Westerdam vs. Amsterdam

herb

Hi all...

thinking of an Alaska cruise and due to itinerary our choices are narrowed down to Westerdam and Amsterdam. The only HAL ship we've sailed on is the Oosterdam so we know what to expect on the Westerdam. Would we be disappointed in the Amsterdam. The size of the ship itself is not that important to us, just wondering if one is better maintained than the other or if the interior is just visually more appealing than the other

thanks for your input..

The one thing I like about the Amsterdam over the Westerdam is that the Explorations Cafe is not in the Crow's Nest but down on the Upper Promenade deck.

The Westerdam has the Chocolate Seduction which no other ship has. But the hours are lousy and you really need to know where it is because it's so tiny you'll blink and miss it.

As far as maintenance goes, the Amsterdam is going into drydock soon. She is one of the flagships of the fleet so she is very well maintained. The Westerdam is well maintained, too.

I would sail on either ship but would give preference to the Amsterdam simply because of the Explorations Cafe location.

Having sailed on both classes, we'd be inclined to go for the Amsterdam. Your preferences might change that though. Is there something you liked about the larger Vista Class ship?

Also, compare the itineraries.

Edited by POA1

As it is a significantly smaller ship (1200+ vs. 2,000 passengers), the Amsterdam will have a much more intimate feel to it. We have sailed on both and prefer the Amsterdam. Both are good ships, it just depends on what you are looking for. The Westerdam will have a few more things to do, the Amsterdam will be a little more laid-back. Either way have a good time!

I too prefer the Amsterdam because of its size - smaller. It is well maintained as are all HAL ships IMO. I too dislike where the Explorations Café is on the Vista ships. But I do like the stand alone shower on the Vista ships - very few on the Amsterdam. Having said all that, I am looking at the Westerdam this summer because it goes to Glacier Bay while the Amsterdam goes to Tracy Arm. They are both great ships.

The itinerary difference is one does Glacier Bay ... the other Tracy Arm.... the other ports of call are the same...

Check the port times. If you are in port longer with one ship, go with that one.

Have you been to Alaska before? If not, I'd suggest going to Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm. Both are beautiful, but different from each other. If glaciers are important to you, you are more likely to see them in GB than TA. It will also depend on the time of year you plan on going.

Whichever you do choose to do, you'll have a fabulous time. And when Alaska calls you back, you can always do the other site that you didn't do the first time.

We have sailed both ships in Alaska.

For us -- Glacier Bay wins over Tracy Arm. Several times we couldn't get close to Tracy Arm because of the ice flow.

As for the Chocolate Seduction on the Westerdam -- it is a joke. High prices for a tiny bit of chocolate, only a few choices of non-alcoholic drinks and 3 choices of chocolate alcoholic drinks. We rarely saw anyone in there.

You can use this site to see where the ships dock in the various ports:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318

It depends somewhat when you are going. I went on both the Westerdam (May) and the Amsterdam (September) to Alaska last year. I had been on both ships before.

It seemed that the Westie was much more crowded - in fact the Lido (buffet) was so jammed for lunch on two days that we first went to the MDR - about a 1/2 hour wait - then finally just ordered room service. Never had that happen before. Perhaps there was a large group or several.

The Amsterdam was much more peaceful and civilized. And we loved Tracy Arm. Saw many more whales, orcas and other wild life on that trip than we did on the Westie.

That being said, we're going on the NCL Jewel to Alaska this May. Longer port times, better promotions and lower prices.

The following merits of the Vista-class ships over the older ships are worth mentioning:

The Queen's lounge. So much nicer than cramming a band into the Crow's Nest.

The exterior glass elevators and the continuous Lower Promenade deck.

No staterooms underneath the exterior promenade, no promenade pedestrians passing by stateroom windows, and I like the way that the deck called the Promenade Deck is actually the deck with the promenade!

And finally, affordable Verandah/Vista staterooms.

igraf

...Is there something you liked about the larger Vista Class ship?....
Edited by igraf