Looking for specific dress code recommendations for a Baltic cruise on Serenade

I am travelling on a Baltic Cruise on the Serenade this summer, with several friends who have never cruised before. They would like specific recommendations on what to pack for dinner in Reflections and specialty restaurants. They are respectful folks, and want to fit in, but don't want to be overdressed and I'm guessing the men want to know if a jacket and tie is really necessary for smart casual and formal nights.

I know what the dress code is on the RCCL website, but wonder what the reality is likely to be on the Serenade in the Baltic. I know that Brits and Europeans tend to take the suggested dress code more seriously than North Americans do.

I want to give our friends good information about what the reality of dress is likely to be for smart casual and formal nights.

I know there are tons of threads on this topic, but I really don't have time to go through them all. I appreciate any help from anyone who has cruised in the Baltic in the last year or so.

I am travelling on a Baltic Cruise on the Serenade this summer, with several friends who have never cruised before. They would like specific recommendations on what to pack for dinner in Reflections and specialty restaurants. They are respectful folks, and want to fit in, but don't want to be overdressed and I'm guessing the men want to know if a jacket and tie is really necessary for smart casual and formal nights.

I know what the dress code is on the RCCL website, but wonder what the reality is likely to be on the Serenade in the Baltic. I know that Brits and Europeans tend to take the suggested dress code more seriously than North Americans do.

I want to give our friends good information about what the reality of dress is likely to be for smart casual and formal nights.

I know there are tons of threads on this topic, but I really don't have time to go through them all. I appreciate any help from anyone who has cruised in the Baltic in the last year or so.

I have cruised the Baltics with RCI and a tie/jacket isn't necessary or required regardless if it's formal night or not..shirt and slacks are all that will be needed and that is what my DH (along with most cruiser's) did and never felt under dressed. Enjoy this amazing itinerary.

Leave the jacket/tie home and save the room/weight in your luggage for the souvenier's.

I just reread my post and thought that maybe my last comment was a little annoying, and made me sound as if I was just too lazy to look up the dress codes for myself. :rolleyes: What I meant to say was, I was looking for specific information about dress recommendations for cruising in the Baltic. After doing quite a bit of searching of dress code threads, I just couldn't find anything on the Baltic specifically. I thought perhaps that posting a specific request concerning the Baltic would give me a sense of what is appropriate dress for dinner in Reflections, or in the specialty restaurants, when cruising on the Serenade in Northern Europe. It's been quite a while since I cruised on RCCL and I don't know how far actual dinner dress has departed from what is recommended on the RCCL website.

I have cruised the Baltics with RCI and a tie/jacket isn't necessary or required regardless if it's formal night or not..shirt and slacks are all that will be needed and that is what my DH (along with most cruiser's) did and never felt under dressed. Enjoy this amazing itinerary.

Leave the jacket/tie home and save the room/weight in your luggage for the souvenier's.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

On formal nights, what did people usually wear in:

(a) the specialty restaurants and

(b) the theatre?

Thanks.

I was surprised to see this in the cruise docs. Celebrity has done away with it.

My husband will bring a suit for formal nights but would rather not bring a jacket also.

( there was other dated info in doc so hope this has changed as well).

I was surprised to see this in the cruise docs. Celebrity has done away with it.

My husband will bring a suit for formal nights but would rather not bring a jacket also.

In the MDR not really, but specialty restaurants are smart casual every night. DH usually wears a checked shirt, khakis/dockers type trousers and a blazer or sports coat. You won't be turned away though as long as you're not in shorts.

I have a hard time seeing any difference in the way people dress on a casual vs. smart casual night.

Actually the term "Smart Casual" has changed. It was, once, sport coat and tie. That night is no longer. "Smart Casual" is now what used to be "casual." It's collared shirt and long pants for men. If you look on the website under FAQ it has the up to date dress suggestions. Here is a copy and paste of the up to date dress code:

"Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)"

Beat with stick if wear jeans in MDR on casual nights?

No, you will not be "beat with a stick" if you wear jeans in the MDR on casual/smart casual nights. :D Jeans are not prohibited in the required/suggested dress codes, there will be other people wearing them.

Sherri:)

We were on the Vision in the Baltics. A number of cruisers did not even bring a jacket in Europe. But, you could certainly fit in just fine with 1 jacket and no suit. Such as a navy blazer, or an olive or tweed jacket, then pair with darker grey slacks and then khakis. The same jacket could be wore over jeans for touring in town. European men tend to wear nice jeans with leather shoes for day wear vs. beige khakis. DH now takes a pair of olive green khakis. Or, if they take a suit, just wear the same suit for the more formal nights with different shirts. DH has never brought both a suit and extra jacket on 4 different cruise on 4 different cruiselines in Europe and has never been under-dressed.

Edited by elaine5

My response is not about the formal wear as most of the folks have hit it right. But having spent two summers in the Baltic, I recommend bringing a (or several) light sweaters and shawl or shrug for the women, as it gets pretty cool in the evening, even at the height of summer.