Jamies on Anthem

They said we could ignore the prices and just order whatever we liked.

Exactly the scenario that created the a la carte charges in the first place. So tip chasing waiters continue to erode the company profit margin & 'greedy' customers get the blame for the price hike.

Exactly the scenario that created the a la carte charges in the first place. So tip chasing waiters continue to erode the company profit margin & 'greedy' customers get the blame for the price hike.

Why can't they make it like Chops and just not allow more than 1 entree per person? That's what I understood they do there as an unwritten policy. But maybe I'm wrong and it depends on the waiter

And they are now at http://hjorth.com/menus-from-anthem-of-the-seas/ - will upload and write about the entire trip when we get a little time.

- Nicolai

Many thanks for doing this. Its nice to see some Vegetarian marked dishes in the complimentary restaurants as the website doesnt state which are vegetarian. Shame devinly decadence, being healthy, doesnt indicate any vegetarian options. Its also a bit hit and miss as to which menu you will face in the complimentary restaurants from the two versions as in each restaurant there is certainly a preferred menu from the two per venue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just thought that the change to a la carte may reduce revenue? People could book a table and just go and have an appetiser or desert. At least a cover charge brought in a set amount per passenger. Ok a few may order additional dishes but food costs are relatively minor in the scheme of things.

Would it be OK to share the copies of the menus on a group FB page for our upcoming Anthem cruise?

Of course, I can hardly claim license on a screendump :) Send me an e-mail and I'll send you them all in a single ZIP file.

Hope you'll have a good time.

- Nicolai

Just thought I'd let you know that our pre booking at Jamie's was honoured & we weren't charged any extra. The food was good but there didn't seem to be a lot of take up of the pay as you go option as the restaurant was only about half occupied. We had intended going for lunch on the last day but when we got there were told it wasn't open for lunch which is contrary to what is advertised.

Anyway, rest assure that if you booked & paid when it was being offered with a cover charge you won't be expected to pay any extra once on board.

• 3 weeks later...

We're booked on Anthem this fall and months ago had made and paid for a reservation at Jamie's, well before the switch to a la carte. I've been back and forth with Crown & Anchor for weeks attempting to get an email to confirm that our payment will be honored and we will not be charged anything else for our dinner. Finally, they wrote to me that our pre-paid cover charge would get us a "full meal." That seemed artfully and oddly worded, and when I asked for clarification, this is what they wrote back:

Typically, our specialty restaurants offer our guests an appetizer, entrée, and dessert for a set cover charge; this is what would be referred to as the “full meal”. You have the option to enjoy your dining experience at Jamie’s Italian in this fashion, or you have the option to apply what you have already paid towards a la carte purchases. If you elect to apply your payment towards a la carte purchases, you will receive a credit to your onboard account, should you spend less than the original cover charge.

The language above could be read to prohibit me from having a salad if I order an appetizer. That's not how cover-charge specialty dining works, and they know it. I do think they've changed the deal here. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and certainly will not let it affect our vacation, but I also hope we won't have to haggle with the restaurant staff over our "full meal."

We're booked on Anthem this fall and months ago had made and paid for a reservation at Jamie's, well before the switch to a la carte. I've been back and forth with Crown & Anchor for weeks attempting to get an email to confirm that our payment will be honored and we will not be charged anything else for our dinner. Finally, they wrote to me that our pre-paid cover charge would get us a "full meal." That seemed artfully and oddly worded, and when I asked for clarification, this is what they wrote back:

The language above could be read to prohibit me from having a salad if I order an appetizer. That's not how cover-charge specialty dining works, and they know it. I do think they've changed the deal here. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and certainly will not let it affect our vacation, but I also hope we won't have to haggle with the restaurant staff over our "full meal."

See the above post by Capegull. I don't think you'll have any issues

• 2 weeks later...

Folks on my Anthem TA Roll Call reported rumors yesterday that Jamie's was going back to fixed-pricing, and indeed today when I sign in to Cruise Planner it is showing a $30 charge, not the $0/a la carte that was showing after the switch to a la carte. So it appears that the a la carte experiment is over. Can others confirm that?

If it has been switched back to fixed pricing as it seems, that was awfully quick and RCI looks silly. Was Jamie's pretty much under booked when a la carte? (I know it would not have interested me.) Couldn't RCI have seen this coming?

Folks on my Anthem TA Roll Call reported rumors yesterday that Jamie's was going back to fixed-pricing, and indeed today when I sign in to Cruise Planner it is showing a $30 charge, not the $0/a la carte that was showing after the switch to a la carte. So it appears that the a la carte experiment is over. Can others confirm that?

If it has been switched back to fixed pricing as it seems, that was awfully quick and RCI looks silly. Was Jamie's pretty much under booked when a la carte? (I know it would not have interested me.) Couldn't RCI have seen this coming?

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately our cruise planner is having a day off so I could not check ours.

Im not suprised if it has gone back to a fixed price. Many reviews reported it to be very quiet since the change to pay per dish. A La Carte pricing really does emphasise that you are paying extra on top of your cruise price. Certainly we wouldnt have visited Jamies if a la carte as its only just slightly less expensive than visiting Jamies in our home town. To be honest I feel a little as though they were trying to squeeze more money from a mainly UK crowd as Jamie is well known here.

If it has changed back to a fixed price we still wont be visiting on our Sep cruise. Weve been to Jamies locally so it wont be a new experience for us.

I had seen posts from someone onboard who said that it was once again a cover charge, not a la carte. I just checked one of my cruises and it still says a la carte - but where it says starting from 0.0 it now says starting from $30, which is even more expensive than before.

I did not try to book it to see what would happen.

I had seen posts from someone onboard who said that it was once again a cover charge, not a la carte. I just checked one of my cruises and it still says a la carte - but where it says starting from 0.0 it now says starting from $30, which is even more expensive than before.

I did not try to book it to see what would happen.

It was $30 several months ago when I booked it for this Oct.

But since then they went a la carte and reportedly switched back.

I think you misread my comment. I was responding to someone who said the $30 charge now is more than before a la carte; I was merely stating that BEFORE the switch to a la carte, the charge was the same $30 that it is now with the switch back to fixed-pricing. (Maybe Jamie's was originally less than $30, but it was $30 before the switch to a la carte.)

The price for Jamie's when I was onboard Quantum was the fixed 25, but that went up to 30, which is what I reserved it for on several Anthem cruises- however - on the cruise I have yet to book it - it does not say $30, it says from $30, and it still indicates that it is a la carte - which basically indicates a la carte with a $30 minimum, a far cry from originally being shown as a la carte - from $0.

I hope it's a mistake.

The price for Jamie's when I was onboard Quantum was the fixed 25, but that went up to 30, which is what I reserved it for on several Anthem cruises- however - on the cruise I have yet to book it - it does not say $30, it says from $30, and it still indicates that it is a la carte - which basically indicates a la carte with a $30 minimum, a far cry from originally being shown as a la carte - from $0.

I hope it's a mistake.

All the upcharge venues have prices "starting from," but they are each the fixed price shown. My Cruise Planner, for example, shows Chops as "starting from $39," but the price is fixed at $39 and the restaurant is not a la carte. I will be surprised if the "a la carte" note on Jamie's is not a mistake they still haven't fixed after restoring the $30 cover charge.