Airport Layover Time Too Short?

catbird46

Agree that less than 2 hrs in Frankfurt is really a bad thing.... Two hours as long as everything goes well. Flights from the U.S. Don't arrive at a gate (normally) but debark passengers on a remote runaway parking and bus you to the terminal. This among many other things makes an hour a no go. Sorry

Yiks!!!! I see you are sailing June 15 from Barcelona. Thank god you see this problem now and not the day of flying.

An hour in Frankfurt is rarely if ever going to work even if it's a legal connection I would not ask my worst enemy to attempt that connect. Never mind your bags will likely not make it either :(

Hoping you are also flying in at least one day early so you won't miss the ship. Be sure and pack your carry on with a couple outfits each. I pack mine as if I will never see my bag again, that way I know it will show up!

Get on the phone to your TA first thing, but do some research yourself before calling and see what is available that works better.

I have an email in to our TA. At least we are on Lufthansa both legs, so maybe we can do it. Since the ship doesn't leave until Monday and we arrive on Sunday, praying it will all work out!

I have an email in to our TA. At least we are on Lufthansa both legs, so maybe we can do it. Since the ship doesn't leave until Monday and we arrive on Sunday, praying it will all work out!

An hour won't work because of the inbound flight arrives at distant parking on runway and they bus the passengers to terminal. International arrivals are a very longway to domestic departures plus you have to go thru passport control and security....

An hour will not work and that's assuming your flight even arrives on time. Do Not let anyone try to say it's a legal connection. Does not matter!

Edited by JVilleGal

We are both very mobile and can move quickly. Will we need to go thru passport controls again in Frankfurt since we are arriving from Zurich?

Luggage should be checked in Zurich all the way thru to Houston. Swiss Air and Lufthansa Star Alliance with United which is where our original booking is.

Then you should be ok. If I read your itinerary home correctly no you should not have to go through passport control till Houston. Just make sure you don't inadvertantly leave the terminal. Good signage in FRA..you should be fine.

I just checked our booking and we only have 1 hour in Frankfurt as booked by our travel agent. A little stressed right now!

We had a Flight change thru United Airlines for our upcoming flight in December. Now lucky for us we are off the 2 stop connections to get to Budapest (IAH>Montreal>Frankfurt>Budapest). We will go IAH>Munich>Budapest. We have never had issues transferring to Lufthansa in Munich Airport. Far better then Frankfurt!

However we are returning from Zurich on Swiss Air>Frankfurt (plane change to Lufthansa) to IAH with only 75 mins in Frankfurt.

Is this doable? Our flight departs Zurich @7A to Frankfurt ( short flight ).

In case no one noticed we have two current posters with concerns about connecting in Frankfurt.

One post Ancientciv, who is coming from the U.S. On Lufthansa with an hour to connect to another LH flight to Barcelona. This is the connection that I think is a huge issue.

Second poster is coming from Zurich with a 75 min connection... Which seems doable.

Just in case anyone is confused ;)

Edited by JVilleGal

One post Ancientciv, who is coming from the U.S. On Lufthansa with an hour to connect to another LH flight to Barcelona. This is the connection that I think is a huge issue.

I certainly wouldn't plan to fly with a 1 hour connection there even though it is legal.

I would worry less about the bags making it though as that side of things moves a lot faster than the passengers most of the time.

For the OP, obviously try to get that changed, but if for some reason it cannot be altered then do check the alternatives for getting from Frankfurt so you know what to ask for if there is a problem.

Having both flights with Lufthansa is a good thing as they will have full responsibility for getting you to the destination on time, but it helps greatly if you know what to ask for and if there are no suitable LH flights then make sure you know which other airlines have suitable flights so you can ask to be transferred to them.

Also try to get seats as far forward as you can to avoid as much of the disembarkation hold up as possible.

If despite all attempts to alter this you find you cannot, do not regard this as a guaranteed failure, it is a legal connection so the majority of the time it is possible to do it. The real risk is that you have no tolerance for flight delays, slow transfer from your plane etc.

Perhaps the person with the 1-hour connection at Frankfurt, if they're older, could claim to have trouble walking, and get fast transport between gates? Just a thought--we often think about doing this, since we are somewhat walking-challenged, but usually manage just fine. But if we were in a real rush, I would have no problem requesting this service. Of course, not sure how efficient these services are, and how long you'd have to wait around for your "chariot".

Perhaps the person with the 1-hour connection at Frankfurt, if they're older, could claim to have trouble walking, and get fast transport between gates? Just a thought--we often think about doing this, since we are somewhat walking-challenged, but usually manage just fine. But if we were in a real rush, I would have no problem requesting this service. Of course, not sure how efficient these services are, and how long you'd have to wait around for your "chariot".

I can speak from personal experience on this Wendy! I have definite distance walking and stair issues so I always use a wheelchair when I fly. First: request w/c when you book and remind them when you check in. If stairs are an issue you must tell them you cannot do stairs....the one time I failed to do that they sent the golf cart.....only problem is there was 1 cart for about 10 people and even though I was B.C., I missed first cart and waited almost 40 min. For a second one! If you wait till you check in for your first flight you run the risk of your request not being picked up at your change airport and in FRA that could be fatal!! I always fly LH to Europe and with that one exception service has been perfect. Attendants with a list of people requesting W/C are waiting either at the plane exit (for me) or at the jetway exit. That's to keep people from "snatching my ride"....it happens...

I was in Frankfurt Airport this month. One thing is many sure you know where you are coming into and where you are going. There is tunnel from B to A so that you only go throught Schengen passport control. Make sure to get in the correct line and watch for new lines opening.

This might help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/982019-beginners-guide-connecting-fra-fra-connection-thread.html

In case no one noticed we have two current posters with concerns about connecting in Frankfurt.

Second poster is coming from Zurich with a 75 min connection... Which seems doable.

Just in case anyone is confused ;)

We are actually going from Frankfurt to Venice, still on Lufthansa. My TA assures me that all will be fine, Lufthansa booked it so it has to work. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

We are actually going from Frankfurt to Venice, still on Lufthansa. My TA assures me that all will be fine, Lufthansa booked it so it has to work. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh no!!! Don't let them do this to you.... Insist LH has many flights and you are being set up for disaster. Your TA has done a disservice and won't be able to he one missing the flight or having bags go astray!

Let's take a calm look at the position you are in rather than assuming that nothing but doom gloom and disaster awaits you :)

You are booked on a legal connection on a day when LH has about 5 direct flights to Venice and several indirect flights there as well, so while I'd still avoid a connection time close to MCT where possible, LH has many options to get you to your destination on Sunday even if you miss the one you plan to be on. You may also be dealing with a situation where the fare for the other flights is significantly different to the one you are on.

Could you post the actual date and flight numbers involved so I can take a look at the rough loading and timing of the alternative flights?

Also ask your TA what the cost of being booked on one of the flights with a longer connect time would be, as while the TA is right in saying that LH will deal with this whatever happens, you'd obviously be more relaxed if there was no problem to deal with :)

Let's take a calm look at the position you are in rather than assuming that nothing but doom gloom and disaster awaits you :)

You are booked on a legal connection on a day when LH has about 5 direct flights to Venice and several indirect flights there as well, so while I'd still avoid a connection time close to MCT where possible, LH has many options to get you to your destination on Sunday even if you miss the one you plan to be on. You may also be dealing with a situation where the fare for the other flights is significantly different to the one you are on.

Could you post the actual date and flight numbers involved so I can take a look at the rough loading and timing of the alternative flights?

Also ask your TA what the cost of being booked on one of the flights with a longer connect time would be, as while the TA is right in saying that LH will deal with this whatever happens, you'd obviously be more relaxed if there was no problem to deal with :)

Ahhh the voice of reason and calm! :)

Regardless in Frankfurt I might be willing to accept a 90 minute connection and that's a very big might. Would need my running shoes and no potty stop to get from International arrivals, thru Immigration and security and onto to the Domestic Terminal where my flight may well be boarding already.

And yes being that Lufthansa is flying both legs will certainly work in your favor, getting you to your destination WILL work out as they will rebook you, my biggest concern is these events cause more issues with your bags than people!

You may get lucky, I wouldn't do it! But that's me and while I am very able-bodied sprinting and stress after a very long International flight is not my idea of a good time.

Edited by JVilleGal

LH 431 and 324 June 14/15

Yiks!!!! I see you are sailing June 15 from Barcelona. Thank god you see this problem now and not the day of flying.

An hour in Frankfurt is rarely if ever going to work even if it's a legal connection I would not ask my worst enemy to attempt that connect. Never mind your bags will likely not make it either :(

Hoping you are also flying in at least one day early so you won't miss the ship. Be sure and pack your carry on with a couple outfits each. I pack mine as if I will never see my bag again, that way I know it will show up!

Get on the phone to your TA first thing, but do some research yourself before calling and see what is available that works better.

We are actually starting our cruise in Venice, with a connection in Frankfurt.

I just checked our booking and we only have 1 hour in Frankfurt as booked by our travel agent. A little stressed right now!

It hinges on how fast you can move....seriously, it's going to be tight, but the good news in you're on LH all the way and they will take very good care of you! It's a long walk from where you arrive to where you catch your European flight, you will not have time to dawdle and you will have to go through security again, though it will not be as thorough. Very good signage in FRA, and all are in English, so follow the signs for connecting flights. If you need to use the restrooms, try to wait until you're at your gate. Your connecting flight will involve a bus ride from the terminal to the plane, which will take about 10 minutes and there will be plenty of buses so don't worry about being last in the line. Your bags will probably make the transfer faster than you do. But the good news is, as Mark said, there are several flights to Venice after the one you're booked on, so you should be ok anyway. Good luck, keep your wits about you, read the signs and don't panic!! :)

Edited by Hydrokitty

LH 431 and 324 June 14/15

Did you mean 13th / 14th?

Sunday is the 14th and your ship departs Monday 15th I think?

If you do mean 14/15 then what time does your ship leave as things may get a little tight.

Did you mean 13th / 14th?

Sunday is the 14th and your ship departs Monday 15th I think?

If you do mean 14/15 then what time does your ship leave as things may get a little tight.

You're making this very interesting!! I think she said she was sailing the 15th from Venice. Usually river ships sail late afternoon, no? I think I would contact my travel agent and demand to be placed on one of the later flights. And I would make sure my cruise company knew my flight arrangements and get their advice.

I believe the poster said they had an extra day to spare so they weren't to worried :) but I would hate to miss a day in Venice!

I'd not want to miss a day either, even though I worked in Venice for nearly two years.

This is the bit that has me confused:

Since the ship doesn't leave until Monday and we arrive on Sunday, praying it will all work out!

Monday is the 15th so I'm hoping the flight from Chicago is on the Saturday 13th, then the connection to Venice on Sunday morning 14th.

I'd not want to miss a day either, even though I worked in Venice for nearly two years.

This is the bit that has me confused:

Monday is the 15th so I'm hoping the flight from Chicago is on the Saturday 13th, then the connection to Venice on Sunday morning 14th.

That's what I thought, Mark. She leaves Chicago on Saturday night, arrives Frankfort Sunday morning and sails from Venice on Monday.....but it is a little confusing. I agree, I wouldn't want to miss a day in Venice either, although in summer it can be a bit ripe!

...although in summer it can be a bit ripe!

That is a dramatic understatement.

I worked through August there one year and I swear you could smell the lagoon from inside the plane at about 1000' up on the landing approach :)

to the OP: Post your flights, with dates, at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/982019-beginners-guide-connecting-fra-fra-connection-thread-208.html

and the experts who fly LH regularly and connect at FRA will provide very detailed help for you.

Happy trails to you!