7 mile beach question

Riley's Mom

Take the bus! Easier and cheaper! $2.50 pp. It will drop you anywhere you want...and pick you up, too! Just stand by the road...a bus will stop!

You don't need a "day pass"...all of the beaches are public! There are chair/umbrella rentals everywhere. Food/drink/restrooms are all along the beach.

We took a taxi to 7 mile beach and it was $4/person. Taxis are very easy to find at the ports. Please be aware though that unless you specifically ask to be taken to a public beach they will drop you off at some club where they charge you an entrance fee. Personally we were very disappointed. There were 2 other "mega ships" in port when we arrived and it was mobbed! We stayed about 10 minutes and left.

How busy would you say this place usually is? I'm not looking for a Senor Frog's atmosphere... :eek:

I have never seen a Senor Frog atmosphere at RP. Busy, that's hard to say. It depends on how many ships are in port. With just four beach clubs for all of 7 Mile Beach they all get crowded at times.

The "Public Beach" area at Seagrape seems to attract the least cruisers.

Take the bus! Easier and cheaper! $2.50 pp. It will drop you anywhere you want...and pick you up, too! Just stand by the road...a bus will stop!

You don't need a "day pass"...all of the beaches are public! There are chair/umbrella rentals everywhere. Food/drink/restrooms are all along the beach.

Thanks for your comments. I am not looking for a cheap way to do GC. I would like a uncrowded beach with facilities such as umbrellas, lounge chairs a bar, food etc. with a day pass, any suggestions. I would take a taxi rather than a bus.:):)

Cayman really doesn't do day passes of the type I think you mean. You will find an assortment of "beach clubs" all along Seven Mile Beach, with the facilities you're looking for. Most are free or have a minimal entry fee to use the facilities, and then chairs, umbrellas, food, drink, watersports, etc are all a la carte.

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

In order of distance (closest first) from the port area:

Royal Palms - http://royalpalmscayman.com/

- has an adults-only pool and rental beach cabanas

- doesn't do cruise ship excursions, has a $2pp entry fee

Calico Jacks/Public Beach - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- sometimes has excursions, no entry fee

Tiki Beach - http://www.tikibeachcayman.net/

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots

- most popular location for cruise excursions

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

bookbabe,

Thanks for the comprehensive response.:)

It looks like we will just grab a taxi at the port and go to Royal Palms. I think it will everything we need and shouldn't be too crowded.:)

Thanks again.

wow I was just gonna put a post in here about going to 7 mile beach somewhere and then BAM....I found this! perfect info and exactly the kinda stuff I was lookin for.

does anybody by chance know how far margaritaville is from royal palms? I gotta get in there again as it's the double decker one with a pool and water slide on top!

Thanks for your comments. I am not looking for a cheap way to do GC. I would like a uncrowded beach with facilities such as umbrellas, lounge chairs a bar, food etc. with a day pass, any suggestions. I would take a taxi rather than a bus.:):)

Hear you! Our last time in Grand Cayman, we went to Tiki Beach which worked out great for us. :)

http://tikibeachcayman.net

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Sorry, I've never been to Royal Palms so can't compare. :o

I think Royal Palms has a pool. Tiki does not.

Will say .... Tiki is LOTS less crowded and more relaxing than Calico Jack's where we normally had been in the past when we did a beach day at 7 Mile.

LuLu

Is Tiki Beach and Royal Palms close to each other?

I looked at the Tiki Beach website but it didn't say anything about

chair rental or entrance fee?

Is there bar service to the beach at Tiki?

Thank you.

I'm having the worst time this cruise trying to decide where to go.

Me and my 2 daughters want to relax in a beach chair on a beautiful stretch of beach with clear water and drink cocktails. With beach chairs

and umbrellas for shade.

Don't really care about a party atmosphere.

Tiki Beach or Royal Palms? Or somewhere else you can suggest.

I really appreciate your input.