Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

"It seems like NCL passengers do not like à la carte dining"

I assume you mean Cruise Critic NCL passengers. They don't see to like anything NCL does that helps them keep their business viable and afloat.

I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't appreciate sneaky, underhanded business dealings :cool:

I have no problem with it. If that's what it was when I booked/paid for my cruise.

However, when I pay for the UDP or receive that as a promo and after I pay for my cruise I find out that they've now removed a restaurant from the UDP and have made it an a la carte dining area.....that I don't like.

I feel I paid for A, B, and C and they changed it to only giving me A and B.

Grandfather those in who need to be grandfathered. Announce what the change will be and a date it will start. Those who get the promo or pay for the UDP AFTER that announcement/date is fine.

Harriet

I assume you mean Cruise Critic NCL passengers. They don't see to like anything NCL does that helps them keep their business viable and afloat.

If you are going to quote me please do not place my words out of context. I stated quite clearly what I meant and I made no reference to only speaking of folks here on CC.

I was referring to the à la carte venues that can already be found on the newer NCL ships. In particular the Ocean Blue which despite repeated price drops sits quite empty many nights as well as the under utilized Noodle Bars, which have been made complementary and now closes for lunch.

Changes being made to Cagney's is just another example of corporate greed. There are numerous reasons why it is the most popular specialty restaurant on the ships. With that being the case the powers that be have decided they are going to change things, so they can tap into that popularity, and hopefully put more money in their corporate pockets.

There are many people who will still go to Cagney's. Some of those will go just once so they can try it. I believe in the long run the established precedent on NCL ships will prevail and the vast majority will not be visiting this venue as an à la carte establishment.

I am not against a business keeping themselves viable and afloat. If that is their goal they should be concentrating on making their product the best it can be and at the same time keeping their customers happy. Why not make changes to the least utilized areas and make them more appealing to your customer base rather than try to squeeze a couple of more dollars out of the guests frequenting the most popular venue?

Rochelle

Since some on here are already vilifying NCL over changes at Cagney's calling them greedy, could someone tell me exactly what the changes are, because for the life of me I can't figure it out. There has been a lot of speculation and a lot of wishes, but do we know exactly what they are doing? Has there been a change yet that we can vilify them for?

I seem to remember a poster adamant about having to pay the 18 percent gratuity on an already gotten UBP and posters were quite upset. All to find out that the poster was wrong.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I, sorry if that looks blurry...it is a screenshot on my iPad. The link is https://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

This is the verbiage...

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Pizza 24/7 and Gelato are not part of the package.

I thought the noodle bar just went complimentary.

Since some on here are already vilifying NCL over changes at Cagney's calling them greedy, could someone tell me exactly what the changes are, because for the life of me I can't figure it out. There has been a lot of speculation and a lot of wishes, but do we know exactly what they are doing? Has there been a change yet that we can vilify them for?

I seem to remember a poster adamant about having to pay the 18 percent gratuity on an already gotten UBP and posters were quite upset. All to find out that the poster was wrong.

You can think one way and I can think another. It's what makes for discussions. If you want to wait for concrete evidence that's your choice but don't slap people for having their thought and opinion. For me? The picture tells a thousand words and I believe what the OP stated. And that is MY feeling may not be yours but I'm entitled to mine just like you are.

image.jpg.08f280ce9acca08baea9704b3f458dd1.jpg

I, sorry if that looks blurry...it is a screenshot on my iPad. The link is https://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

This is the verbiage...

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Pizza 24/7 and Gelato are not part of the package.

I may be mistaken but I believe in the past when they discussed Add-Ons, as they do about Le Bistro above, Cagneys used to be mentioned with an add-on (but can't remember what that add-on was, lobster perhaps?).

You are clearly referring to me in your first comment. I am not vilifying NCL. I am stating an opinion on an upcoming change that is the focus of this thread. As others have said before me, these numerous reports of changes coming have almost 100% proven to be true. My comments about the corporate greed being shown by NCL is not just in reference to this possible change but as a response cumulative changes that we have seen over the last two months.

As to your second comment I have seen you post this in various threads as if it is a way to prove your point and I think it is grossly unfair to that CC member. Yes it is true that someone did erroneously post about still being charged the 18% gratuity on the UBP. Just a few comments after that the CC member in question was big enough to post again and state for the record that they had made a mistake and apologized for it. No one took that error and reported it throughout Cruise Critic as if it was the gospel truth. In fact the only further reference I have seen to it have been from you and yours alone. Let it go. A mistake was made for which they recanted and apologized. I'm sure if the system here on CC would allow it they would have removed the erroneous post immediately. Sometimes you have to cut your fellow man a little slack. Forgive, forget and move on.

Rochelle

I for the life of me can't understand why some of the CC posters still sail on NCL ships since NCL is such a sneaky, underhanded cruise line. Makes you wonder. If the unhappy CC posters all ran over to RCI or Celebrity or Princess, would it make any difference? No. Of course, they are entitled to their opinions, whether you like it or not.

You are clearly referring to me in your first comment. I am not vilifying NCL. I am stating an opinion on an upcoming change that is the focus of this thread. As others have said before me, these numerous reports of changes coming have almost 100% proven to be true. My comments about the corporate greed being shown by NCL is not just in reference to this possible change but as a response cumulative changes that we have seen over the last two months.

As to your second comment I have seen you post this in various threads as if it is a way to prove your point and I think it is grossly unfair to that CC member. Yes it is true that someone did erroneously post about still being charged the 18% gratuity on the UBP. Just a few comments after that the CC member in question was big enough to post again and state for the record that they had made a mistake and apologized for it. No one took that error and reported it throughout Cruise Critic as if it was the gospel truth. In fact the only further reference I have seen to it have been from you and yours alone. Let it go. A mistake was made for which they recanted and apologized. I'm sure if the system here on CC would allow it they would have removed the erroneous post immediately. Sometimes you have to cut your fellow man a little slack. Forgive, forget and move on.

Rochelle

Forgive, forget and move on is impossible for some. You know that Rochelle 😄

So is it safe to say that if you have UDP and were able to pre-book then the cover charge (instead of a la carte pricing) will be honored for your sailing?

One would think yes. I as a sensible person would think yes but you never know. When is your cruise for? If you booked it already u should be fine.

Geri

I really wonder that other than suite guests what is the breakdown of what others who took the promo selected. UBP, UDP, OBC, or Free Gratuities? I ask because clearly if enough people took the UDP it would easily overwhelm the availability of the Specialty Restaurants to the point where it could become useless.

It has

thanks footballparent. So then here is another piece of info that is incorrect on their website and needs to be updated. I sail in 13 days and will see what happens. I do not have the UDP or any promos I go thru CAs and got an inside comp. Then upgraded. After looking at all the price histories, I can't complain. I feel I got a great price for my cruise. I really feel for a lot of the folks who when they got onboard were surprised by the all the changes. I would not be happy as well.

thanks footballparent. So then here is another piece of info that is incorrect on their website and needs to be updated. I sail in 13 days and will see what happens. I do not have the UDP or any promos I go thru CAs and got an inside comp. Then upgraded. After looking at all the price histories, I can't complain. I feel I got a great price for my cruise. I really feel for a lot of the folks who when they got onboard were surprised by the all the changes. I would not be happy as well.

Your welcome and make sure to report back and have a great cruise.

Geri

Edited by FootballParent

More changes to come next month - more confusion for bookings further out at the time of sailing, then, again, maybe not. Newbies sailing NCL are clueless.

Was still "mobile" earlier & email from TA came in - already uploaded under a different thread "May promo ?"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=347644&d=1430144573

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=347645&d=1430144592

Under the May promo, assuming this is 99.5% accurate (of course, subject to change, etc. etc.) dining at Cagney's is simple, use up your available OBC and the POS will compute the 18%, ding ding ding - sign & done. We all know NCL has an excellent communications, IT and accounting department that's very good at what they do ... NOT.

Link to the other thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2195296&page=7&highlight=moderno+and+platinum

Edited by mking8288

I for the life of me can't understand why some of the CC posters still sail on NCL ships since NCL is such a sneaky, underhanded cruise line. Makes you wonder. If the unhappy CC posters all ran over to RCI or Celebrity or Princess, would it make any difference? No. Of course, they are entitled to their opinions, whether you like it or not.

I can like a company well enough without having to accept everything they say and do. When a company makes changes, rather than just bending over and taking it, I can look at the issue at hand for itself and how it fits into the bigger picture. I can then form my own opinion. My opinions can be about changes that affect me personally or that have an impact on others. If at some point the pros and cons are such that their is more negative that positive it will be at that time that I will decide to stop cruising NCL. Not because someone on CC thinks I should move along if I don't act like a devoted dog sitting at the floor of the master corporation's feet and take everything they throw at me. Willingly sitting there, wagging my tail, until they throw something else unpleasant at me.

**For the record I do not cruise exclusively with NCL as I frequent a variety of lines.

Rochelle

I can like a company well enough without having to accept everything they say and do. When a company makes changes, rather than just bending over and taking it, I can look at the issue at hand for itself and how it fits into the bigger picture. I can then form my own opinion. My opinions can be about changes that affect me personally or that have an impact on others. If at some point the pros and cons are such that their is more negative that positive it will be at that time that I will decide to stop cruising NCL. Not because someone on CC thinks I should move along if I don't act like a devoted dog sitting at the floor of the master corporation's feet and take everything they throw at me. Willingly sitting there, wagging my tail, until they throw something else unpleasant at me.

**For the record I do not cruise exclusively with NCL as I frequent a variety of lines.

Rochelle

I agree. It's about weighing the pros and cons. When the scale tips too far into the cons, then people walk away. I'm not thrilled with a lot of the changes, but I still like NCLs overall product. There will be a tipping point for me, though. It just hasn't come yet.

Rochelle

First off, we have no idea what the changes will be; they can be anything from all ala carte to partial ala carte to on the UDP to off the UDP...we don't know. Why not wait to see what the changes are before we jump to conclusions. It has already been proven that not all reported changes are true.

I understand, the poster made a mistake and apologized for it, but that doesn't make up for the many posters who started ranting because of the post or that it was first posted as fact. Some just seem to want to bash NCL and they take any post reporting a change to do it, saying that when someone posts a change it is usually true.

Edited by NLH Arizona

This just started with the FDR fiasco. NCL was never like this when Sheehan was in charge.

First off, we have no idea what the changes will be; they can be anything from all ala carte to partial ala carte to on the UDP to off the UDP...we don't know. Why not wait to see what the changes are before we jump to conclusions. It has already been proven that not all reported changes are true.

I understand, the poster made a mistake and apologized for it, but that doesn't make up for the many posters who started ranting because of the post or that it was first posted as fact. Some just seem to want to bash NCL and they take any post reporting a change to do it, saying that when someone posts a change it is usually true.

Again my comments are being taken out of context. I do not need to wait and see what the changes are to form the opinion I did and made in this thread. Someone inferred that comments opposed to changes by NCL are from people against a company making themselves profitable and viable. My contention is that a business that wants to become more viable and profitable makes changes to the venues that are least successful. Making the necessary adjustments so that these venues are appealing to the customer and therefore profitable to the company.

All the recent changes are about squeezing more money out of the customers in areas that are already popular; room service, specialty restaurants and drinks etc. It has been all about profit with very little to do with improving the product or guest satisfaction.

One bone has been thrown in the direction of the guests and that has been to take the almost never used Asian restaurants, water down the menus to a minimum and make them complementary. Was this in response to the uproar over room service charges (as the announcement timing suggests) or in general. Perhaps it was in the grander scheme of things - thrown out early to soften the blow for the changes coming with Cagney's. Who know's. But I have yet to see any changes that have been made in order to improve the product for general guest satisfaction. Until that time I base my opinions on what they, the company, have given me, and that is never ending changes to improve the bottom line with little to no regard to the customer. The precise terms and conditions of the changes are most often not necessary.

~~~~~

Once again I think you are being totally unfair to the poster who made a mistake about the charges on their final bill. Please show me where exactly where "the many posters who started ranting because of the post" are at.? I have not seen any ranting over the issue whatsoever. As I said before you are the only CC member I have seen mentioning it repeatedly.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s