** Alert! ** Oriana limps in to Port Miami with reported Engine Room fire!

northerndynasty

Hi if you go in Miami cruise port webcam .its got its webcam directly looking at the ship every thing seams ok. But it's a fantastic picture all the lights are on. If you press the sound icon you can here live broadcast. I'm always watching this webcam as we were there a few weeks ago.

...that whatever happened last night (which is being kept very-much on the down-low), was resolved.

Seems optimistic, considering She limped in to Port at about 2.2k and needed tugs on both sides to re-position and set-forth in to berth.

Kind of surprised at the lack of coverage, but we don't need any negative news on our beloved cruising interests!

I haven't heard anything else, but as some of you are suggesting, hopefully She'll be dropping lines in just under 45 minutes and heading back out on Her journey!

I was watching the Port Of Miami web cam when the distress call from the Oriana came into to the United States Coast Guard. The Oriana reported a fire in the engine room and had told the Coast Guard that they had extinguished it. When asked if they needed assistance, Oriana replied "NO" they still had power. The Oriana transmitted a cell phone number back to the Coast Guard so that they could call representatives from P&O because Oriana was beyond cell phone range. I would have to assume that Oriana was ordered back to the POM just to be sure everything is in working order before continuing on her journey!! For those who want to watch, here is the link to the port of Miami webcam:http://portmiamiwebcam.com

Edited by Mikesa1721

I was watching the Port Of Miami web cam when the distress call from the Oriana came into to the United States Coast Guard. The Oriana reported a fire in the engine room and had told the Coast Guard that they had extinguished it. When asked if they needed assistance, Oriana replied "NO" they still had power. The Oriana transmitted a cell phone number back to the Coast Guard so that they could call representatives from P&O because Oriana was beyond cell phone range. I would have to assume that Oriana was ordered back to the POM just to be sure everything is in working order before continuing on her journey!! For those who want to watch, here is the link to the port of Miami webcam:http://portmiamiwebcam.com

...I can see activity on the decks and a good-colored smoke softly billowing out her stack. Seems like a good sight. It is past the "rumored" 8AM departure, but the way things look...She probably is getting read to drop lines...

AND...just as I say that...the lines are being dropped!!!

Edited by northerndynasty

My mum has just text me , they are heading straight to New Orleans getting there on Tuesday !

...and perfect timing, as there's some stormy activity in the Gulf right now, so by the time they get there, hopefully it'll all be cleared-up and they'll have a fantastic time!

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Oriana and to be quite honest the fire was out before it started.

The alarm went and within 30 seconds crew were stood down. The problems were with the US Coast Guard who initially instructed us to drop anchor and wait until they came out to check us over. Then they changed their mind and instructed us to report back to port. We then had to wait for the Pilot to return to the ship. We were given the all clear around 2-30 am but couldn't sail because of the incoming traffic - hence the delay until after 8-00 am. As a result we had to miss Key West but received £100 each OBC + a bottle on wine.

These things happen, it was no big deal

David E

We were on the Oriana and to be quite honest the fire was out before it started.

The alarm went and within 30 seconds crew were stood down. The problems were with the US Coast Guard who initially instructed us to drop anchor and wait until they came out to check us over. Then they changed their mind and instructed us to report back to port. We then had to wait for the Pilot to return to the ship. We were given the all clear around 2-30 am but couldn't sail because of the incoming traffic - hence the delay until after 8-00 am. As a result we had to miss Key West but received £100 each OBC + a bottle on wine.

David E

Thanks for the honest update without histrionics. Hoping for you no more incidents occur and that wine slides down nicely.

David E

Thanks for the update and it's so good to hear from somebody who accepts that these kind of things can happen, and tells it as it is without the moans and groans we've had on these boards recently.

Edited by tartanexile81

Not only has Silver Surfer 2010 given a very accurate description of what occurred but I would add we had a great evening with a deck party on board whilst having a superb view of Miami at night.

We were in our cabin getting ready for dinner when the alarm went off, so didn't see this for ourselves but apparently the response from the crew when the alarm sounded was absolutely superb. Everyone just stopped whatever they were doing and went to their Emergency Stations. As the passenger alarm didn't sound there was no need for panic and it was quite soon afterwards, that the explanation came re what had occurred.

However just to assure everyone that the moaners do still live and breathe, there were little mutterings of complaint, regarding the delay to dinner, heard. :mad:

Eat later or swim, easy choice! :D

Edited by Prefdavid