Immigration

Janet-

We are sailing into Victoria BC on Regatta, does anyone have any idea how long immigration will take please. We are due to arrive at noon. Will it be quayside or done on board.

The American Immigration process is perhaps less rigorous than other nations and does not require face to face comparison before debarking the ship. We photo check as you leave the secure customs area with your luggage on the pier (It's a two birds with one stone, thing).

Therefore, Passports are collected by the Pursers office at the start of most voyages and they are available for the perusal of the Immigration Authorities whenever they board the ship.

Passengers holding non USA Passports are typically summoned to one of the Lounges on the morning of debarkation, it's usually a cursory inspection of documents, but of course, there are no guarantees, and some cruises have larger numbers of non-North Americans than others. More people simply take more time; and there isn't any way of telling in advance.

If you're asking because you want to schedule a flight home, it's best to allow several hours more than you think that you will need.

Nobody EVER rushes Immigration, and all the rest and relaxation of a lovely cruise can melt away in a minute if you're stressing about missing your flight!

The American Immigration process is perhaps less rigorous than other nations and does not require face to face comparison before debarking the ship. We photo check as you leave the secure customs area with your luggage on the pier (It's a two birds with one stone, thing).

Therefore, Passports are collected by the Pursers office at the start of most voyages and they are available for the perusal of the Immigration Authorities whenever they board the ship.

Passengers holding non USA Passports are typically summoned to one of the Lounges on the morning of debarkation, it's usually a cursory inspection of documents, but of course, there are no guarantees, and some cruises have larger numbers of non-North Americans than others. More people simply take more time; and there isn't any way of telling in advance.

If you're asking because you want to schedule a flight home, it's best to allow several hours more than you think that you will need.

Nobody EVER rushes Immigration, and all the rest and relaxation of a lovely cruise can melt away in a minute if you're stressing about missing your flight!

They're arriving in Victoria, BC, not the US, and are asking about the procedures in that Canadian port, not the US. I'm not even sure they're asking about debarkation...it could be a port call. (And no, I don't know what the procedures are in Victoria, BC so I won't pontificate about how easy or hard it is.)

PS...just checked some of the OP's other posts. Looks like they're on the May 9 cruise that departs San Francisco and ends in Vancouver. Victoria is the last port of call, not the disembarkation port.

Edited by njhorseman

I had to smile when I read that US immigration is less rigorous than other countries since every time I come to the states I'm fingerprinted and photographed, but thanks for taking the time to respond.

We are not debarking in Victoria but wanted to book a trip.

When we sailed into Victoria we just walked through. Where will you have come from, the UK or the US? We sailed in from Seattle/Vancouver and just had to show passports to the officials as we arrived. No delay.

BTW For UK citizens coming to America, US Immigration is the most rigorous that we ever experience.

When we sailed into Victoria we just walked through. Where will you have come from, the UK or the US? We sailed in from Seattle/Vancouver and just had to show passports to the officials as we arrived. No delay.

BTW For UK citizens coming to America, US Immigration is the most rigorous that we ever experience.

Victoria will be our first Canadian stop after USA.

I'm guessing from your name that you were lucky enough to go to Los Angeles on Arcadia:)

To be clear, my description of US Immigration as being less stringent had to do with the treatment of United States Passport holders, who, having given their Passports to the Purser at the start of a Cruise, are typically NOT required to assemble with said Passports in a Lounge prior to debarking the ship.

When we disembarked in Miami, we had face-to-face appointment/interview with US immigration on board the Riviera.

When we disembarked in Miami, we had face-to-face appointment/interview with US immigration on board the Riviera.

We always do as well ;)

up at the crack of dawn to get in line, pick up passports & talk to the nice Officials in the lounge

To be clear, my description of US Immigration as being less stringent had to do with the treatment of United States Passport holders, who, having given their Passports to the Purser at the start of a Cruise, are typically NOT required to assemble with said Passports in a Lounge prior to debarking the ship.

Why would US passport holders have to go through US immigration at all? Isn't passport control enough?

Or is that the same thing?

Edited by SellaVee

We are sailing into Victoria BC on Regatta, does anyone have any idea how long immigration will take please. We are due to arrive at noon. Will it be quayside or done on board.

We did the same thing last year (May 2014) - after port calls in San Diego, Los Angles, and San Francisco we did a port call in Victoria and then disembarked in Vancouver. We filled out a Canadian custom/immigration form onboard the ship and turned in to the front desk several days in advance of the Victoria call.

There was no face-to-face inspection in Victoria or Vancouver (for us anyway). We did see inspectors in both ports (ashore) - some talking to people - but have no idea why. There was no delay going ashore in Victoria and only the normal luggage unloading time in Vancouver.

Of note, we are both US Citizens with no criminal records and we were traveling on NCL. The experience may be different for citizens of other countries and when traveling on other lines - and it may have changed over the past year.

Victoria will be our first Canadian stop after USA.

I'm guessing from your name that you were lucky enough to go to Los Angeles on Arcadia:)

Yes Janet< we were. Least said, soonest mended, but unfortunately I am unable to forget!!!!