Woo HOO!!! Just saved a bundle!!!

AKman2495

Just causally checking our cruise prices and discovered a nice drop in price.

I did lose $100 in obc and the free specialty dining coupon...but, with reductions in the room and the Princess insurance I am getting back $907!!!!!

I think I can afford to pay for the specialty restaurant with that savings!!!

It just pays to keep checking.....

I did lose $100 in obc and the free specialty dining coupon...but, with reductions in the room and the Princess insurance I am getting back $907!!!!!

Nice Save! Congrats!

I'm new here, so please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand what you mean. Did you just book a new cruise cheaper than a price you saw earlier, or had you already booked a cruise and then call to get a lower price? Had you already paid for the cruise and then got a lower price? Also, who did you call for the lower price, a TA or Princess directly?

I see mentions of getting reduced rates, but I don't understand how... and what if your level of cabin is already sold out but they're offering lower rates on a cheaper room only... can you still request and receive a reduced rate for your cabin level?

TIA

I'm new here, so please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand what you mean. Did you just book a new cruise cheaper than a price you saw earlier, or had you already booked a cruise and then call to get a lower price? Had you already paid for the cruise and then got a lower price? Also, who did you call for the lower price, a TA or Princess directly?

I see mentions of getting reduced rates, but I don't understand how... and what if your level of cabin is already sold out but they're offering lower rates on a cheaper room only... can you still request and receive a reduced rate for your cabin level?

TIA

If it is before final payment and your price goes down you call whomever you booked with…. your TA or Princess. It is not generally a new booking. As previously mentioned if your cabin category is sold out then there is no pricing available. For ex. You paid $900 for a category BB balcony. That category is now $800. You are before final payment so call your TA or Princess (whomever you booked with) and ask for the new pricing. Keep in mind that any promotions you got with the old pricing will disappear but as the OP found out he is saving a lot more $$$ than the promos that disappeared.

If it is before final payment and your price goes down you call whomever you booked with…. your TA or Princess. It is not generally a new booking. As previously mentioned if your cabin category is sold out then there is no pricing available. For ex. You paid $900 for a category BB balcony. That category is now $800. You are before final payment so call your TA or Princess (whomever you booked with) and ask for the new pricing. Keep in mind that any promotions you got with the old pricing will disappear but as the OP found out he is saving a lot more $$$ than the promos that disappeared.

Could be for new bookings only and you may lose your obc or any other goodies with the booking, not to mention a non refundable deposit.

Its not unheard of to get a refund after final as well. A good TA who will go to bat for you helps.

hahaha K. Just happened today on my next cruise. Other cats went down; mine did not.

Well... They don't often discount the "wine time" cabins. :)

(Hope Mike is doing at least a little better.)

...what if your level of cabin is already sold out but they're offering lower rates on a cheaper room only... can you still request and receive a reduced rate for your cabin level? TIA

OT: No, but you can cancel and rebook a category that is included on the lower rates. Just be sure to consider, as others have mentioned, that you may lose a deposit or other perks associated with the fare you initially booked. Do keep checking the Princess website, though, as a sold-out category can open back up as booked passengers cancel or get upgraded/upsold.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Congrats! I'd rather have the cash than OBC and a dining coupon any day!

OT: No, but you can cancel and rebook a category that is included on the lower rates. Just be sure to consider, as others have mentioned, that you may lose a deposit or other perks associated with the fare you initially booked. Do keep checking the Princess website, though, as a sold-out category can open back up as booked passengers cancel or get upgraded/upsold.

Thank you. That clears things up. This will be our first Princess cruise, and we're new to cruising generally, so I'm not up on any of this stuff. I booked with Princess and got no OBC or anything special, but that's okay. I'll keep my eyes open for deals if we ever cruise again.

Thank you. That clears things up. This will be our first Princess cruise, and we're new to cruising generally, so I'm not up on any of this stuff. I booked with Princess and got no OBC or anything special, but that's okay. I'll keep my eyes open for deals if we ever cruise again.

Talk to your friends/families, a TA can discount at least 10% of the cruise fare as compared to booking directly through Princess.

To OP. When you said '... with Princess Insurance ...' does that mean you were able to cancel For Any Reason and so cancel and rebook ?

If not then what does your 'insurance' comment mean ?

Congrats on the discount - we were recently able to re-fare with a price drop and addition of unlimited beverage package. We also lost $100 OBC each and Specialty Dining, but as has been said, new deal more than made up for that.

TIA

As to our specific circumstances, back in 2014 -way back in 2014 when they first announced this cruise, we booked a stateroom at the posted price. We used future cruise credits, which put down a $100 deposit for each of us.

They we waited. Back in February, they has a sale and we saved $600 back then and got the extra obc and free dinner.

Then, yesterday I got the latest deal and saved a bunch-plus they reduced the cost of the insurance....THe deposit is non refundable, but that is no big deal with insurance (and in the worst case, it is $200).

I booked this myself, so I called Princess, gave them my booking number and mentioned the new sale. In this case, I did not have to cancel the booking. They just gave me the discount and changed the conditions of the deal.

You have to check the details of the deal before you accept them, but it never hurts to ask.

To OP. When you said '... with Princess Insurance ...' does that mean you were able to cancel For Any Reason and so cancel and rebook ?

If not then what does your 'insurance' comment mean ?

Congrats on the discount - we were recently able to re-fare with a price drop and addition of unlimited beverage package. We also lost $100 OBC each and Specialty Dining, but as has been said, new deal more than made up for that.

When I book, I buy the Princess Insurance. Being Platinum we get a free upgrade from he basic insurance. We do have cancel for any reason, but that will give you a 100% cruise credit. If you cancel for approved reason you got your money back.

The insurance cost just under $200 when we booked,but they dave it to is for $131. Ours is not to wonder why, us is to grab the discount....

One more comment to beginners. Princess does not make the decisions for you (they don't cut the fares and call you with the good news). That is why we say you have to check from time to time.

If you have a really good TA, they will check the prices for you, but they are the exception.

Edited by AKman2495

When I book, I buy the Princess Insurance. Being Platinum we get a free upgrade from he basic insurance. We do have cancel for any reason, but that will give you a 100% cruise credit. If you cancel for approved reason you got your money back.

The insurance cost just under $200 when we booked,but they dave it to is for $131. Ours is not to wonder why, us is to grab the discount....

Thanks for the clarification. We have not bought insurance for our Oct 2015 cruise yet and so I am comparing Princess Insurance with outside insurance. We have Trip Cancellation via credit card - though not 'For Any Reason'. Mostly thinking of emergency Medical or Evacuation.