Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

I really don't see much of a value in the UDP now that another restaurant (and my personal favorite!) will be taken off the list. Even if I get 25% off the a la carte... I'd rather just pay as I go. I have the UDP for my next booking and I certainly planned on dining in Cagney's once if not twice during the week.

Yes the UDP is turning into the Ultimate Discount Package. In terms of the larger ships there are more venues where a discount can be had with the UDP than there are actual venues included. Personally I think $119 for a coupon/discount card for the week is very pricey!!

Currently if you purchase the UDP you pay $17 per night for the venue and $3.06 for every night you dine elsewhere, whether it be in a complementary venue or at one that you receive a discount for you either lose the gratuity paid or the cost per night increases. With the most expensive venue being Teppanyaki and the very limited seating available it almost becoming impossible to get your money's worth out of the package. Perhpas not a big deal for those who receive it as part of a booking promotion but a genuine concern for someone who purchases the package.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

Yes the UDP is turning into the Ultimate Discount Package. In terms of the larger ships there are more venues where a discount can be had with the UDP than there are actual venues included. Personally I think $119 for a coupon/discount card for the week is very pricey!!

Currently if you purchase the UDP you pay $17 per night for the venue and $3.06 for every night you dine elsewhere, whether it be in a complementary venue or at one that you receive a discount for you either lose the gratuity paid or the cost per night increases. With the most expensive venue being Teppanyaki and the very limited seating available it almost becoming impossible to get your money's worth out of the package. Perhpas not a big deal for those who receive it as part of a booking promotion but a genuine concern for someone who purchases the package.

Rochelle

As a freebee.. I'm disappointed I am now receiving less than promised, once again. If I am paying for it, it's one less thing included. It's getting to the point I cannot take anything at face value with NCL. Things are changing so quickly, how can one determine the value of their purchases?? I make purchases based on weighing out value versus cost. NCL is making that extremely difficult!!

As a freebee.. I'm disappointed I am now receiving less than promised, once again. If I am paying for it, it's one less thing included. It's getting to the point I cannot take anything at face value with NCL. Things are changing so quickly, how can one determine the value of their purchases?? I make purchases based on weighing out value versus cost. NCL is making that extremely difficult!!

I couldn't agree more. As I said in an earlier pos,t I rebooked my BA cruise after the promos came out but at a higher price in order to take advantage of the program as outlined at the time. Now I feel like I'm losing the benefits of the promos at a rapid pace and the loss of Cagney's being included in the UDP is a huge one. Sigh.

I question whether any of these "freebies" are actually that. It may be prudent to check the rate increases to see if NCL is simply hiding the cost of these things in the fares and making some believe they are getting them free.

I question whether any of these "freebies" are actually that. It may be prudent to check the rate increases to see if NCL is simply hiding the cost of these things in the fares and making some believe they are getting them free.

Although I agree with you, since my booking during the January Freestyle choice, my cabin category has gone up $400 per person since, with basically the same options, so I feel pretty confident I got a decent deal. But yes, I agree, it's all factored into the base price. I factor it in, as well, when agreeing to pay the fare. And now things I factored in are being stripped one by one.

I am not sure you are punishing the cabin attendants by reducing or eliminating the DSC.

Since NCL is not letting us know how the DSC is distributed, perhaps it would help the attendants if the DSC was removed and they were tipped in cash. Think about it !!!

The way NCL management is operating recently, I believe if I shook their hand, I would count my fingers to be sure I got them all back !!! lol

My DSC had better not be going to Cagnys!!!!

Oh yes, Why are you punishing all the cabin attendants and servers because of a change with Cagnys?:eek:

I'm not.

"Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. "

My service charge is not gratuities that go directly to staff. It "supports" "salary and incentive programs" and since NCL states

"It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

and I paid for a UDP that included Illusionarium free on the first night and Cagney's, I will adjust service charges "should my concerns not be met with satisfaction."

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

I agree. How many times is it said that it is the consumer's responsibility to do their due diligence. How is that even possible with NCL over the last couple of months? There have been numerous changes made and had it not been for CC I could be boarding the ship in two weeks knowing of exactly one of the recent changes and that is the change that was made to the DSC to which most folks received an email about back in February.

CC has proven to be an invaluable resource over the last couple of months in regards to keeping up with NCL and their relentless drive to either increase or alter what have been long established costs and modes of operation. Personally on my B2B on the Jade very few of the changes will have an impact. Next year on the Epic I will be more affected. What about going forward, to the cruise after that? Will all the changes, present and to come, be enough to deter me from coming back? It is definitely possible, as I am not loyal to any particular line. NCL has been a great fit over the last few years and has been a wonderful brand that I have really enjoyed. Too many changes might make it difficult to continue to see what it is that has been so appealing about the line. The never ending list of changes would make me hesitate to book much into the future again. If looking to book a cruise for the future I think right now I would want to book with a company that I felt I could trust to deliver the product I booked, when I booked it, as opposed to trying to keep up with a company who can barely keep up with the changes themselves .

Rochelle

Bought the UDP in anticipation of going to Cagneys 2 or 3 times on our 4 night Sky cruise. Figured we would go one other night to Le Bistro. So what is the point of UDP on a ship it is only good for two restaurants? I will wait and see for more information but if true I will cancel our UDP.

I'm on vacation - I am in no mood to fight with any restaurant manager waving printouts in their face, go finnagle with the gratuities, or otherwise get my blood pressure up or waste my time. That all sounds like real world stuff. Depending on the a la carte pricing we may go once, but a la carte pricing sort of turns me off. Its like fighting with any company in the real world. Cruising isn't supposed to be like the real world. It's supposed to be relaxing and carefree. Not a huge fan of cover charges but at least once the cover was paid I didn't have to make further choices or accounting.

My issue with all of this is that at the time I put down my deposit on my cruise, I purchased it based on the information posted at that time. All the extras and added fees figure into my final decision. Cagney's was part of the deal. I strongly feel that whatever was in print AT THE TIME OF BOOKING should be honored. If you change your booking, okay that changes things, but what I booked should be what I get. I realize this creates more accounting for NCL, but if you are selling a product a year and a half out, these are things you should be prepared to deal with.

Oh yes, Why are you punishing all the cabin attendants and servers because of a change with Cagnys?:eek:

.....because I don't believe that these employees are receiving most service charges or gratuities. NCL has now stated that the DSC is used for salaries and the abstruse (my adjective) incentive programs.

Furthermore, I don't believe that servers in bars, specialty food/drink shops, specialty restaurants receive the 18% charge (whatever they're calling it today).

Your saying you would penalize the crew for some decision that management may or may not make. Right, that's what you are saying?

Wrong. Read again.

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. "

My service charge is not gratuities that go directly to staff. It "supports" "salary and incentive programs" and since NCL states

"It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

and I paid for a UDP that included Illusionarium free on the first night and Cagney's, I will adjust service charges "should my concerns not be met with satisfaction."

In other words, my service charges "support" "salary and incentive programs." They do NOT go directly to crew in any way, shape, or form. If I reduce them, NCL will make up any needed difference.

Wrong. Read again.

In other words, my service charges "support" "salary and incentive programs." They do NOT go directly to crew in any way, shape, or form. If I reduce them, NCL will make up any needed difference.

I'm not going to get into the fundamentals of adjusting the DSC, but I do want to speak up and say I believe you are misreading this statement. I think it should be more clear, ( and, of course, we all know NCL loves the gray area!) but I think this means staff are compensated by a combination of 1. Salary and 2. Incentive programs that your DSC supports. I don't think DSC affects base salary.

I have no interest in eating at a la carte venues on a cruise ship. Too much like being on land, plus generally too pricey for what they are (particularly when you factor in the meal in the MDR you've paid for and aren't eating). .

"I have a cruise booked in September that has the choice promo included. This is 3 restaurants-cagneys, la cucina and le bistro. I hope that still means we can order whatever we want"

That is what they are saying, they are changing the policy so that Cagney's is not part of the promotion as of June.

I don't think DSC affects base salary.

I honestly don't think DSC's affect either salary or incentive programs.

Salary is contracted and incentive programs are company defined. Both are paid when earned, no matter how much individual customers have paid for their purchases. ;)

Wow, this is not good. :(

We were really looking forward to trying Cagney's out.

I agree. I'm going to wait and see how this all plays out in June before canceling our Cagney's reservation on our July BA cruise, but from the way it's sounding, we won't be dining there. MDR instead.