Bed by balcony...tell me why it matters!

moesyk4

lol I'm sure there is a legit reason this is such a popular discussion on here but I can't for the life of me figure it out! And now I want to know if mine is lol....how can you tell? I'm on the Getaway in a spa mini suite and from what I can tell in the only cabin for 4 people, so it's not like I could switch anyway.

Speaking of which, I'm assuming that just means there is a pullman in addition to the couch bed and the regular beds? We will be 4 to the cabin which I know will be tight but we are still excited!

With 2 to a balcony or mini-suite (basically, a larger balcony & slightly longer room) - it doesn't matter much, except for the tight access to the closet.

For our balcony with the bed next to the closet, it has less than 18" of space between the edge of the bed & the sliding door to the closet - one's nose (and face) is almost touching the door, makes it tight to get things out & put back into the closet at times. BTW, NCL's officially floor plan had the bed by the balcony door, so it's misleading, not that it matter to us.

With the bed next to the balcony, you have a bigger open space as you enter the stateroom - rather than having the bed sort of in your face. Even with 4 people with the sofa bed coverted and the pullman bed dropped down, you still have "impression" of room to move around, coming out of the bathroom.

These pictures should illustrate the points a little bit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_1358%20%281024x768%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_1351%20%28768x1024%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_1354%281024x768%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150328_1110.jpg

At first, my husband did not like that the television was not in front of the bed since our bed was by the balcony, but I liked that. He soon was just fine with it. We felt like we had so much room, but it was just two of us to the room.

We had an aft facing balcony on the Epic, where the bed was by the balcony. Maybe the layout of the aft facing balconies is a little different, since the TV was right in front of the bed.....?

SAM_0138.jpg.18c051218b2ebcf2f6b7cbf9b555f945.jpg

I always chose staterooms with the seat by the balcony simply because that is where we'd do our planning for the day with the dailies etc and there's more light by the balcony. It also meant that the seat, TV and the balcony itself were like one larger living space.

Ah that does makes sense, I knew there was a simple answer. So is there a way to tell before boarding?

If you just take a look on the deck plans for the Epic, the bed will probably be where the room is at its widest point, here is deck 11, just as an example:

Epic_11_Deck_460_R_101912.png

If you just take a look on the deck plans for the Epic, the bed will probably be where the room is at its widest point, here is deck 11, just as an example:

Epic_11_Deck_460_R_101912.png

Wow, this is the best deck plan I have ever seen. Do you know where it came from. We will be on the Dawn.

Wow, this is the best deck plan I have ever seen. Do you know where it came from. We will be on the Dawn.

To the OP - I am so sorry, I was mixing two different threads (one about the Epic and this one about the Getaway), so I posted the deck plan from the Epic here. On the Getaway the cabins have a different shape, but it is still the same principle - the bed is where the cabin is at its widest point:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway/deck-plans

To oregonian123:

The deckplan is from ncl.com. Under "Learn about our cruises" you can choose "Cruise Ships", then choose the ship you are interested in (i.e. Norwegian Dawn) - then "What's on board" - and finally, under the photo there is a link to "Deck Plans". If you then "click" on the deck plan, it gets enlarged. You can change deck through the yellow check mark that is above the deck plan itself. Here is a link directly to the deck plans for Dawn:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/dawn/deck-plans#full-images-modal

Edited by TrumpyNor

We are in the minority, because we much prefer the bed by the closet. I like having the bathroom, bed, closet, all together. I like having the couch near the balcony, so it seems like a much larger "living room" area, when you include the space in front of the couch and the balcony as one big open space. To me, the bed by the balcony just cuts the room up.

The 2 slim night stands can be moved together next to the closet - with the queen/king bed closest to the bath, that would provide more space for standing in front of the closet. We had to sit on the bed while unpacking & arranging items daily on the open shelves - it's not a big deal.

LrgPizza has excellent points. It's largely a matter of personal preference, with a 3rd. person or possibly a 4th. person in the stateroom, it might feel a little different.

Edited by mking8288

We are in the minority, because we much prefer the bed by the closet. I like having the bathroom, bed, closet, all together. I like having the couch near the balcony, so it seems like a much larger "living room" area, when you include the space in front of the couch and the balcony as one big open space. To me, the bed by the balcony just cuts the room up.
I'm with you on this one. I love relaxing on the couch by the balcony. Besides, we are so rarely in the closet. My husband is a big guy, though, so I might have to be the closet queen on the Breakaway and fetch his clothes for him.

Another reason - Parents with kids sometimes prefer bed by balcony so they can use the balcony in the evening and morning while kids are sleeping without waking them. We use the balcony as our sitting area, and when our teen is asleep (which is a LOT) we can only sit on the bed. Gives me a backache!

To the OP - I am so sorry, I was mixing two different threads (one about the Epic and this one about the Getaway), so I posted the deck plan from the Epic here. On the Getaway the cabins have a different shape, but it is still the same principle - the bed is where the cabin is at its widest point:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway/deck-plans

To oregonian123:

The deckplan is from ncl.com. Under "Learn about our cruises" you can choose "Cruise Ships", then choose the ship you are interested in (i.e. Norwegian Dawn) - then "What's on board" - and finally, under the photo there is a link to "Deck Plans". If you then "click" on the deck plan, it gets enlarged. You can change deck through the yellow check mark that is above the deck plan itself. Here is a link directly to the deck plans for Dawn:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/dawn/deck-plans#full-images-modal

Thank you TrumpyNor. I looked at this link for the Dawn and it does not have all of the wavy lines that show the shape of the cabin and the one next to it.

Do you think the Epic was designed that way in the newer ships and the Dawn was designed with an older model and has all straight walls? We have never been on the Epic. Just wondering..

Another reason - Parents with kids sometimes prefer bed by balcony so they can use the balcony in the evening and morning while kids are sleeping without waking them. We use the balcony as our sitting area, and when our teen is asleep (which is a LOT) we can only sit on the bed. Gives me a backache!

This is exactly the case for us. We can move out to the balcony without disturbing our son if he's asleep.

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be too fussed, although I still booked the bed by the balcony on the Escape when I will be by myself. That was more just habit than a conscious decision. :)

Do you think the Epic was designed that way in the newer ships and the Dawn was designed with an older model and has all straight walls? We have never been on the Epic. Just wondering..

My experience after 18 cruises with NCL, is that the bed is in the middle of the cabin (not by the balcony) at least in all regular balcony cabins fleet wide - with the exception of the new "mega-ships" (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, Escape).

My experience after 18 cruises with NCL, is that the bed is in the middle of the cabin (not by the balcony) at least in all regular balcony cabins fleet wide - with the exception of the new "mega-ships" (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, Escape).

Thank you again. I understand now. :)

Thank you TrumpyNor. I looked at this link for the Dawn and it does not have all of the wavy lines that show the shape of the cabin and the one next to it.

The Epic does have wavy walls (and LOTS of storage spaces). I think they quickly discovered it looked better on paper than in use and abandoned that idea in later builds.