Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

On a side note, for those who have the UDP as a perk, if they make this official then can you contact ncl and get them to change you to another perk? Seems only reasonable that they would that.

Back in March, when there was first the rumour of no more free first night for Cirque I called my PCC and asked if this were true. The only thing she would say was that she could not guarantee it would be the case when I cruise on the Epic March of 2016. I had her switch the promo to OBC instead and we will just not see the Cirque show.

Hopefully it will be as easy for those who might now want to switch their promotion or obtain a refund.

Rochelle

Not to mention on a 7 day cruise I also get one specialty restaurant free for being Platinum and at least one and most times more specialty meals free from CAS.

I'm wondering if CAS will allow Cagney's?

Harriet

I think if you purchased the UDP you received $20 off for Platinum.

This will be the change I need to push me to Royal Caribbean only. When does it stop? First it was the increase in the DSC even on cruises that were already booked unless you choose to prepay prior to the date and now they change to the UDP after the promotion where it was free. IMO the UDP is useless if Cagneys is not included.

I haven't really put a lot of thought into the recent changes (increased DSC, new room service charge) as I felt they either wouldn't really impact me that much, or at all. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Asian restaurant was now complimentary, albeit with a slightly different menu.

But this upcoming change of Cagney's not being included in the UDP really doesn't sit well with me. If NCL wants to make these changes, fine. But do it in such a way that it doesn't impact those that have already booked, like some have already said, under a different set of assumptions.

We are booked in a suite and as such have UDP, UBP and OBC included. We enjoyed dinner at Cagney's twice on our last cruise and were thinking we'd do it again in October. But now I am feeling like spending that extra $120 or so* just feels like NCL trying to shake me down... after already having paid a premium to cruise in a suite in the first place.

I'm kind of p*ssed off.

*Edited because I just remembered having read that once Cagney's is no longer part of the UDP, it may not even have a cover charge but a la carte pricing instead. :mad:

Edited by welove2cruise2014

As I posted on the other thread

"Another week...yet another change...

Another week...yet another poor public relations/communication showing by NCL.."

NCL no longer respects their customers. The constant watering down of the product is surely going to drive away their loyal customers. Yes..I know NCL is a business and the purpose is to make money but I think they will soon realize that after the initial bump in sales with all the promos that bookings may suffer as the product they offer is no longer the NCL model that drew so many of us to NCL and had us become repeat customers. Yes..they will get new customers..but will they become repeat cruisers with NCL...only time will tell.

I left Carnival when they no longer met my expectations and needs..and so it may be with NCL.

If indeed , as some say, this is the future of the cruise industry in general...then , as other have stated, my cruising days may be over.

I have a feeling...and this is just my opinion, NOT based on anything that anybody told me...that pretty soon the UDP will be a thing of the past. If this is true about Cagney's, my opinion is that this is step 1 of phasing out the UDP.

I've also read many times on these boards that when trying to make reservations for specialty restaurants, guests were told they are fully booked and unavailable, but then the restaurants would only be maybe half full for the evening. Is it possible that this is NCL's way of "limiting" how many people eat at the specialty restaurants, especially Cagney's, if they have the UDP? Meaning NCL already has their money for the UDP (if they didn't get UDP under the promo...and remember inside cabins don't qualify for it so that's a lot of people) and now won't allow them to book Cagney's because they don't make money that way. I've read many times here that some passengers eat at Cagney's sometimes 3 or 4 times throughout their cruise. My boss did that when she went on BA last summer and had the UDP and she and her husband loved Cagney's. They ate there most nights.

We have Cagney's reserved through NCL group events for our party of 11 people. They did this for all of our dining reservations (the rest are in Manhattan Room MDR) a few weeks ago, and sent me the confirmation PDF. We have to pay the cover charge in advance, but it's not due until July 10th (we sail July 19th). They were kind enough to charge us kids prices for the children, but I've read that is upped to full price...no problem if they get to order the same food as adults. But now supposedly, the cover charge will be a thing of the past and now it will have an a la carte menu. Our family will look into the new menu in June if this comes to fruition, and then we will make a decision as to whether we will still eat there or just have group events change that evening's reservation to Manhattan Room.

I'm a little upset about this because now there's a good chance we won't get to eat at Cagney's. And I'm kicking myself for not going to Cagney's on previous NCL cruises because now we just might never end up going there. We shall see what the changes will bring in the coming months, but my final payment date is this Thursday!

As I posted on the other thread

"Another week...yet another change...

Another week...yet another poor public relations/communication showing by NCL.."

NCL no longer respects their customers. The constant watering down of the product is surely going to drive away their loyal customers. Yes..I know NCL is a business and the purpose is to make money but I think they will soon realize that after the initial bump in sales with all the promos that bookings may suffer as the product they offer is no longer the NCL model that drew so many of us to NCL and had us become repeat customers. Yes..they will get new customers..but will they become repeat cruisers with NCL...only time will tell.

I left Carnival when they no longer met my expectations and needs..and so it may be with NCL.

If indeed , as some say, this is the future of the cruise industry in general...then , as other have stated, my cruising days may be over.

Yes, a lot of people are ticked off by their changes. Yes, repeat NCL cruisers may jump ship (no pun intended). And yes, there will still be new customers. And I think many of them will become repeat cruisers because if they've never cruised before, then this will be all they know as the "norm" and they will come to expect extra charges, and they will accept the watered down product because they have nothing else to compare it to since they've never cruised before. To many of us, cruising has undergone many changes over the years since the first time we cruised (1990 for me). But for newbies to cruising (and there are plenty), this will become their norm.

I haven't really put a lot of thought into the recent changes (increased DSC, new room service charge) as I felt they either wouldn't really impact me that much, or at all.

But this upcoming change of Cagney's not being included in the UDP really doesn't sit well with me.

I'm kind of p*ssed off.

And this is the problem I see here with many people. If it does not affect them they either don't care, don't voice their opinions that the change is wrong or side with NCL saying it's their right to change things.

However, once some change DOES affect them.....boom! They're upset and have something to say.

I'm not targeting you.....this is for everyone.

Change IS okay.....with proper notification. Those that have already booked/paid should be grandfathered in. That way, they will actually get what they believed they were paying for.

Harriet

Side note...just got the proxy for shareholder meeting....wonder how I should vote? I can only assume the board nominations are hand picked by the new regime...:confused:

And this is the problem I see here with many people. If it does not affect them they either don't care, don't voice their opinions that the change is wrong or side with NCL saying it's their right to change things.

However, once some change DOES affect them.....boom! They're upset and have something to say.

I'm not targeting you.....this is for everyone.

Change IS okay.....with proper notification. Those that have already booked/paid should be grandfathered in. That way, they will actually get what they believed they were paying for.

Harriet

I agree with you that the major issue is communication. People being surprised by extra charges and such while they're on their cruise is just unprofessional and poor customer service on the part of NCL. However, they cover themselves by putting in the fine print that things "may change at any time with or without notice". And there you have it...they cover their bases and are safe to make the next move at any time because it says so in the contract. And NCL isn't the only business making disclaimers like this. But they're the only business I've seen take so much advantage of that statement and hurt its customers in the process. They have a "Too bad on you!" attitude and it doesn't sit well with me. And people being surprised by these things the day they board or even worse, in the middle of their sailing is just not right.

Le bistro = $20

Tepanyaki = $25

La Cucnia = $15

Mondero = $20

????? Where does this equal $140

Better get out your calculator. LOL. If you eat at each of the three highest twice, and la cucina once, the total is 145.

Terry

I am amazed that there is a thread this long and this much outrage over something that one person on one cruise heard. Not such a remote possibility this is incorrect, before getting nuts maybe everyone should wait to hear something from NCL.

Harriet

VERY WELL STATED

Notification and grandfathering in would of been a much easier way to swallow these changes. We can't imagine how it must feel to be ONBOARD and find out you are not a getting the product you thought you were!! Shame on NCL for the way they rolled out these changes. We are in the communication era...but not NCL !!!.

I am amazed that there is a thread this long and this much outrage over something that one person on one cruise heard. Not such a remote possibility this is incorrect, before getting nuts maybe everyone should wait to hear something from NCL.

Flipper,

Where have you been?????

NCL does not tell anyone anything until they're on the ship and find out about it themselves.

Everything passengers have reported finding on the ship without any notice from NCL has become true. Why wouldn't this report?

50% off for kids no longer available - reported by someone in the ship = true

Room service charge - reported by someone on the ship = true

I could go on....but is there really a need?

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Yes. we will see. ..BUT....recent reports of other changes (from recent CC cruisers) HAVE been correct....and since NCL will not communicate with us.:mad:...we take our news from other sources :rolleyes:

Yes. we will see. ..BUT....recent reports of other changes (from recent CC cruisers) HAVE been correct....and since NCL will not communicate with us.:mad:...we take our news from other sources :rolleyes:

Ha! I basically just said the same thing! LOL

Harriet

Again, all this could be simply quashed by a statement confirming or denying this change from NCL public relations department. Otherwise we will have about 50 threads on, I've got UDP free with a package, can I still book Cagneys? , or I've booked and paid UDP, what happens? Or is it only certain things a la carte..

As with the room service and other changes it seems NCL prefer to leak this to certain staff who leak this as rumour to some cruisers.

The concept makes sense (I.e. Most popular on ship, constantly being block booked by people on free UDP packages = loss of revenue). As ever Devils in the detail. I'll await any confirmation and pricing before deciding but normally go to Cagneys every cruise.

Edited by Single Cruiser

I will watch this closely....

Booked back in Jan. for Epic in March 2016 and have the UDP and OBC...

Took a hit with the OBC to take advantage of a price drop on the room, now if its true about cagneys I will probably just drop the UDP and go with PPG instead...

Its hard to tell what will happen between now and March....

The way things are going I would not be surprised to see NCL exercise its right by contract and attach additional fictional costs for fuel on our final bill even though the oil prices are still low ....

The airlines are getting away with it so why not NCL....

Edited by warriorking