Tips & Tricks for First Time Cruiser Ever; Traveling on Dawn

Relax Cruiser

Dorhead1230, your review of the Dawn was one of the best I've ever read!!

DH, DD, and 3 friends are going on the Dawn to Bemuda, In two weeks, even though your review was from 2013, it was do detailed, and informative, Thanks so much !

Thanks so much :o. I really appreciate that. I am glad that it helped you out. Enjoy your cruise and enjoy Bermuda! :D It is one of my favorite places and I am so excited to return there in July!

I did a cruise to Canada from Boston, as well. You will LOVE Bermuda. It's so beautiful, and it's wonderful being docked overnight and not having to worry about making it back to the ship before a certain time. I emailed you the info. Let me know if you have didn't receive it or if you have any questions.

Yes, I did receive it!! Thank you so much. I can NOT wait to go!!! :)

Hi, firsttime_cruiser2015!

I'm fairly new to cruising myself. I just booked my sixth cruise! I went on the Dawn to Bermuda last August and loved it. I have a tendency to really research my cruises--both the ship and destination, so I compiled quite a bit of information for that cruise. I would be happy to share it with you. If you have an email address, I could send it to you. I have a Word document with Internet links, a map, etc. that I could email to you. Keep in mind, though, that some information may be dated since my cruise was last year. :)

Jenesaisquoi, I would love to have that word doc. also

send to; petron.m6452@sbcglobal.net

Thanks so much!

Yes, it is on its way to you now! Have a fabulous trip! :)

Thank you for your email, Jenesaisquoi. That is extensive research! A lot of people tell me to just relax while on holiday and go with the flow, but I'm like you and like to do a lot of planning.

We did this cruise last July and we enjoyed Bermuda very much.

I would recommend making some reservations for one of the MDRs before you leave. There really isn't anywhere to wait outside the dining rooms when you use anytime dinning. We walked by many angry people because they had no idea you could make reservations in the Venetian and the Aqua.

Also, take the ferry to Hamilton, it's pretty cheap and quick. We did that and then used a bus to get from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach and back to the Dockyards. The buses were an experience not to be missed.

Thank you for your email, Jenesaisquoi. That is extensive research! A lot of people tell me to just relax while on holiday and go with the flow, but I'm like you and like to do a lot of planning.

I like doing the research and anticipating the trip plus the planning helps me be able to relax and enjoy my cruise more. It also allows me to not miss out on anything and to avoid problems. For example, last year while we were standing in line waiting to re-board the Dawn, I got to talking to an older couple (not that I'm exactly young myself), and I asked them what they had done the last two days. They told me that the previous day they had gone to St. George. Unfortunately, it was on a Sunday when very little was open, and they felt their day trip was wasted. Because of my research, I had scheduled my trip to St. George for Monday when all of the stores were open and the activities were taking place. Thank you, Cruise Critic! The couple told me their son arranged the trip but was unaware that St. George is basically shut down on Sundays. I felt bad for them.

My research also let me know about a cheap ($5) tour of St. George that gave a very good overview of the history of the town. It was only given one time a day, and we had to make the first ferry to town to be there in time for the tour. Without prior planning, we would have missed out on the tour. Afterwards, we went to see the dunking of the wench, which our tour guide participated in as a separate (free) event. DH is a go with the flow kind of guy, and he lets me do all the planning, but he has admitted that we get opportunities to do things on our cruises that we might miss without my OCD tendencies. lol Anticipation is half the fun of the cruise! :D

Not sure about the upgrade thing but I booked a cruise last week and the only room in my category (aft) they had available was deck 14 which I took but was absolutely not where I wanted to be (right below the action and much smaller balcony). I kept looking at the available rooms each day after I booked and today an aft room on the deck I wanted became available so my TA switched my room.

So I guess my advice would be maybe you can move to a better room in your same category if you keep your eye out. If that is your not 100% satisfied as to the place your room is.

Hi, firsttime_cruiser2015!

I'm fairly new to cruising myself. I just booked my sixth cruise! I went on the Dawn to Bermuda last August and loved it. I have a tendency to really research my cruises--both the ship and destination, so I compiled quite a bit of information for that cruise. I would be happy to share it with you. If you have an email address, I could send it to you. I have a Word document with Internet links, a map, etc. that I could email to you. Keep in mind, though, that some information may be dated since my cruise was last year. :)

Would love to see what you compiled as well at maxima19902006@yahoo.com.

Thanks,