Souvenirs for co-workers

Tee & Chilli

If you have any craft beer drinkers at work, I would suggest picking up some Alaskan Smoked Porter. You'd be looking about about $8 per 22oz bottle. If you are from Florida, you won't find it that far east and it is a solid beer with a good reputation in the craft beer world.

The downfall to this is that you are looking about about 2.5 pounds per bottle. A few bottles add up to a lot of weight quickly in the luggage.

If you have any craft beer drinkers at work, I would suggest picking up some Alaskan Smoked Porter. You'd be looking about about $8 per 22oz bottle. If you are from Florida, you won't find it that far east and it is a solid beer with a good reputation in the craft beer world.

The downfall to this is that you are looking about about 2.5 pounds per bottle. A few bottles add up to a lot of weight quickly in the luggage.

Well, now I know what souvenir my husband will be buying himself! :rolleyes:

When my friend at work took this cruise a few years ago she brought me back a nice scarf. Which I will be bringing with me on our own cruise.

When returning from spring trips to Italy (totally unnecessary gratuitous gloat - the lovely mrs b-d and I are on Sardinia for five weeks) I would pack a conference room at lunch w/ a photo travel log. A shared experience would have more depth than some trinkets you felt required to buy. But like baby pictures, you need to know when enough is enough.

Many libraries loan digital video projectors.

We have bought colorful shopping bags in Ketchikan with bold totem or First Nation prints screened on the front. Flat, light and easy to pack and as I recall cost less than $5 - usually hanging behind checkout counter. Forget the name of the shop but it is on Creek Street a few buildings past Dolly's house. Also great tee shirts there. Also love Soho Coho towards the end of Creek Street - unique tees, Cards, small artwork and always a destination making us smile.

Sounds like Ketchikan will be the place to shop for gifts. We aren't in port for very long and we didn't book an excursion. I would imagine there are plenty of stores to shop at on Creek Street. I think the trouble will be trying to decide what to buy. I'm kind of leaning toward chocolates and canned smoked salmon. I'd have the stuff shipped to our home. Less hassle that way. Again, thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas!

I've been a customer of Taku Smokery for many years. At the tram Parking lot in Juneau. So, if time is short in Ketchikan, another place where tastings are available. Last year, I bought several 3 packs- in a net bag for my nephews at a small discount compared to individual can purchases. I am picky about my canned salmon preferences, and have always enjoyed theirs.

There is a lot of range of selections, available in every port in multiple vendors. I did buy some smoked Copper river salmon at Walmart last year, and my nephew raved about it. :)

With the candy bars, you can usually find discount coupons. Last year Ketchikan had coupon books in the shopping area at the south end of the dock in bins. These were different then the "destination" guide book. I've also used candy bar coupons in Skagway. Finally- there is Walmart who also has the "Alaska" candy bars. I know some aren't made in Alaska, but they do have nice Alaska wrappers, and are tasty chocolate. Had been an enjoyed cheap gift for many years, for my preferences.

How did you pack the bottles? I'd love to bring back some beer after my trip this summer, but I'd be very worried about the fragility of bottled liquids in my luggage!

How did you pack the bottles? I'd love to bring back some beer after my trip this summer, but I'd be very worried about the fragility of bottled liquids in my luggage!

I just wrap them in my clothes, haven't had anything broken yet. :)

I just wrap them in my clothes, haven't had anything broken yet. :)

I do exactly this. The major thing is to make sure the glass in the bottles touches nothing hard. I also try to make sure that the bottles are as much toward the middle of the suitcase as possible.

When I went to Midnight Sun Brewing in Anchorage and got a few bottles of their brew, they actually had bubble wrap bags you can put the bottles in. I mentioned I was going back to Juneau that day and they came out with the bubble wrap to help me :)

I don't have any additional ideas...except I'm not sure anyone mentioned Ketchikandies? That's where I'm going for my chocoholic MIL'S gift :)

But I just wanted to say that you are sweet and thoughtful to consider bringing a little of AK home to your workmates cooped up in the office while you cruise ;).

I would pack a conference room at lunch w/ a photo travel log.
I used to do a similar thing.... today.... just upload everything onto online photo site.... write up some captions and then let people view at their leisure.

Any suggestions on inexpensive souvenirs to bring back for co-workers. The ship stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait and Seward. Due to excursions I will not have time for extensive shopping.

Is it a tradition in your office that you must bring stuff back or you will be ostracized? If it is not a tradition, I would not bother. If you must, bring back a single box of an Alaskan edible and you will be done in 5 minutes and you will not be wasting time buying stuff for others.

DON

if you want to buy some things that don't cost

a lot..go to Tongass Trading Post in Ketchikan.

They have anything and everything there.

You want something small..if they play games the they

have playing cards with Alaska scenes. Calendars

with different pictures of Alaska, they will have 2016.

They have candy, jams ect. It's a two story building.

Has lots of clothes shoes ect upstairs.

They have the knifes and usually they are wrapped

and the cruise doesn't take them. They know your

buying them to take home. If they did take them will give

back at the end of the cruise.

Also there is A Christmas Store in Ketchikan that

has different things and Santa Claus there sitting in a chair.

by his Christmas tree.