Outdoor movies on the summit???

sullyd

So, the solution is to force some people to search for a place to relax away from the pool just so a few people can enjoy movies? Doesn't seem right to inconvenience people just so a few can turn the pool area into a movie theater showing movies that probably don't meet everyone's tastes, or even worse, sporting events.

Why you are sure only few people enjoy movies? You spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on your cruise ,don't you have balcony to relax? :p:p

I don't know. I just have a brain that says "does not compute" when I have to see a giant screen and hear all the noise that accompanies whatever they are showing. I can see movies and ballgames at home. I can't walk on the deck, enjoy ocean breeze, and just chill in the cruise moment. :D We do spend time on our balcony and thoroughly enjoy it, but we also like to come up on deck and stroll, people watch, eat, drink and just feel that feeling we get when we are cruising.

Decent idea of having the screen on Deck 12 in a less common area as mentioned. It was not like this when we recently sailed Princess and was disappointing. Did not ruin the cruise though even though I would have preferred to pull the plug and run. :eek:

God made us all different and we are entitled to our own likes and dislikes.

I don't know. I just have a brain that says "does not compute" when I have to see a giant screen and hear all the noise that accompanies whatever they are showing.

There is no screen. It's just a white wall and the movie is projected there. During the day, it's a sun deck.

deck12a.jpg

So, the solution is to force some people to search for a place to relax away from the pool just so a few people can enjoy movies? Doesn't seem right to inconvenience people just so a few can turn the pool area into a movie theater showing movies that probably don't meet everyone's tastes, or even worse, sporting events.

Dear SantaFeFan,

Since your comments quoted mine, I presume you are directing them to me despite the fact that you obviously didn't read them. Therefore, I feel compelled to reply.

1. No one is suggesting that some people need to search for a place to relax away from the pool, since there is no pool on Deck 12 Aft where movies are apparently shown in the evenings.

2. Again, no pool on Deck 12 aft, so a few people are not turning the pool area into a movie theater.

3. You referenced a Princess sailing, but apparently didn't realize there is more than one pool and only one of the three (or more depending on the ship) pools is impacted by a movie screen.

4. At any given time on any ship, there are numerous activities underway. If you don't care for one, there are other options. If I don't care for a particular entertainer, I appreciate having the option to see a movie instead. Seeing a movie in a theater at home is not something we do, which is one of the ways we save our limited discretionary income to be able to afford to cruise.

Disclaimer: I have not yet sailed on the Summit, but am capable of reading deck plans so am fairly confident regarding the layout of the ship. However, if I am mistaken that showing a movie in Deck 12 At somehow interferes with those sitting by the pool in the evening (really, how many people are doing that?) then I offer sincere apologies.

Warm wishes for your future sailings!

Be careful what you wish for.

A number of years ago, Princess introduced their "innovative" MUTS (Movies Under The Stars) feature. Advertising showed photos of attractive families, all cozied up together on deck loungers, enjoying a nighttime "child-friendly" film. Munching popcorn, some wrapped in pretty plaid blankets ... this would certainly appeal to cruisers with youngsters.

Fast forward a few years, and that infernal mega-screen is lit up close to 24-7!

All day long; football, music videos, advertising for shore excursions, commercials to buy junk from the on-board shops, repeats of the Princess TV channel ... an unrelenting assault on the senses. Just try relaxing by the pool. You can't even enjoy a quiet early morning breakfast. Thanks to the annoying screen, it's easy to forget that you took this cruise to be at sea!

But the trend seems to be spreading. My personal opinion: "Put a stop to it before it's too late!"

A number of years ago, Princess introduced their "innovative" MUTS (Movies Under The Stars) feature. Advertising showed photos of attractive families, all cozied up together on deck loungers, enjoying a nighttime "child-friendly" film. Munching popcorn, some wrapped in pretty plaid blankets ... this would certainly appeal to cruisers with youngsters.

Fast forward a few years, and that infernal mega-screen is lit up close to 24-7!

All day long; football, music videos, advertising for shore excursions, commercials to buy junk from the on-board shops, repeats of the Princess TV channel ... an unrelenting assault on the senses. Just try relaxing by the pool. You can't even enjoy a quiet early morning breakfast. Thanks to the annoying screen, it's easy to forget that you took this cruise to be at sea!

But the trend seems to be spreading. My personal opinion: "Put a stop to it before it's too late!"

LOL. You eat your breakfast by the pool? Hmmm that might be your problem. As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of it during the day but it's a very simple exercise to just pick another pool. Princess has several

We have cabin 1138 on the Summit booked for next January. Looks like the movie is directly above those aft cabins. Anyone know how the noise from the movie/deck chairs is for the rooms below?

Have 1138 in 2 weeks...........will let you know.

It is exactly what we observed when we (HAL) were parked on the other side of the pier from the Royal Princess at Crown Bay. Non-stop music/commercials and extremely loud. Between that and the TINY balconies its a no-go for us. YMMV.

Bad to loose the movie theatre, but on a positive note, these have (IMO) turned out to be the best Oceanview staterooms on M class ships.

What cabins were created(numbers)? We sail on the Summit in two weeks, and are staying on Deck 3.

What is the matter with watching the Super Bowl or Play-Off Game? I never see very many people at the pool after sunset, just a few drunks in the hot tubs! LOL:):):)

We were docked a couple of piers away from a ship (sorry, I don't remember the name, but I think it was Carnival) and the sound from their outdoor screen was obnoxiously loud, and did disturb those who just wanted a quiet place to read and relax on our ship. Seriously, you could hear every word spoken with absolute clarity, the sound was so loud. We have a cruise coming up on Summit, in an aft cabin, and I hope the sound of these movies does not disturb our sitting on our balcony at night. If it does, we will be down to guest relations or to the hotel director to have a chat.

We have cabin 1138 on the Summit booked for next January. Looks like the movie is directly above those aft cabins. Anyone know how the noise from the movie/deck chairs is for the rooms below?

We were in room 1122 and while you could not hear the movies in the room, you could hear them clearly on the balcony. I believe they showed movies 3 nights during our cruise.

Edited by emandjoe

Bad to loose the movie theatre, but on a positive note, these have (IMO) turned out to be the best Oceanview staterooms on M class ships.

What cabins were created(numbers)? We sail on the Summit in two weeks, and are staying on Deck 3.

Staterooms 3112-3144 on M class ships are the "new" oceanview staterooms.

These were created in what used to be a public area so they are much newer than the existing staterooms. They have very large round windows (almost floor to ceiling) and are in a very quiet location.

We had 3112 on Millennium and loved it.

There is a picture of one of these staterooms here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150638723905879&set=a.10150637763565879.448779.92998025878&type=3&theater

And quite a long thread discussing these staterooms here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1628023&highlight=oceanview+3112

We wouldn't hesitate to book one of these rooms again.

Seeing as the sun doesn't set until quite a bit later than it does during Caribbean sailing season, I have a difficult time seeing how they can show movies on deck, on Summit, until after 10pm, which is quite late to be starting a 2 hour or longer movie.

I'm with you on the movies...nothing like fresh ocean air and stars above watching a movie at sea. The old foggies are against it since they started making movies with sound.

My kids need to be tamed for a while unless they want them running the halls? The more things to do the better....

I could go either way on the movies, but I'll be happy that there won't be sports blasting away on the big screen all day as has happened on one cruise I was on. Must have been some sort of playoffs or something because they were showing it even at night when there were supposed to be movies (which they showed at the end of the cruise). Oddly I never saw more than a couple of people watching it at a time.

Seeing as the sun doesn't set until quite a bit later than it does during Caribbean sailing season, I have a difficult time seeing how they can show movies on deck, on Summit, until after 10pm, which is quite late to be starting a 2 hour or longer movie.

We were just off of the Summit. At least on our sailing, we were on the West side of Atlantic time. What that meant was that sunrise was very early and sunset was also very early. I wanted to say 5 something in the morning and 7 something in the evening.

We were just off of the Summit. At least on our sailing, we were on the West side of Atlantic time. What that meant was that sunrise was very early and sunset was also very early. I wanted to say 5 something in the morning and 7 something in the evening.

The sun sets a lot later for those cruising Summit in July and August, out of Bayonne.