Tips & Tricks for First Time Cruiser Ever; Traveling on Dawn

Relax Cruiser

Hi, firsttime_cruiser2015!

I'm fairly new to cruising myself. I just booked my sixth cruise! I went on the Dawn to Bermuda last August and loved it. I have a tendency to really research my cruises--both the ship and destination, so I compiled quite a bit of information for that cruise. I would be happy to share it with you. If you have an email address, I could send it to you. I have a Word document with Internet links, a map, etc. that I could email to you. Keep in mind, though, that some information may be dated since my cruise was last year. :)

I'd love a copy, too. barbara g wagner at gmail

Thanks!

Please suggest some good tips/tricks for someone who is traveling on NCL Dawn for the first time (to Bermuda) and overall first time cruiser ever.

I have never sailed before so looking forward to this experience, but kind of wanting to know what to expect as well.

Also, has anyone ever succeeded in getting a stateroom upgrade once onboard?

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice!

Hi! I LOVE the Dawn and LOVE Bermuda! We have cruised on her twice and we have vacationed in Bermuda. I saw you are booked aft on the 8th floor. We have always stayed in a mini suite on Deck 11 aft. I think the first tip is to remember it is your vacation and you don't have to rush around the ship.:) We always get to port early then once we are checked in I purchase Spa Passes for the week. I think on our last trip it was $120 for the week and it was worth every single penny! :D Get to know your room steward...they are great people. I really enjoy getting to know the staff. The nicer you are to them the better your cruise! We enjoy eating in Aqua some...especially on days we just don't want to dress up for dinner. The love and marriage show is funny. In my most humble opinion I think NCL has the BEST french fries. On the top deck there is a grill and bar if you want to enjoy lunch and not have a huge crowd go there! On Sea Days they grill out around the pool. There is a hot tub on the top deck forward. It isn't as crowded as the other ones. If you have to wait for a table at dinner they will give you coupon for a free glass of champagne. Take a power strip with you...there is only one outlet in the rooms. I do take clorox wipes (travel size) and wipe things down when we get in our room but they are clean! you can have them empty your mini fridge of the mini bar. Take a lanyard and have guest services punch a hole in your sea pass then put it on the lanyard...it makes it so much easier :) I am not sure how the inside rooms are but you can take an over the door shoe organizer for your bathroom door and store your items there :) If you aren't sure about getting sea sick take some Ginger pills with you. They settle your stomach but won't make you sleepy. I always take my own travel cup with me. In the buffet area there are flavored teas and water you can drink during the day if you don't have UBP or Soda pass. Pack your white clothes for the White Party:D

Bermuda: it is absolutely beautiful. If you want to snorkel don't book on the ship. Right outside the port area you can get tickets to go out for about $60 which will save you $25 from booking on the ship...and the guest who booked on the ship will be on there with you. DO go to the Gibbs Hill lighthouse, I think it is $5 to climb it and go out of the top. It is absolutely beautiful.

I hope you have a great time on the Dawn!! I think she is a great ship and very easy to get around. You are staying Aft so you can go down one floor to the MDR. If you eat in there ask for a table next to the windows in the very back....you will have an amazing view :D I think the only thing I could say negative was dinner service is slow, very slow. It was hard for me to get used to, ha! And, my last tip would be this...the last full day you have on the cruise when you wake up go down to guest services and get your tags for your luggage!!! The tags you get will determine when you are allowed to disembark unless you are going to take your luggage off yourself. We learned this the hard way.

Sorry for the long post. Enjoy your cruise!!!!

If you can handle one more request, I would love to get copies of your documents sabramo102@aol.com. First trip to Bermuda, leaving on the Dawn on June 26, 2015. Just off the Breakaway on Sunday - loved the ship and all the entertainment options!

Thanks!

CTSandy I'm on that sailing date too! Perhaps I'll see you on the Roll Call. Hoping there's enough of us to schedule a Meet and Greet

We always get to port early then once we are checked in I purchase Spa Passes for the week. I think on our last trip it was $120 for the week and it was worth every single penny! :D

Boatgrl: Did you purchase the spa passes in Boston while waiting to board, or after you actually boarded the ship?

We have a lot of OBC for our Bermuda cruise so I'm looking for new things for us to try (and spend money on). :D

Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know that I got the info you emailed me - great package and obviously lots of research! I started looking it over last night, but I'll be spending some serious time with it this weekend. Thank you so much!!

You're welcome!! With my third cruise to Bermuda as a port (one day only this time) coming up, I've had time to acquire quite a few tips and links about the island. Of course, you can tell I like to do the research. :D

The Dawn to Bermuda was our first cruise as well. We loved it!

My recommendation would be to keep on asking questions and researching the boards here as well. My review link is in my signature and it is pretty detailed with a lot of photos. I have three kids so some of it is geared towards families and we spent much of our time on the beaches with a trip to Tom Moore's Jungle as well. The nice thing about this cruise is that you have just about three whole days in Bermuda, so there is time to take things at a leisurely pace.

Have fun!

Tudorcruisers & BabsinTx,

I have mailed out the documents to you. Sorry for the delay, but I was busy with work and family obligations. Happy sailing to you both! :)

Jenesaisquoi: I haven't received it (I checked my spam filters); did it bounce? Here's my email again, just in case: BarbaraGWagner @ gmail.com.

Thanks so much.

Jenesaisquoi: I haven't received it (I checked my spam filters); did it bounce? Here's my email again, just in case: BarbaraGWagner @ gmail.com.

Thanks so much.

Hi, BabsinTX,

No, it didn't bounce back. I double checked the email address, and it was correct. I've sent it again. I did have a couple of other recipients' emails bounce back with a message that the email was too large because of the size of the attachments--one of them is larger than the others; however, none of those were gmail accounts. If you still don't get it, I can try sending it again with fewer attachments and see if that works. :)

Hi, BabsinTX,

No, it didn't bounce back. I double checked the email address, and it was correct. I've sent it again. I did have a couple of other recipients' emails bounce back with a message that the email was too large because of the size of the attachments--one of them is larger than the others; however, none of those were gmail accounts. If you still don't get it, I can try sending it again with fewer attachments and see if that works. :)

I got it! Thanks very, very much. :D

We're on the June 26th sailing and I would love a copy, we've got some down time between shore excursions that I am looking for ideas to fill.

tricia_young at yahoo dot com

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share with us, I really appreciate it

Hi, firsttime_cruiser2015!

I'm fairly new to cruising myself. I just booked my sixth cruise! I went on the Dawn to Bermuda last August and loved it. I have a tendency to really research my cruises--both the ship and destination, so I compiled quite a bit of information for that cruise. I would be happy to share it with you. If you have an email address, I could send it to you. I have a Word document with Internet links, a map, etc. that I could email to you. Keep in mind, though, that some information may be dated since my cruise was last year. :)

Not the OP but I have friends taking their first cruise on the Dawn on July 24th. I would love to get that information for them. I would really appreciate it. My email is in my signature.

Catherine

blueflower1968, YellowjacketMom, diamondella, jazzcruise, & mariawinnell,

I have sent you my documents! I hope you have lovely cruises to Bermuda. :)

Would you send to me as well? We are going to Bermuda in June 2016.

Katon34 @ yahoo . Com

Hi jenesaisquoi - Would you mind sharing your documents with me please: derekd69 at hotmail.com. I am taking my wife, son, daughter and four of their friends. My daughter is graduating high school.

Thank you very much, in advance.

Edited by kipo92