Insurance, It Pays

ger_77

Tanya,

]We didn't write HAL's coverage. HAL's is not travel insurance as the best you can get is $10,000 for medical. As Ger_77 pointed out above, that was one day in a foreign hospital. What HAL offers is cancellation for any reason/trip interruption.

I purchase medical and evacuation coverage called Travel Max from Travel Ex Insurance Services. This policy suits my needs but anyone considering it should review it carefully to see if it meets their needs.

Before I went on Medicare (age 65), our usual insurance was a great policy and would pay anywhere in the world. Travel Ex now meets those needs as Primary Payer though I would have to lay out the payment and seek reimbursement.

Edited by sail7seas

It is the air ambulance to get you home that costs a fortune!

Yes.

Many cruisers carry additional policy from MedJetAssist.com.

You can buy it annually or for longer and for those with AARP, there is a discount.

To be flown home once stabilized can be hugely expensive.

A U.S. Coast Guard med-evac would cost you nothing, zero, zilch, nada. Your tax dollars at work!

HamOp, that darn bug you have as your avatar gets me every time. I find myself reaching for the screen to squash some bug then pull back yet again when I realize it's you......

We did not buy insurance in the early days when we took less expensive trips. We have good medical through Blue Cross so my main concern is needing to cancel due to illness. Since we have some chronic conditions we always make sure to get something that covers preexisting conditions. Look into that before you buy since there are guidelines -- like having to buy the policy within a very short time of the initial down payment.

I finally took the firm position that upon our return to the United States, I would contact my financial adviser, and he would wire the money to the Japanese hospital; otherwise, I would contact the American embassy and press for med-a-vac flight to the United States. QUOTE]

Just as a matter of interest, why did you feel that the US Government owed you a medivac flight if you did not have insurance for the flight? That is what is covered with insurance if you take out the proper insurance.

DON

HamOp, that darn bug you have as your avatar gets me every time. I find myself reaching for the screen to squash some bug then pull back yet again when I realize it's you......

But he's so cute, I just can't get rid of him.....

Please, I beg you, no bug spray on the monitor:D

Glad I'm not the only one.

Unless you can take a $100,000 bill without batting an eyelid, you need it.

I echo those sentiments - it cost us $10,000 for the short stay we had; I can't imagine what it would end up costing for something far more serious.

While we were in the hospital in Panama City, there was another couple who had been medically disembarked a week earlier and he was being released the same afternoon as DH. When I went in and spoke with them (he was on the telephone with the credit card company), his wife said they were on their 3rd call that week to get the credit limit extended and she didn't think their insurance would cover much, if any of the costs. My heart just sank for them.

I know some people choose not to purchase insurance, but I'm not comfortable traveling without it, so we will continue to do so in the future.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

We only insure for out of country medical/evac.

We have travelled extensively for many years. Like others, we have self insured and saved thousands of dollars. So far the only loss has been one prepaid, inexpensive hotel in Thailand.

We are very careful only to buy medical/evac insurance directly from the insurance company. That way we have absolute assurance that the premium has in fact been paid to the actual insurer. And it is usually much less expensive and more comprehensive than buying it through a TA, a bank, auto club, etc.

When we first arranged for travel insurance for my parents it was out TA that put us on to this. She essentially told us not to bother buying any insurance from/through her because of cost and coverage disadvantage. We realized how right she was when we shopped around!

Edited by iancal

Everyone should have medical insurance. I just don't need to buy extra travel insurance if my regular Aetna policy covers me already.

You want to see a high medical bill? Get hospitalized in the USA!!!

igraf

I echo those sentiments - it cost us $10,000 for the short stay we had; I can't imagine what it would end up costing for something far more serious.

While we were in the hospital in Panama City, there was another couple who had been medically disembarked a week earlier and he was being released the same afternoon as DH. When I went in and spoke with them (he was on the telephone with the credit card company), his wife said they were on their 3rd call that week to get the credit limit extended and she didn't think their insurance would cover much, if any of the costs. My heart just sank for them.

I know some people choose not to purchase insurance, but I'm not comfortable traveling without it, so we will continue to do so in the future.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

We usually buy the travel insurance from RCL which isn't too expensive, but is this insurance good enough?

Generally speaking, insurance purchased from a cruise line only covers the cost of the cruise plus some very basic medical. The big bucks are at risk of someone is faced with medical evacuation outside the USA. It is why we normally purchase from Travelex thru InsureMyTrip, and because of pre-existing conditions, I buy as soon as we book.

Generally speaking, insurance purchased from a cruise line only covers the cost of the cruise plus some very basic medical. The big bucks are at risk of someone is faced with medical evacuation outside the USA. It is why we normally purchase from Travelex thru InsureMyTrip, and because of pre-existing conditions, I buy as soon as we book.

We buy through Travelex as well - especially because of the medical evacuation.

We haven't had to use the medical part but last fall after final payment for our November Panama Canal cruise DH had what they thought was a mini-stroke. Cardiologist & Neurologist strongly advised DH not to take a cruise at the time and certainly not one that far from USA medical care. Within 2 weeks of Travelex receiving the paperwork we had a check back for the 90% refund that the contract stated.

We usually buy the travel insurance from RCL which isn't too expensive, but is this insurance good enough?

Seeing you are questioning, you should be asking RCI for a copy of exactly what is covered. Some cruise line policies are fine for cancellation and trip interruption but VERY low limit for medical costs. You have to do the research prior to filing a claim or you could have a most unpleasant surprise.

Actually, this is true of those who say their usual (work provided ?) medical insurance at home is a great policy so no need for them to purchase travel insurance for medical coverage. I strong suggest you VERIFY every time that policy renews to be sure you know exactly what is still included in your coverage and what has changed. MANY work provided policies changed and what used to be covered no longer is. CHECK it. It is too important to assume you know.

I did. I am covered. The main reason for travel medical insurance is for people with the government health programs that specifically exclude coverage in foreign locations.

A huge variable is the cruise itself. For example, one is never more than a day away from a friendly port on a New England or Alaskan cruise. I don't see much reason for concern on these cruises, certainly no more than say driving to Yellowstone or flying to Hawaii.

igraf

...Actually, this is true of those who say their usual (work provided ?) medical insurance at home is a great policy so no need for them to purchase travel insurance for medical coverage. I strong suggest you VERIFY every time that policy renews to be sure you know exactly what is still included in your coverage and what has changed. MANY work provided policies changed and what used to be covered no longer is. CHECK it. It is too important to assume you know.

Actually I wasn't intending my post to You specifically. It was rather in general. Your policy may be wonderful but not everyone's is. Some people think their policy pays out of country and it could be an awful surprise to learn it doesn't.

As to 'friendly port' on a Canada/NE cruise, Medicare does not pay for care in Canada. Should one have a stroke or heart attack or whatever, they may not be fit to be moved for some number of days and those hospital costs add up fast until they can be returned to U.S. Then if sadly they do not survive to return to U.S., repatriation of the remains can be very costly.

My comments are merely a heads up for those who care to pay attention to understanding exactly what their individual insurance covers and more importantly does not cover. No one need pay it a bit of attention if they are satisfied they are 'all set'. :)

I'll just say that my late DH was the picture of good health and heartiness...... and then suddenly he was not. He rarely had so much as a cold or flu.

Wishing healty, safe travel to all.

Edited by sail7seas

You are absolutely correct. We live in Canada and travel often.

We have shopped for medical/evac insurance just about every year for the past five. We have found a big difference between policies. Price is not a good indicator of coverage-amounts or terms. It really does pay to understand and compare.

Our experience is that the easier it is to obtain insurance, ie through the bank, auto club, TA's etc. the more expensive they are (and very often less comprehensive or lower dollar coverage) compared to many other policies that are sourced directly from the insurer.

It is a bit too late to read or understand your policy after you have had an unfortunate incident leading to a potential claim.

You need to keep in mind that insurance companies like collecting premiums. They are somewhat adverse to paying out so they often word their policies accordingly.

Edited by iancal