Cuban Cigars

cruiser2053

I purchased one on my most recent cruise. Walked it back onboard in my beach bag and wasn't stopped. I don't know if it's just because that's legal now (I was under the impression it was) or they just didn't see it. Will have to research that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

No it is not yet legal to bring Cuban cigars back into the US.

Nothing has really changed since the announcement of normalizing relations. It will be years and take an act of congress to make any change happen.

I believe, with the new Cuba-U.S. relationship, you can bring up to $100 of Cuban cigars back into the States. President Obama bypassed Congress and issued a executive order on it.

Only if you travel to Cuba and purchase them there

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/~/importing-cuban-cigars

Can I import Cuban cigars into the U.S.?

Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption while there. Authorized travelers may return to the United States with up to $100 worth of alcohol and/or tobacco products acquired in Cuba in accompanied baggage, for personal use only.*

Visit CBP.gov*CBP Public Notice on Process for Imports From Cuba*for more information*on the requirements for authorized imports under the Cuban Assets Control Regulations.

Purchasing Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol over the internet or while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba) remains prohibited.*

For more information about travel to Cuba, please see the Department of Treasury's*Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

Only if you travel to Cuba and purchase them there

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/~/importing-cuban-cigars

Ah okay. Thanks for the clarification on that. A lot of people don't know that and are bringing them back, successfully, from the cruises. Well, there is no way I will ever go to Cuba and give them my money directly -- so I guess that is out. lol

Edited by BrotherCraig

So I can go to Cuba and bring one back but I can't buy one in Cozumel and bring it back, guess I'll have to smoke a bunch on the cruise

You may not be able to be a genuine Cuban in Cozumel. You can probably get many Dominican and other brands masquerading as Cubans though.

If you are a cigar smoker you would know that Cuban cigars are the best.

If you were a cigar smoker, you would know that your statement is not true. Of the top 5 cigars in the world, only 1 Cuban made the list (#4). Nicaraguan cigars were #1 and #3. A Dominican cigar is #2, and a Honduran cigar is #5. This is according to Cigar Aficionado.

If you were a cigar smoker, you would know that your statement is not true. Of the top 5 cigars in the world, only 1 Cuban made the list (#4). Nicaraguan cigars were #1 and #3. A Dominican cigar is #2, and a Honduran cigar is #5. This is according to Cigar Aficionado.

Yes true but all of them made with Cuban seeds

That is the hard part knowing for sure that you are buying the real thing. I saw a list on CC at one time of reputable dealers I was going to see if I could find that again

On another note sure there are other places to find this information but I thought that the reason for CC was to have conversation about things lie this and if people don't want to participate then don't