Ship officers and staff

OctoberKat

JMariner, thank you! I posted that message just before I went up to bed last night, which possibly wasn't the brightest of things to do! So sorry for not even thinking about the privacy settings. I've since gone back and set it as public and thank you too for posting the more efficient link. Hadn't thought of doing it like that - I simply couldn't contemplate posting the enormous one generated by google and took my usual action.

I think I've now set it as public...if not, please let me know and I'll take a different route. You'll gather, I don't use google+ often.

Thank you for figuring that out. You definitely are a computer "guru" :)

Interesting line-up. There are three Oceania transplants on the list (at least three that I know of) . We have sailed with Andreas and Massimo (G.M's) previously. Andreas has the potential to be a top G.M. - great personality, mingles with the guests, easy to talk to. Have heard very good things about Margaret Scoggins -- hope to sail with her in the future.

Journeyfan, the listing was published in the magazine Regent UK produces for their clients. The Editor's letter suggests the next issue will be distributed in September/October which is probably too late for your needs, unfortunately.

Yes, Gilly, the Sept/Oct issue might be too late for our needs. But it not, I'm not sure how we in the US would be able to access your newsletter. How strange that you Brits have access to information about Regent that we in the US lack.

I am a bit late in posting on this thread, as we are aboard Crystal Symphony and have had limited internet access until we left Japanese waters. In any event, I agree with the posters who have expressed little interest in knowing who the officers on a particular cruise will be, aside from harboring a firm hope that the navigational officers know how to steer the ship.

My partner & I do not accept invitations to dine at officers' tables; our TA includes that notation in our booking information. We have found in the past that such dinners are usually moderately to highly dull, with far too much smiling required both by us and by the officer at the head of the table. Yikes!!

As for the "Cult of Captain Dag", we are among the apparent minority who found that particular skipper to be enormously overrated (except in his own mind).

Like many who post on this board, we are exploring other options to Regent, including Crystal and Seabourn, as we are no longer convinced that Regent offers good value for the substantial tariffs. Unlike certain others who post on this board and on other boards, we do not consider it necessary to point out in every second post the level of cabin/suite that we book. Perhaps it might be prudent for the various "Kat's" and "Cat's" to weigh the possibility that their regular reminders of suite level might diminish the credibility of their posts, in view of the fact that such declarations are not common when actually on board luxury vessels, in our experience. Okay, my school marm speech here endeth.

I am a bit late in posting on this thread, as we are aboard Crystal Symphony and have had limited internet access until we left Japanese waters. In any event, I agree with the posters who have expressed little interest in knowing who the officers on a particular cruise will be, aside from harboring a firm hope that the navigational officers know how to steer the ship.

My partner & I do not accept invitations to dine at officers' tables; our TA includes that notation in our booking information. We have found in the past that such dinners are usually moderately to highly dull, with far too much smiling required both by us and by the officer at the head of the table. Yikes!!

As for the "Cult of Captain Dag", we are among the apparent minority who found that particular skipper to be enormously overrated (except in his own mind).

Like many who post on this board, we are exploring other options to Regent, including Crystal and Seabourn, as we are no longer convinced that Regent offers good value for the substantial tariffs. Unlike certain others who post on this board and on other boards, we do not consider it necessary to point out in every second post the level of cabin/suite that we book. Perhaps it might be prudent for the various "Kat's" and "Cat's" to weigh the possibility that their regular reminders of suite level might diminish the credibility of their posts, in view of the fact that such declarations are not common when actually on board luxury vessels, in our experience. Okay, my school marm speech here endeth.

But if you look closer, the Kats and Cats etc are all different. OctoberKat , new to cruising and Regent is a high level suite user, but declared she is not too interested in dining with captains and knowing exactly who is who among officers. She just wants a big suite for space, not for prestige or bragging rights.

TRavelcat2 is a big Regent fan who is also a high level suite user who is the opposite, and does like to know who's who and available to dine with amongst officers and other important staff.

As for me, Catlover54, and I can likely speak for myself and some other meowers,

I am generally not a highest level suite user (some exceptions) and do not care for the idea of dining with unknown officers, but I sure would like to be able to secure the kind of extra service touches that the "in" crowd gets in their suites and in the dining room, where it counts, with or without tipping, direct or indirect. As our introduction to Regent made clear we are not amongst The Chosen for service, so it would take a lot to get us back (not impossible)

Am I in the minority's here? I don't particularly want to make friends with staff or passengers when I cruise. Having a nice social experience is great but does not make or break the cruise for us. The regular suites are big enough. I don't want to be "besties" with the cruise director, captain, or GM, and, in fact, if I didn't see them the entire cruise, I don't think I'd be offended. We cruise on Regent because we have a wonderful time with each other and we don't have to sweat the details of an ever expending end-of-cruise bill, booking our own excursions (and getting back to the ship on time), and ordering a daily bottle of champagne.

We have completed three Regent cruises and have two more booked. I have never seen anyone get any "special treatment" other than high maintenance passengers getting "handled" with obsequious deference.

Forgap - I don't think you (or I) are in the minority of Regent cruisers at all. I have no desire to be (or make) "best friends" with any of the staff/officers I might ever meet on a cruise ship. The same applies for anyone who happens to draw the "short straw" to be my waiter in a restaurant.

If we meet or have any interaction with these people, I will be polite to them and I simply expect them to be the same back to me. But that is pretty much were things "stop". For them (officers, crew, etc.), this is their place of employment. Their job is to see to it that promised services/product are delivered to me in a safe, efficient, prompt, courteous manner. I don't think their job description includes "becoming my best friend", or pretending to do so.

I think that CC posters form an extremely small sub-set of the total Regent passenger group. In fact when I do get into a passing/brief meet & greet with fellow passengers, I often ask them if they read Cruise Critic. The vast majority, at least 9 out of 10 say they've "never heard of CC". And after my (4th) upcoming cruise on Navigator, I have absolutely no idea whether I'll ever sail on a Regent (or any other cruise) again. I take these cruises one at a time, and as finances and other commitments allow. I certainly don't own the apparent "gold mine or oil well" that some of the other folks on this board apparently do! :p And even if I did, I'm not too sure I'd spend it on cruising.

Like you (along with OctoberKat and others), DW and myself board a Regent cruise without any intention, purpose, or expectation of getting to know the Captain, CD, F&B Manager, or any of the waiters or cabin staff. The furthest thing from our minds is to become "friends" with any of the crew or get to know their names, home towns, or names of all their kids. We really don't care (I guess that makes us horrible people :eek:) and I assume the staff really don't have time to waste (or interest in) finding out those details about us, either.

We just want everyone to perform their respective jobs in a safe, efficient, correct, and prompt manner. If that is accomplished, we'll feel completely satisfied. And we don't waste time or thought (in our estimation) looking at the quality of fabrics/carpet on the ship, comparing one bar stool to the next, scrutinizing artwork that might be hanging on the wall, or counting how many people are on any particular excursion bus. I just want my cabin to be clean, the mini-bar well stocked, my food hot/flavorful and served promptly, and with no rowdy/misbehaving passengers on board. These should all be things that Regent can "guarantee me" for the prices they're charging. Best Regards

My "cattiness" has nothing to do with felines, while I am an animal lover - and dog owner, my Kat has been around since the beginning of the stone age of Prodigy and Compuserve as I am a Chatty Kathy - my real name as many of you know.

Freddie, I await your report on Crystal since that is on our travel manifest for later this year.

Catlover54: Appreciated and agreed with part of your post. Although we do not typically stay in the "higher suites" (unless we do an upsell), we appreciate them. The only time I talk about suites is when we are able to get an upsell (or in the case of Oceania when we obtained a large suite for the cost of a lower suite on Regent). As long time CC posters know, we are very happy with PH suites (which, IMO, are "mid level" suites) and this is the level that we typically book.

Freddie: You haven't visited the Regent board in a while. You should understand the "suite" situation as you both were as happy as we were when we both received the opportunity to upsell to a Master Suite on the Voyager. Unfortunately, those upsells are becoming more difficult to find as the ships are running quite full.

There are many passengers that enjoy speaking with the staff.. When you start a conversation with them, they open up like flowers. Think about this for a moment. If you are a regular at a restaurant, for instance, and you are greeted with big smiles, it could be phony or they could be happy to see you. Do you ask how their day or week has been or do you decide that you do not want to interact with the staff? It isn't any different on a cruise ship (except that they do not see their families for months at a time). I cannot even imagine thinking that they do not enjoy a bit of interaction with the guests. They obviously have a job to do and they take that seriously. However, there is always time for brief conversations. On the other hand, if the crew is of no interest to you, that isn't a problem either. To each his/her own.

In terms of high maintenance passengers, there definitely are some. And, from what I have observed, they aren't the passengers that are friendly with the staff. It is quite the opposite. Passengers like myself are pretty laid back and understand when CR becomes so busy that service slows down. If it takes 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 hours to dine - it is no big deal. Some passengers, however, practically go ballistic. Their attitude is "I paid $$$$$ for this cruise and am going to get 6 star service no matter what (no matter what could mean that 400 other guests just entered CR at the same you did but you are more important than the rest of the guests. High maintenance guests seem to have a goal while on board - to find fault with something. There is a big difference between high maintenance guests and guests that have sailed with the crew before and are happy to see them. Keep in mind that when you return to a Regent ship, you are many times greeted with a "Welcome Home". And, Regent tries to instill the feeling of "family" in both their guests and staff.

It is pretty obvious - even on this thread -- that there is quite a bit of interest on learning who the senior officers will be on "their" cruise. This question is asked repeatedly.

This may be off topic, but I am a noobie and going on 1st cruise ever this May on Navigator. It was posted that dinner in CR. Can't Compass Rose I am guessing can take 2 hours. Yikes...

What is best time to dine to cut that they me down? Thank you in advance.

You certainly don't have to become BFF's with the staff to show some caring. Like TC said, a lot of them don't see their families for months on end, if you show you truly care, some will show pictures of their children. They love their children enough to leave for months in order to provide a better life for them. If you are on several cruises and they are on those cruises, they will remember you and greet you. It takes no effort at all to be kind to people who are working long hours to make sure we cruise in great comfort.

This may be off topic, but I am a noobie and going on 1st cruise ever this May on Navigator. It was posted that dinner in CR. Can't Compass Rose I am guessing can take 2 hours. Yikes...

The least busy time in Compass Rose is when they open at 6:30 p.m. If you want to dine more quickly, I would let my server know and place your orders as soon as possible. This way, while other passengers are arriving and getting settled, your meals are being prepared and served.

As I have mentioned previously, the nights of the Captain's Reception (usually the 2nd night), the Seven Seas Society cocktail party and Captain's Farewell are particularly busy in CR because when the event is over, about 300-400 people head towards CR at the same time. Although the menu in CR is a bit more special on those nights, you could book a reservation in Prime 7 on one of the nights and perhaps go to Sette Mari on another (arriving early).

Enjoy your Navigator cruise:)

Yes, sometimes, rarely, it can slog along for that long. But that usually happens if you are at a hosted table on a "formal" night like the Captains dinner.

Ways to shorten dinner times:

1. If you want to get in and out go earlier. The crowd hits about 7:15-7:30 so the closer to opening time 6:30 you arrive, the faster you can get out.
  2. Sit at a smaller table. The less people the less chance the server will have to wait to serve for someone to finish a course before serving the next one.
  3. Tell the server that you do not like long dinners. He will move things along.
  4. Consistently sit with the same waiter. After a day or two he will know your routine.
  5. Sitting nearer the kitchen can help a little in the service time. But it can also be nosier.

I love the Navigator, you will too. Don't get hung up on these perceived problems. They don't happen often. On some nights we enjoy a large group and have fun siting and talking till they kick us out. Have fun.

j

Heh, smiling indeed.

Indeed it's true I don't know who is the GM at most hotels/resorts although often I get nice notes from same in my suite (and I do mean suite). Unless I have an issue, I've no cause to chat; should I run into staff I like to smile and say how pleased I am, if I am.

At smaller properties, it is common to meet the GM and that's fine. But a Regent cruise ship is 500 or more guests and that's a lot of ballast.

This summer we return to Le Bristol in Paris for nine days but I don't expect to meet the GM other than serendipitously. Twin Farms, on the other hand, hosts only several dozen guests at a time so the GM is ubiquitous.

As for not being cut out for cruising, that's been settled, we love it. What we're not cut out for, apparently, is schmoozing.

Thank you for speaking up!!!! I love to cruise and have cruised high price point and lower price point, depending on the budget of those traveling with us.. Some of the posts I have seen on Regent make it sound as if some of these good folks are to good for most of us.

I love to cruise and fortunately for me so does my family. We have had the opportunity to sail the world together making memories. This and meeting wonderful new people is what truly matters to us. Not how many Regent cruises, name dropping staff or belittling the comments or questions of others!

Cruise on OctoberKat - I hope to meet you on one of my cruises be it Regent or another fabulous cruise line :)

Thank you for speaking up!!!! I love to cruise and have cruised high price point and lower price point, depending on the budget of those traveling with us.. Some of the posts I have seen on Regent make it sound as if some of these good folks are to good for most of us.

I love to cruise and fortunately for me so does my family. We have had the opportunity to sail the world together making memories. This and meeting wonderful new people is what truly matters to us. Not how many Regent cruises, name dropping staff or belittling the comments or questions of others!

Cruise on OctoberKat - I hope to meet you on one of my cruises be it Regent or another fabulous cruise line :)

Not sure if you have cruised Regent before or not, however, most Cruise Critic posters are nothing whatsoever as they appear on the boards. For instance, responses of regulars depend upon the questions being posed to them. When someone new to Regent asks a question, we don't answer with what size suite we like, what wine we like or what crew members we know. Our goal is to answer the question to the best of our ability.

On the other hand, the same "regulars" have been cruising for a long time - some of us have met each other and many have met the officers and staff on the Regent ships. We have been "talking" about our cruises - which officers are on board, etc. for years. It isn't about name dropping. Rather, it is a genuine interest. As I mentioned previously, "conversations" on all the CC boards that I read are similar - interest in the officers, etc. Having some posters upset by this seems to be unique to the Regent board.

P.S. We have never been asked what type of suite we are in while onboard a ship (nor have we asked anyone what suite they are in). Quite simply.... on Regent, it doesn't matter -- everyone is treated the same once they step outside of their suite (as it should be IMO). We have stayed in the smallest and largest suites (due to upsells) -- we enjoy our cruises and the suite doesn't change that (unless it is below the pool or "bridge" :-)

Edited by Travelcat2

........ Quite simply.... on Regent, it doesn't matter -- everyone is treated the same once they step outside of their suite .......

I have sailed on a lot of cruises and on a lot of cruise lines and in my observation and opinion that is just not my reality. I am not here to argue, if that is the way you see it.

If one is booked in a top tier suite, you get special treatment. Everyone from the Captain on down knows your name. The staff have special meeting everyday about you, particularity if you have made any complaints. If you want to just pop into P7 or Signature almost always your butler will arrange it. You want a dinner party in your suite dinning room for you and your friends from the P7 menu, it will happen. And the chef will come up and check on you. You get special treatment in every department.

From the other passengers point of view this may or may not be what they see. Some of the "Top Tier" guest are flaunter or humblebragger about their status. Most are not. I guess it may be a time and place thing. If you are around long enough, or are unlucky, you see it. It is much more apparent on the longer multi-segment voyages like world cruises. Less so on shorter voyager say less than 14 days.

The same is true, but on a much lesser degree if you are a top tier loyalty member.

All top end travel and leisure companies coddle their top client. And this is how it should be. The top tier money makers for any business deserve and receive special treatment. Too say this isn't so, just isn't so so.

j

JMARINER Not saying it does not happen -- just saying that we have not seen it. There have not been world cruises for a few years now and I do remember reading about special events for people doing the entire world cruise. I also recall posts about cliques amongst the world guests including comments about "segmenters" being excluded. For this reason, we avoided segments of world cruises (and would do so in the future if the world cruises resume in 2017).

As has been my opinion "forever", being in a upper suite or on a world cruise does not make a person better than someone in the lowest suite taking a 7 night cruise. I have little tolerance for elitists (as has been demonstrated by many of my posts). On the other hand, I understand that people that are on board for months at a time get closer to the crew. This is human nature rather than elitism. (Again, just my opinion). It is sort of the same as many of us that know the crew simply because we have sailed with them for so many days/months/years.

Unless I am missing something here, my impression is that nobody on this board believes that people occupying the higher cabins are any better than anybody else, but some of the people in those cabins seem to think so in a roundabout way.

Unless I am missing something here, my impression is that nobody on this board believes that people occupying the higher cabins are any better than anybody else, but some of the people in those cabins seem to think so in a roundabout way.

+1...and most of us really do not care !

And, some of those who occupy the higher cabins and schmooze with the staff and executives post that they are any better yet other posts by them tell the exact opposite story.

+1...and most of us really do not care !

I do care either but obviously a lot of you or this thread do, or it would not keep going on and on and on.

There is always going to be more benefits in booking a higher suite. Even category "E" (which is a normal suite) gets more benefits than someone in a category "F" (same size as "E" but better positioned).

Certainly people that have traveled with the same crew before are not "better" - they have simply cruised with Regent more times and therefore may be welcomed a bit more warmly than passengers that the crew are just meeting.

P.S. rallydave: Fortunately (or some see it as unfortunately), men and women often see things differently. Therefore, depending how a question is asked, my response may sound different. Also, some women change their minds more than others. While I generally do not fall into the latter category, based on someone's input, it may change the way I feel about a subject. Therefore, while my comments about "upper suites" may confuse some people, I have stated many times over the past several years that I strongly believe in all passengers being treated the same outside of their suite.

Edited by Travelcat2