to do it that afternoon. There is a great 18 hole miniature golf course there also. We played it last year and had a lot of fun.

As I have said, we consider Bermuda a DIY island. You can go on jet skies from the Dockyard pier. They take you out in groups and let you drive your own. There are also glass bottom boats tours available. There is a small Kiosk on the pier that offers different kinds of things to do. You can take Segway tours from the Dockyard too.

Bermuda takes American money. Try not to use big bills because you will sometimes get Bermuda money back in change and you can not exchange it here in the US. Banks won't take it. So use bills close to the total cost so you don't end up with a bunch of Bermuda Money. It is an equal change rate, dollar for dollar.

Hi all,

New to this forum and joined today because will be travelling to Bermuda end of May! Will be docking at the Dockyard at approximately 11:30am and will be leaving the day after at 5:30pm (so having effectively 2 days in Bermuda).

We are a young couple (no kids) early 30's and like to do lot of activities. Want to plan for snorkeling, Dolphin Quest, Crystal Caves, Horseshoe Bay and a city tour.

Can someone be kind enough (first time, so a bit daunting) to share an itinerary for our above plans if possible?

Is it wise to book excursions from cruise or independent dealers? If independent, who would you suggest?

Also, whats the currency in Bermuda? Would they accept US Dollars? Or do we need to convert and take some local cash?

It would be helpful to know what days of the week you'll be in Bermuda. If you're arriving on a Sunday your options may be somewhat limited that day because of the reduced public transportation schedule. I'm also confused because you say you're leaving the next day, but I don't see any ships on the port schedule for late May that would arrive one day at about 11:30 and leave the day after at 5:30. By any chance are you on the Norwegian Dawn, which arrives on Sundays at 11 am and leaves on Tuesdays at 5:30 pm?

Of course, if you get Bermudan coins back in change, you can either:

-- Use them as an excuse (like you'll really need one ;)) to plan a return trip, so you can spend them, or

-- Keep/give them as souvenirs. After all, the only place you can really get them is Bermuda! :D

Hi all,

This may be an ambitious schedule... When you say city tour do you mean Hamilton? St George? A little more detail and your ship or arrival/departure days could help give you some more concrete answers...

It would be helpful to know what days of the week you'll be in Bermuda. If you're arriving on a Sunday your options may be somewhat limited that day because of the reduced public transportation schedule. I'm also confused because you say you're leaving the next day, but I don't see any ships on the port schedule for late May that would arrive one day at about 11:30 and leave the day after at 5:30. By any chance are you on the Norwegian Dawn, which arrives on Sundays at 11 am and leaves on Tuesdays at 5:30 pm?

Yes, this is the cruise we will be on. Its a Friday-Friday cruise. I seriously don't know from where to start planning, as this is our first time on a cruise. As far as city tour goes just looking to drive by and seeing the main important points. We both like History, so if a little History's there would be nice.

Like I said, any itinerary which has snorkeling, Dolphin Quest, Caves and Horsehoe Bay would be great.

Yes I know this might be overly ambitious for some, but we like hectic trips and not looking to relax. We will be doing that on the cruise.

So any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

We have done this trip several times. Let's see what I can tell you.

We always get the transportation pass and do the island on our own. Very easy to get around and the Bermudians are very helpful. The passes come in one, two, and three day. Plan your days and then you will know what size pass to buy. They also sell tokens that are good for both the bus and ferry, just like the passes are.

We got into Bermuda at 11:30 on a Sunday the last time and went to Somerset Bridge and rented a Boston Whaler boat from Somerset Bridge Watersports. They also rent jet skies. We explored the different areas by water that day, stopping at a couple of beaches, checking out a sunken ship and just motoring around the area.

Day two, we took the ferry to St. George. Tobacco Bay is an easy walk from the town and really good for snorkeling, so I have been told. There are many historic sites in St. George like the unfinished church, Fort St. Catherine, St. Peter's Church, dunking of the town wench at noon in the Town Center and nice shops and restaurants for snacks, drinks, and meals. The Caves are near and you could visit them them either before or after you go to St. George. You would have to take a bus to get to them.

Day three, you could do Horseshoe Bay in the morning and then head back to the Dockyard. Dolphin Quest is in the Museum that is at the Dockyard. I would book it ahead if you wanted to do it that afternoon. There is a great 18 hole miniature golf course there also. We played it last year and had a lot of fun.

As I have said, we consider Bermuda a DIY island. You can go on jet skies from the Dockyard pier. They take you out in groups and let you drive your own. There are also glass bottom boats tours available. There is a small Kiosk on the pier that offers different kinds of things to do. You can take Segway tours from the Dockyard too.

Bermuda takes American money. Try not to use big bills because you will sometimes get Bermuda money back in change and you can not exchange it here in the US. Banks won't take it. So use bills close to the total cost so you don't end up with a bunch of Bermuda Money. It is an equal change rate, dollar for dollar.

Thank you for your reply- that is very much helpful.

Please keep other replies coming, thank you all.

If you're serious about Dolphin Quest look into now. Don't wait until you get there it will be all booked up.

We waited and booked it there. There were only 3 of us in our group. It was a lot of fun. Pricey but a once in a lifetime experience.

Laura

I have created an outline itinerary, please let me know if this is doable-

Day 1: Disembark from ship around 1pm, go to Dolphin Quest at 1:30pm (I think until 3pm), then from there go to Crystal Caves (?)- Can someone tell me how far is it from Dolphin Quest to Crystal Caves (bearing in mind last tour is at 4:30pm).

After Caves, not sure what else we can do that day as it's a Sunday? Any suggestions most welcome.

Day 2: Visiting the various beaches in the morning and Snorkel in the afternoon, 1:00pm until 3:30pm. After that stuck on what to do?

Day 3: City Tour of St. George and Hamiltons. We can either take a city tour offered by our Cruise, or take a Taxi Tour (who would you recommend?), or go by ourselves by taking a bus (bearing in mind our cruise leaves at 5:30pm).

Please let me know what you'll think and any other suggestions/advice please, or if we should shuffle somethings around!

Thanks!:)

Edited by firsttime_cruiser2015

I have created an outline itinerary, please let me know if this is doable-

Day 1: Disembark from ship around 1pm, go to Dolphin Quest at 1:30pm (I think until 3pm), then from there go to Crystal Caves (?)- Can someone tell me how far is it from Dolphin Quest to Crystal Caves (bearing in mind last tour is at 4:30pm).

After Caves, not sure what else we can do that day as it's a Sunday? Any suggestions most welcome.

Day 2: Visiting the various beaches in the morning and Snorkel in the afternoon, 1:00pm until 3:30pm. After that stuck on what to do?

Day 3: City Tour of St. George and Hamiltons. We can either take a city tour offered by our Cruise, or take a Taxi Tour (who would you recommend?), or go by ourselves by taking a bus (bearing in mind our cruise leaves at 5:30pm).

Please let me know what you'll think and any other suggestions/advice please, or if we should shuffle somethings around!

Thanks!:)

You won't be able to go to the caves on Sunday afternoon after Dolphin Quest . You don't have enough time particularly given the Sunday transportation schedule.

I've commented on the day 3 tour on your other thread.

You could go to the caves on Monday morning, and then make the afternoon your beach/snorkeling time.

Edited by njhorseman

Is there anything open on Sunday after 5pm? We are not much into nightlife, but was wondering if it was possible to visit Horseshoe Bay on Sunday (from Dockyard)? If yes, how do we get there? What bus do we take? Or are buses limited on Sundays?

Transportation is limited on Sundays . You can go to Horseshoe Bay on Sunday if you make the trip early...soon after your ship docks. You won't be able to do it if you're going to Dolphin Quest first and not planning to leave for the beach until after 3 pm. You can get to Horseshoe Bay via the #7 bus. The problem isn't with the bus to the beach, it's the return to Dockyard on Sunday The last #7 back to Dockyard leaves Hamilton at 4:30 pm, so it will be at Horseshoe Bay before 5...not leaving you much time to spend at the beach if you didn't arrive there until about 4 pm.

Last summer there was also a shuttle from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay for $16 per person round trip. The last shuttle to the beach left Dockyard at 3, and the last return from Horseshoe to Dockyard was at 6. I don't know if the price and schedule will be the same this year.

http://www.thewestend.bm/horseshoe-bay-beach-shuttle/

I'm stuck on what to do for these timings-

• Sunday evening from 5pm (Booked Snorkeling excursion from 2-5pm)- Totally free

• Monday morning free till 1:00pm (1:30pm-2:00pm is Dolphin Quest), after 2pm free

• Tuesday from 9:30am we have a 5hour taxi tour booked to see the Island (Ship leaves at 5:30pm)

Please help me plan on when I can/should see the following;

• Horseshoe Bay

• Crystal Caves

Sunday evening, after 5, you are pretty much going to stay at the Dockyard unless you take a taxi somewhere. The Buses are pretty slim on Sunday evening and all the stores for shopping are closed. You could eat supper and then go over to Snorkel Park and play the 18 hole miniature golf course. It is pricey, $18 a person but a lot of fun. They also have things happening in Snorkel Park after supper. There will be entertainment on the ship as well.

If you head out first thing Monday morning, you could get to the Caves and back in time for your Dolphin Quest. After that is done, you could head to Horseshoe Beach, since it is Monday and the buses run later on week days. It would be a very full day but it is possible.

On Tuesday, since you won't get back to the ship until 2:30 PM, I would suggest hanging around the Dockyard and doing some shopping or just looking around. Since you sail at 5:30, all aboard will most likely be at 5 PM so you would only have about 2 1/2 hours. That is not enough time to go too far. You could also go swimming at Snorkel Park during that time period.

Hi all,

I recommend Frommer's Bermuda guidebook. You will find suggested itineraries, including 1, 2, and 3 day sightseeing plans. Chapter 1 of the 2012 guidebook was The Best of Bermuda.

I would also suggest making a list of options for each day, then on that day, decide what you want to do based on weather, energy level, special events, traffic, etc.

You want to enjoy the trip, not make a job out of planning for it or trying to squeeze too many things in. If it were any other port, you would have less than a day to explore. There will always be more to see and do than you will have time for.

If you end up having to choose between Horseshoe Bay or Crystal Caves, I would pick Horseshoe Bay or even Warwick Long Bay and Jobson's Cove. Those beaches are closer than the caves, saving time on traveling. IMHO the beaches are more beautiful than the caves. If you are able to get it all in, great. If not, you could always go back and see what you missed.