Evacuation Insurance for Scan. & Russian Trip

Tx. Original

Need to get insurance for our upcoming, Celebrity Silhouette, May 28th, Scandinavia & Russia Cruise. I have used Allianz several years ago; & just got a letter from United Airlines in regard to a new offer from them for another insurance.

My husband and I have insurance that will reimburse us for typical insurance claims, but want to get an insurance plan, that will pay to evacuate us, just in case, of a major problem.

Any suggestions?

All responses welcome. Thank you.

.... want to get an insurance plan, that will pay to evacuate us, just in case, of a major problem. ...
MedJet will help if your 'major problem' causes you to end up in a hospital. Other major problems, not so much. Is there anything specific you need covered?

No problems at this time...but, on previous cruises, we met people on board, who had had an accident, or broken a leg. Just thought we should have a "back up plan", just in case one of us got really sick. Maybe I've just read too many horror stories in "ITN ",("International Travel News").

United Airlines, through Mileage Plus, just sent me something about Emergency Assistance...has anyone purchased this? (you also get 1,000 Mileage Plus bonus award miles when you enroll).

Thanks for all the "Cruise Critic" help.

Susan

You have several options, but which fits best depends on your particular needs.

1 Med Jet, which is not insurance, but a membership group for evacuation if hospitalized. As noted above, it does not work if you just break a leg and are not admitted to the hospital.

2. Most regular travel insurance covers evacuation under the medical portion. If you do not need the cancellation or interruption insurance, the medical portion is very reasonably priced. Simply use $1 for your trip cost, but do be fully aware that this limits your cancellation and interruption coverage to just $1. In this situation, medical covers accidents or illness that occur while on the trip, but not loss of the trip/tour days.

3. If your other insurance covers medical overseas, check to see if international evacuation is also included.

4. Some credit card coverages are good, some are severely limited. What is your credit card policy limit for cancellation limit, interruption limit, medical limit?

As for the offer from United, go to the website, click on plan policy, or description of coverage or whatever the actual document is, and read the fine print. That is the only way to know what the coverage includes. Do. To rely on the plan summary or chart in a brochure.

Thank you so much for all the information.

I have been checking out several of the main insurance companies, for travelling overseas: Med Jet Assist, On Call International, Allianz, Travel Guard, and the new one sent to me through my One Pass A/C at United Airlines.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Susan

Tx. Original (on Cruise Critic)

One thing about most medivac insurance is that they require the treating physician to certify that you can't get adequate treatment locally. Further, the insurance may only cover evacuating you to the nearest adequate facility, or it may cover evacuation to home. Read the fine print.

MedJetAssist will get you to a hospital of your choice. MedJet will only deal with transportation - they will not pay medial bills. Read the fine print.

Most TravelSafe plans and some other companies include the following (up to $25,000):

"NON-MEDICAL EMERGENCY EVACUATION BENEFITS

All reasonable expenses incurred for Your transportation to the nearest place

of safety, or to Your home, are covered, up to a maximum of $25,000, if You

must leave Your Trip for a Covered Reason.

Evacuation must occur within 10 days of any covered event. Arrangements

will be by the most appropriate and economical means available and

consistent with Your health and safety. Benefits are only payable for

arrangements made by One Call Worldwide Travel Services Network, Inc.

Covered Reasons: We will pay for the Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation

Benefits listed above if, while on Your Trip, a formal recommendation from the

appropriate local authorities, or the U.S. State Department, is issued for You

to leave a country You are visiting on Your Trip due to: 1) a natural disaster; 2)

civil, military or political unrest; or 3) Your being expelled or declared a persona

non-grata by a country You are visiting on Your Trip."

Don't know how much help they can actually render in a case like Nepal but much better than nothing. If the airports are still running at least they'd cover the cost of a last-minute, one-way air ticket home if necessary.

Thank you so much for all the information.

I have been checking out several of the main insurance companies, for travelling overseas: Med Jet Assist, On Call International, Allianz, Travel Guard, and the new one sent to me through my One Pass A/C at United Airlines.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Susan

Tx. Original (on Cruise Critic)

MedJet is not insurance. It is just transportation. Good to have but you still need insurance. Re Medjet - if you are a senior, AARP will give you a discount on Medjet.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

The big difference between MedJet and (most of) the other insurance companies/policies is that if you are in a hospital more than 150 miles from home, you can request MedJet to fly you to the home hospital of your choice and the only requirement is that the hospital you are in agrees that you are medically stable enough to be flown out.

Other policy's fine print talks about the hospital you are in having to agree that they can't' provide the medical care you need. If they think they can...even if it's not up to the care you know you could get at home, they will tell the insurance company they can treat you and you are stuck there.

There is a VERY big difference between MedJet and the others...and it can get you to good medical care.

Highly recommended that if you travel, you carry a MedJet policy with or without other travel insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
MedJet will help if your 'major problem' causes you to end up in a hospital. Other major problems, not so much. Is there anything specific you need covered?

Hi CantanaLobo,

MedJet is good, but it's not an insurance plan, so it doesn’t pay medical bills prior to to the transport. MedJet just pays the transport and related costs including medical expenses during the transport. Travel insurance pays medical costs prior to to the transport.

Someone can use MedjetAssist for the medical transport plus have a travel insurance plan for all its extra coverages including medical treatment prior to being transported. This is important because if they have a serious medical condition and are unable to be transported immediately because you are not stable, they will need to be sure those medical bills are covered.

I hope this makes sense.