Feeling overwhelmed...

...with everything there is to do on the cruise. Our upcoming cruise will be my 3rd one. My last cruise was over 5 years ago. I was a lot younger and in "party" mode and did a lot of drinking.

Now that I am older, drinking/partying is not all that's on my mind. I'm having a hard figuring out how I can sleep in, find time for a work out, eat, our excursions, relax by the pool, do on-board activities, AND go to shows, bars etc.

I'm sure it will all work out, but being the type of person I am, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by it all.

...with everything there is to do on the cruise. Our upcoming cruise will be my 3rd one. My last cruise was over 5 years ago. I was a lot younger and in "party" mode and did a lot of drinking.

Now that I am older, drinking/partying is not all that's on my mind. I'm having a hard figuring out how I can sleep in, find time for a work out, eat, our excursions, relax by the pool, do on-board activities, AND go to shows, bars etc.

I'm sure it will all work out, but being the type of person I am, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by it all.

I've spent plenty of time relaxing on both my previous cruises. Just remember it's your vacation and you don't "have" to do anything but go with the flow.

I am not a big drinker either and think I managed 1 drink per cruise, so no need to party in that way either.

I found that I didn't sleep in, but would sometimes grab a mid-afternoon siesta, and the ship is pretty peaceful in the morning--not too many folks in the gym or on deck. Maybe the siesta plan will work for you too.

I, too, have felt overwhelmed recently. We're heading off on a 9 week trip to UK, Europe and Hong Kong (including a 12 night Baltic Sea cruise on Brilliance OTS :) ) in a couple of months. Talk about overwhelming! :eek: As we're flying from Australia (24hrs 40min from Sydney to London :() and are on a budget, I want to make sure we get the best value we can on this vacation.

A few weeks ago I was feeling very overwhelmed by it all but then I remembered an old joke:

Q: How do you eat an elephant?

A: One mouthful at a time.

(OK, I never said it was a good joke.:p)

By breaking my planning up into smaller "mouthfuls" I'm finding the planning much easier. I've now booked flights, EuroStar, Paris DisneyLand, some accommodation, Edinburgh Tattoo tickets and a few other things. I still have lots more to do but I just remember to take "one mouthful at a time."

As far as your cruise is concerned, I'd research the ports and plan what you're going to do there. As far as your time onboard the ship is concerned just go with the flow.

As you're a planner, take a highlighter with you so that you can mark your Cruise Compass (daily newsletter) with what you want to do. I usually pick up an extra copy each morning from the Guest Relations desk. The Compass is perforated so you can just carry the back page which has the list of that day's events.

In the midst of all your planned events, don't forget to take some time to relax. After all, you are on vacation. :)

Overwhelmed about a relaxing vacation??? Really? You do NOT need to do everything! Do what you want...then take time off! It's a vacation! All of the stuff you mentioned requires NO planning....get up late....go work out, then head to the pool! The activities....do what you want, when you can fit it in...they are not "must dos'!

Excursions...research your ports, decide WHAT you want to do...then decide HOW to do it...that will not take away any of your onboard time!

Relax...you are obviously a bit to involved in "planning'...so stop! Take a breath...and let stuff happen! Things tend to go according to the flow...life has it's way...you really don't have to try and "control" it!

Edited by cb at sea

Here is a suggestion that works for us. In the evening, go thru the compass and highlight whatever activities for the next day that you are interested in. Then you can help plan your day, and decide what you most want to do, or in some cases, don't want to do. :D

Overwhelmed about a relaxing vacation??? Really? You do NOT need to do everything! Do what you want...then take time off! It's a vacation! All of the stuff you mentioned requires NO planning....get up late....go work out, then head to the pool! The activities....do what you want, when you can fit it in...they are not "must dos'!

Excursions...research your ports, decide WHAT you want to do...then decide HOW to do it...that will not take away any of your onboard time!

Relax...you are obviously a bit to involved in "planning'...so stop! Take a breath...and let stuff happen! Things tend to go according to the flow...life has it's way...you really don't have to try and "control" it!

Agree. Trying to fit everything in will leave you needing a vacation. We tried doing too much when we 1st started cruising.

One of the great things about a cruise is you can do as much or as little as you want, nothing wrong with staying on the ship when its in port or sleeping late, I love a afternoon nap , you can never do everything just pick want you want that day, we mainly want to relax on a cruise.

No need to do everything. We made that mistake our first cruise as well. Then it hit us! Whatever we don't get to this time, we'll do next time!

Now, we just relax. We don't over-program our activities. We don't try to do an excursion at every port. We don't need to do all the trivia contests, or see every show. It's nice to know that we can take the same cruise again and make a different experience each time.

I was a planner and had to do everything too. I would come home from my cruises needing a vacation. The Allure cured me of that, there was no way I could fit it all in. It was very relaxing, and unhurried. Now I use it as an excuse to cruise more often.

I might suggest to see if you can find a compass for your sailing! Bring a highligher or me I program my phone with really must make stuff. Like everyone said go with the flow. I don't know which ship you are on, but If it is a mega ship a good deal of walking will happen not to mention your excursions.

Above all enjoy you are on vacation.

If you haven't yet, you may want to connect with your roll call (below) to connect with your fellow cruisers for that week!;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036269

Looks like you have several pages to catch up on!:rolleyes:

Dear thehams.....

Even after over 75 cruises, on cruises that I take with others who have not been on many cruises and I am the "planner" for all of us, I am just like you. Unless someone is as OCD as we are, it is impossible for them to understand. I am taking my 16-year-old granddaughter and her same age girlfriend on the Oasis the end of May, and every day I obsess over "what else can I do in advance?" Just this morning I was trying to decide about making advance specialty restaurant reservations. I have our gratuities paid, our beverage packages bought, FlowRider lessons booked, shore excursions booked, show reservations made for four of the nights, and now all we need are dinner reservations in some of the specialty restaurants.

I know CB at Sea and the others are right..... I should relax and not be doing all of this. After all, they are teenagers!! So far they have wanted to do everything I have planned -- lessons, shore excursions, shows.... but I know I'm going overboard (no pun intended) about dinner plans. I'm fine letting them do their own thing. In fact, I WANT them to. But, just in case they want to go to the Hibachi dinner or to Chops with Grandma, I need to have something planned. Just can't help it.

Yes, planning a cruise can be overwhelming.