What book are you taking?

300dtc

Thanks! I have an (over:o)abundance of travel guides, to include Steves, but I'm trying to come up with fiction set in or about Norway. I read a few St. Petersburg novels before our Baltic cruise and it made the trip even better!

He has gotten a lot of buzz for his Inspector Harry Hole series.

I'm bringing Alexandra Petri's "A Field Guide to Awkward Silences" and several other books. I will read them and leave some in the ship's library. Can't do that with an e-book!

I will also check out Little Free Libraries in the places I travel. littlefreelibrary.org

Edited by Bookish Angel

I loved Devil in the White City! I always bring my Kindle (with too many books on it) on cruises. I'm definitely going to download Dead Wake for my cruise in May. Thanks for a great thread and a great suggestion! ;)

I just downloaded and started reading Dead Wake...Larson does a great job of recreating historical events. For those that don't know Dead Wake is about the sinking of the Lusitania...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am putting a lot of them in an Amazon wish list...

and since we are sailing the inside passage next month I just received my copy of Journeys Through the Inside Passage by Joe Upton, it was recommended on the Alaska site.

I usually search online before leaving on our cruise and download cruise related books to my kindle.

Remember reading some about people who worked on cruiselines, etc.

Easy, fun reading

?.. It took several years but now even the upper age demographics are reading e-books on handheld devices.

I'm 70 years old and I'm on my 3rd iteration of iPads, and before those, over the years, had multiple Sony readers.

Edited by Treven

I'm 70 years old and I'm on my 3rd iteration of iPads, and before those, over the years, had multiple Sony readers.

I have books on my iPad but I much prefer real books.

I only buy electronic books when economics demand.

I bring books on my Kindle and always buy myself a couple I've been wanting to read before I go; normally I get free or Kindle Unlimited books because I'm cheap!

I also bring one longer paperback along as a 'just in case' backup if something goes wrong with the Kindle--for use on flights and in airports. I panic if I don't have reading material on hand!

I do visit the ship libraries but often have trouble finding anything I like.

I only buy electronic books when economics demand.

I'm a big re-reader...some books i have reread every year for 30 years.

Being able to take my entire library with me is a huge luxury for me...

I have several book reading apps on my iPad but use it just for publishers who only offer e-book review copies.

I like the tactile sensation of a paper book and enjoy the ability to read it and pass it on to someone else.

I am presently reading "The Right Thing" by Amy Conner. Sort of Fannie Flagg-ish and a good Southern Fiction read.

My Kindle usually has 100+ books in my To Be Read collection, plus another 150 old favourites which I am always happy to reread. Therefore I always have plenty of variety to choose from while cruising.

I love having paper books around me but my eyes prefer reading on my Kindle. ;)

I'm a big re-reader...some books i have reread every year for 30 years.

Being able to take my entire library with me is a huge luxury for me...

I've re-read my James Mitchner and Isaac Asimov books multiple times as well.

Edited by Treven

That one looks good, i love books about the Artic..try In the Kingdom of Ice by Sides, I just finished that one recently.

Also, another good book about ships is In the Heart of the Sea by Philbrick.

Happy Reading!

Caine Mutiny ... like most movie adaptations, they left A LOT out

I've a Kindle but hate to buy a book I already own in paper because I want to re-read on a trip. . . but I LIKE rereading books .... I read too fast. An average novel lasts me a day. Darn the speed reading class I took in school to help my studies.

Doing a transatlantic this summer and stressing over this issue . . . .

I read a book in a day and hand it to the wife who works on it for two months .... at the end I remember more details then she . . .

Jaws .... hmmm think I WILL download that one .... and other Benchley .... thanks!

Edited by Capt_BJ