Woo HOO!!! Just saved a bundle!!!

AKman2495

I just priced mine out again and they showed a higher OBC, is that worth a call to Princess to try to get?

If the offer is not for new bookings only and you booked directly with Princess, call. If with TA I believe you must go through them. It's always worth the call, you never know.

Thanks for the clarification. We have not bought insurance for our Oct 2015 cruise yet and so I am comparing Princess Insurance with outside insurance. We have Trip Cancellation via credit card - though not 'For Any Reason'. Mostly thinking of emergency Medical or Evacuation.

I advise shopping around. We have used other insurance companies before, but now that we get upgraded to the Princess Platinum insurance (especially for the price we got) I am happy.

Obviously like meals in the MDR others will argue about how good/bad the Princess insurance. Others will argue about how much cheaper there insurance is.

For me, I am too old to spend my time endlessly proving to myself that I got a good deal on the insurance. So far, we have fortunately never had to use it, but it is always good to know it is there.

It is something I always buy but hope to never use.....

Every time I see the thread title I giggle and mentally finish the sentence in my head..... "saved a bundle... on my car insurance" Guess I've seen too many commercials.

At any rate, thank you for this thread - it's given me some useful information, which I hope to use for my next cruise. Still looking for a good TA....

We just saved $1260 on a midship balcony on the Royal 27 day British Isles/TA. We lost prepaid gratuities, but we got a lower fare and $200 OBC. The most important part is $1260 less to pay. That will go a long way towards tours.

I managed a savings of $1,110.60 (figure per my TA) on my September sailing on the Ocean Princess yesterday. I did downgrade from BB to BE, but that's trivial. This is the second reduction I've had since booking.

I generally do the hunting myself, both for prices and for better cabins. I have more incentive than my TA has!

I do not do specialty restaurants but I'll find a use for the money.

Edited by Wehwalt

...The insurance cost just under $200 when we booked,but they dave it to is for $131. Ours is not to wonder why, us is to grab the discount....

The price drop for insurance most likely reflects your overall fare reduction, as you are now insuring a less expensive cruise. Princess seems to be inconsistent on this, though. I have been told in the past by a phone rep that they do not reduce the Princess insurance amount for fare drops on an existing booking, only if you cancel and rebook. But then another rep told me they do reduce the insurance premium as well :confused:.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

i advise shopping around. We have used other insurance companies before, but now that we get upgraded to the princess platinum insurance (especially for the price we got) i am happy.

Obviously like meals in the mdr others will argue about how good/bad the princess insurance. Others will argue about how much cheaper there insurance is.

For me, i am too old to spend my time endlessly proving to myself that i got a good deal on the insurance. So far, we have fortunately never had to use it, but it is always good to know it is there.

It is something i always buy but hope to never use.....

having cruise insurance is, in my mind, a must....you never know when it will be needed...if you purchase princess insurance and have platinum upgrade, great, also, if you paid your cruise with a credit card, check with the credit card company to see what

they cover . Our discover card will pay anything over the princess insurance coverage.

Hopefully, other cards offer the same. We know of someone having to be evacuated from the ship and it cost thousands of dollars, partially covered by the card company, over the princess allowance.

Like any other insurance you purchase, auto, homeowners etc,. It is a necessary evil.. It is a small but vital part of your cruise cost, hopefully, never having to use it.

The kids

Hopefully, other cards offer the same. We know of someone having to be evacuated from the ship and it cost thousands of dollars, partially covered by the card company, over the princess allowance.

This is what scares me a little about Princess insurance. Their coverages are not very high. Most people who respond to these threads have not needed evacuation coverage so we don't know what it really costs. This sounds like it did indeed cost more than the allowance although it is unclear if that party had Princess insurance or was just relying on their card company.

The price drop for insurance most likely reflects your overall fare reduction, as you are now insuring a less expensive cruise. Princess seems to be inconsistent on this, though. I have been told in the past by a phone rep that they do not reduce the Princess insurance amount for fare drops on an existing booking, only if you cancel and rebook. But then another rep told me they do reduce the insurance premium as well :confused:.

I was confused by that too. But when she said.."Oh, you save on the insurance too!", I was not about to argue with her....

This is what scares me a little about Princess insurance. Their coverages are not very high. Most people who respond to these threads have not needed evacuation coverage so we don't know what it really costs. This sounds like it did indeed cost more than the allowance although it is unclear if that party had Princess insurance or was just relying on their card company.

Insurance is a bet that one hopes never to pay off. That said, most of the threads I have see about losses have been from people with no insurance complaining about not being recompensed for their loss......

The Princess platinum plan pays up to $50,000 for emergency evacuation/repatriation. I guess that would cover a lot of repatriating.....

Edited by AKman2495

Thank you. That clears things up. This will be our first Princess cruise, and we're new to cruising generally, so I'm not up on any of this stuff. I booked with Princess and got no OBC or anything special, but that's okay. I'll keep my eyes open for deals if we ever cruise again.

Yikes . . . yep keep your eyes open, I always book with a TA to get more specials [not all TAs are cruise savy though}

Edited by West Coast Gal

[quote name='SoCal Cruiser78']The price drop for insurance most likely reflects your overall fare reduction, as you are now insuring a less expensive cruise. Princess seems to be inconsistent on this, though. [B]I have been told in the past by a phone rep that they do not reduce the Princess insurance amount for fare drops on an existing booking, only if you cancel and rebook. But then another rep told me they do reduce the insurance premium as well :confused:.[/quote][/B]

It seems wrong that they wouldn't reduce the insurance cost since they always [B][I]increase[/I][/B] the insurance cost when the price of the cruise goes up when offered an up-sell.

[quote name='iceleven'][/B]

It seems wrong that they wouldn't reduce the insurance cost since they always [B][I]increase[/I][/B] the insurance cost when the price of the cruise goes up when offered an up-sell.[/QUOTE]

The insurance you pay is based on a percentage; i.e. 8% for me, of what you pay for the cruise. That premium goes down percentage wise after the price of your fare I believe goes beyond $4000/pp. And yes, insurance does go down if your fare goes down. Edited by Pia1913

[quote name='SoCal Cruiser78']Congrats! I'm waiting for my fall coastal on the Ruby to drop--it has only gone up since I booked, and my cabin category seems wide open.[/quote]

I'm kinda in the same "boat" regarding a Mexican Riviera cruise I'm trying to coordinate for friends (ironically, also on the Ruby) in late October. Last sale was back in March, and now prices are much higher and not being discounted (despite many open cabins).

And I find it disappointing that Princess tends to often offer lame perks (only $25 pp for balcony, or their famous(?) coupon book), whereas Celebrity offers beverage package (approx $50/day) for many of there sales. Hard to attract people with small perks, and firm pricing.

[quote name='tedferg']we have a chase card and they provide pretty good insurance for trip cancellation, trip interruption etc. But not medical or evacuation. I was surprised by this.[/quote]

ask your credit card company to provide you with a print out of what their insurance covers. When i spoke with the card rep they mentioned partial coverage but when i received the print out, there was many other covered items. Insurance can vary by what cards you have. Hope never to have to use the coverage, but, knowing from a friends experience, it covered almost his entire expense after princess coverage was used up/
the kids