RCL needs to move to Bayport

longhorn2004

With Princess and NCL less than yearly schedules, RCL should move to Bayport. Embarkation a week ago was a mess and an embarrassment to RCL. Forced to stand outside because of the building is not big enough to handle the crowds . Yes, they are expanding Terminal 2, but the whole environment there in 2 is that of a temporary shelter.

I know the Port of Galveston must be making it worth the while of RCL, but I imagine Bayport has to be rather desperate right now, and would be willing to deal. And I am sure Carnival would be happy to have Princess closer (rumor is they are coming to Galveston anyways).

No rumor on princess , they are coming to Galveston.

There is a contract in place with RCL with options up to eleven years and past base 2021 .

Also RCL under the contract can bring in a larger ship than Freedom Class and even a second RCL ship.

And the port with probability will have third terminal in Galveston.

And closer access to Gulf of Mexico is a major advantage for Galveston.

Edited by ssb

I can't see that happening. Access to Port of Galveston for the ships is so much easier than to Baytown. Baytown also doesn't have nearly enough parking.

The port on Galveston Bay is at Bayport on the western side of the bay. Baytown is a city on the northern side of Galveston Bay.

There is a contract in place with RCL with options up to eleven years and past base 2021 .

Also RCL under the contract can bring in a larger ship than Freedom Class and even a second RCL ship.

This is exciting news! It would be even more exciting if RCL would have some newer, longer itineraries.

Can you post a link to your source or sources? I would enjoy reading the complete article(s).

It also makes me wonder what will happen to the terminal now being used by Princess in Baytown.

The port on Galveston Bay is at Bayport on the western side of the bay. Baytown is a city on the northern side of Galveston Bay.

Doh!.......Thanks for the correction. Administrator, could you please fix the title of the thread to read Baytown and not Bayport.

Thank you.

Edited by longhorn2004

So in essence, RCL is locked into Galveston for a while. Terminal 2 is in serious need of an upgrade and not just expansion. However, I could see why the Port of Galveston would be hesitant to build a new terminal when the cruise companies are building newer state of the art terminals in other ports.

On the subject of a third terminal, do not see where they would build it, the room around terminals 1 and 2 is limited.

. ...

It also makes me wonder what will happen to the terminal now being used by Princess in Baytown.

It is BayPORT that Princess is using. Entirely different than Baytown.

Edited by NMLady

It is BayPORT that Princess is using. Entirely different than Baytown.

OH! Thanks for pointing that out! What will happen to the terminal in BAYPORT? Anyone have reliable news about that?

Edited by JimAOk1945

So in essence, RCL is locked into Galveston for a while. Terminal 2 is in serious need of an upgrade and not just expansion. However, I could see why the Port of Galveston would be hesitant to build a new terminal when the cruise companies are building newer state of the art terminals in other ports.

On the subject of a third terminal, do not see where they would build it, the room around terminals 1 and 2 is limited.

Port presently has already had ground breaking and started construction on around 15 million expansion and improvements at terminal 2 . And there are other locations on Galveston port channel

for a third terminal being considered .

OH! Thanks for pointing that out! What will happen to the terminal in BAYPORT? Anyone have reliable news about that?

It lay vacant for years after they built it,

It may revert to same , but I doubt it if they keep paying the cruise lines to sail from there.

Edited by ssb

I said Princess is coming, my mistake, Disney is coming!

If there is a rumor about Princess, I haven't heard it!

Edited by ssb

On the subject of a third terminal, I do not see where they would build it, the room around terminals 1 and 2 is limited.

I don't think RCL is "locked" into anything they don't want for themselves. With groundbreaking already begun I don't think it's fair to even complain about Terminal 2 any longer. It is just a matter of months now before the upgrades are completed. We already know it will be able to handle 5,000 passengers coming and going just like Terminal 1.

Regarding Terminal 3; It is most likely going to replace the grain elevator that is there now to the southwest. The vehicles already go by it to exit the terminal. It isn't difficult to see that entire area becoming part of the port system.

The port has had three ships docked there in the past but today the ships are longer than they have ever been so it is not possible to have three there now without expanding the docking area. But it wouldn't take much to lengthen the docking area so it can handle three large ships and then construct terminals to service them.

I just think a bit of patience is in order here. The wheels are turning and we can literally see progress being made.