Insurance query!!

c*r*u*I*s*e

Hi...myself and my wife are due to sail on Ventura around the Med on Sept 27th 2015.

Unfortunately I had a heart attack in March, the good news is, no further surgery is planned, recovery is going well, so can go ahead with cruise.

The question I have regards insurance!!......Does anyone have experience of a good Insurance Company and cost????

As of now £200 for the 13 days is the best I've come across (reasonable, but can I do better??)

Advice appreciated!!

Steve n wendy

Glad your recovery is going well. No experience regarding Heart attacks, but my husband has recently been diaginosed with a heart condition. I obtained annual cruise insurance (excluding USA) through Staysure, for £250. Our previous insurer had quoted £500.

Congrats on recovering, but I will say again.

A month or so ago across the forums there were people posting who had got cheap insurance and then things happened.

A stay in the medical centre on board ship will cost 100's if not 1000's..gets added to your account.

Tell any insurance company you have had a heart attack,you are going on a cruise,do they cover for hele evacuation from the ship.

Will not be cheap..but do you want peace of mind or not.

No insurance is a good deal if you are left high and dry and they argue with you about paying out.

My Mum has dozens of conditions and is 80. Weve used the quote comparison at:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/pre-existing-medical-conditions/

and last month used MIA online and got the cheapest quote.

The comparison site avoids having to fill in the same info dozens of times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and don't be fooled with the added extra called "cruise cover". This does not mean that you are covered for cruises. It means that you are covered if confined to your cabin with noro, and miss excursions etc. etc. It's not a necessary addition.

P and o have holiday extras recommended in the brochure so they must be worth a try!

We normally buy when final payment is due..... If you did have to cancel before that you would at most lose your deposit..... but they may allow you to change to a later cruise.

Edited by jenny wren

You can only go by your own experience and we had a good experience of Citybond Staysure a couple of years or so ago when my partner was diagnosed with cancer. They came up with a reasonable quote for annual Europe only including cruise. I also did not have any problems with them when we had to cancel cruises.

The price of the P&O insurance is way higher than some of the other ones. staysure, Insure&Go to mention a few.

Strangely Holiday Extras were the cheapest ( for my partner who has heart problems) when we did a search on a comparison site for our cruise to the Caribbean earlier this year. We were surprised to see them recommended by P and O in the brochure as we always assumed that their recommended company would be more expensive!! It really is worth trying as many companies as possible :)

I too had a heart attack shortly before a cruise., P and o were magnificent.,

Staysure were good and transferred my insurance to another cruise later on and guaranteed to cover me if I kept the original insurance in place, rather than a big pay out.

Mr. C*r*u*i*s*e* did you find it was a difficult thing to come to terms with.... but I read somewhere where "we were broke, but now we are mended" and probably better than we have been for donkeys years. Glad you are ok.

£200 sounds a good deal to me. I have had much higher quotes.

Enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread, very insightful

Have been told to go through the British Heart Foundation (BHF) ....there are roughly twenty Insurance companies, sympathetic to my condition, so hopefully one of those will be suitable.

Steve n wendy