Cagney's - Important info

NJ Johnny

when I booked my two cruises I choose a suite and was very excited at the thought of eating at Cagneys for dinner.

I am disappointed in NCL if they do indeed remove this restaurant from the list of restaurants that are included with UDP.

We have the UDP as a freebie with our Suite and I'm disappointed. I would be livid if I had specifically chosen the UDP as a promo. This is disheartening. I've tried to just ride it out and realize that with every new CEO comes changes but it seems like every day there is a new charge for something.

We have the UDP as a freebie with our Suite and I'm disappointed. I would be livid if I had specifically chosen the UDP as a promo. This is disheartening. I've tried to just ride it out and realize that with every new CEO comes changes but it seems like every day there is a new charge for something.

The main issue is that they are being very sneaky in implementing these new changes. This has been the pattern for a couple of months now. There is no warning to anyone. It's as though they're deciding on these changes one minute and implementing them the next minute, rather than giving advance notice of changes, made clearly via their website at the very least. This should be noted BEFORE anyone's final payment date. Therefore, if they want to begin a change for sailings that begin on June 1st or the first sailing after June 1st for example, they need to look at any sailings that begin at that point and consider the final payment date to give people a CHOICE, not blindside them with new changes mid-sailing or once they're stuck on that sailing. That is called good customer service and how you get people to stay with your product rather than jumping ship (no pun intended).

Whether or not these changes were being considered before FDR took over, we will never know. But it sure feels like these were rash decisions made overnight and rushed into place. At least that's the way I see it. And now I'm worried about paying in full of our July cruise. Our final payment date is this Thursday and I worry about ah changes coming in the next couple of months that will affect us.

I am not familiar with Cagney's, therefore I am not certain whether it will affect my upcoming cruise, so please pardon the question if it has already been addresses, but if you get the UDP as a bonus for a booking (in our case we were able to get the UDP and the UBP) does the elimination of one signature restaurant greatly affect your dining choice options (this will be our second cruise on NCL, so I am still trying to learn about which places are "must trys" and which are just "so-so" )

Right, as is my understanding, the elimination of Cagney's as an inclusive restaurant for the UDP is as yet a rumor!!!

If it proves to true, sad for people that were banking on eating a lot of Cagney's.

Edited by Beaver1975

I am not familiar with Cagney's, therefore I am not certain whether it will affect my upcoming cruise, so please pardon the question if it has already been addresses, but if you get the UDP as a bonus for a booking (in our case we were able to get the UDP and the UBP) does the elimination of one signature restaurant greatly affect your dining choice options (this will be our second cruise on NCL, so I am still trying to learn about which places are "must trys" and which are just "so-so" )

It may not "greatly affect" your dining choices and experience. But, consider that Cagney's is one of the most popular specialty dining venues across all the ships which feature it. Removing Cagneys from the UDP certainly devalues it some.

NCL will tell you that they're not removing Cagneys from the UDP. NCL will tell you they are changing the pricing and menu options for your convenience.

Edited by triptolemus

I had the UDP on the Gem 3 weeks ago and have been saying how very nice it was ever since. Way back then we had 6 restaurants to choose from - Cagney's, Tepanyaki, Moderno, Le Bistro, Orchid Garden, and La Cucina. In all of 3 weeks I am finding out that Orchid Garden removed the best stuff from their menu and went complementary, and now Cagney's is going a la carte. So what used to be 6 restaurants is now down to 4, at least on the Gem. Even though it was wonderful for us, I no longer recommend the UDP. Once this change for Cagney's is confirmed, I will be going back to the threads I posted those positive UDP comments in and updating them to negative.

I believe it greatly affects the UDP by reducing its value. It leaves four restaurants on the Pearl: The teppanyaki restaurant, Le Bistro, Moderno and La Cucina. For me it would be more beneficial to not have the UDP and just eat at them and pay the fee, since Cagney's is my favorite and I would have to go their at least a few times on a seven day cruise, even if it is ala cart.

This is clearly bait and switch now. NCL sold or gave the UDP as a promo under a different set of terms from which it will honor onboard. Many of us made decisions based on those terms. Has NCL finally cross the line and is officially deceptive towards their customers? I have never felt so uncertain about what I actually purchased.

I hope this is not true but I wouldn't bat an eye if it is base on NCL's current track record. Better cruise sooner than later at NCL now. Have no idea what kind of product I will find in December. Hopefully, by final payment time, the cruise is still worth it.

Just sounds to me like the following:

Cagneys was often seen as the premium speciality restaurant onboard and on a lot of ships the most expensive cover.

Lots of people who have got UDP included will be booking Cagneys maybe several times a trip.

It appears it's filling up fast and they've stopped pre-bookings, if it's booked up then non UDP paying onboard customers get blocked and effectively it becomes reliant on money from the promo. NCL have seen this and decided to pull it but tried to ore-sweeten any move by making the "often empty from my experience" Asian restaurants free.

I would imagine somewhere in the t&cs will be something like NCL reserves the right to alter which venues are included within the package. A bit like the UBP beverage package.

Edit: just checked the website T&C page on package and:::

*All prices and packages are subject to change without notice

Edited by Single Cruiser

Looking at the overall changes - the bigger picture - analytically for a moment:

Asian dining is basically out (and free now) except ... Once the changes to Cagney's are confirmed, eluded to under NCL's NEXT, (advance reservations not currently taken is a good indicator of the trend, IMO.) - UDP isn't going to worth much to most.

Those with Platinum benefits, both Cagney's and Teppanyaki are already off the limits, and, Moderno being reported also as on the exclude list ... The comp'd dining & wine coupon can be upgraded previously by paying for the difference when going to Cagney - but no more.

For those booked on a non-mega ship, your choices could indeed be very limited, hampered further by blocked time slots & seating capacity.

Take the GEM as an example, up until recently, specialty dining has 598 seats among 7 venue - with Asian (100 seats) & Cagney (168 seats) coming off the UDP, a total of 268 seats gone, a 45% reduction - leaving just 330 seats available. Well, good luck getting those reservations unless you get a concierge involved on your prime time dining preference. For those feeling lucky as this is part of the AI "free" (Haven/Suite, etc.) promo, best of luck redeeming them by the time you cruise if your cruise isn't just around the corner ... with all the unknowns.

It has been our direct, first hand observations recently on the *AWAY ships that despite empty tables at LeBistro & other specialty dining revenue, reservations were closed to booking on the ship ...

We booked our first ncl cruise a couple of weeks ago and dithered between the cheap inside cabin vs the more expensive balcony cabin with free UDP. Very glad that we chose the inside and to pay seperatley for any speciality dining that we want!

On a side note, for those who have the UDP as a perk, if they make this official then can you contact ncl and get them to change you to another perk? Seems only reasonable that they would that.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

NCL cruises are no longer that cheap to justify paying for specialty restaurants on top of that plus 18% tip to boot ...i think theu should stop charging extra for anything ....you pay close to 1500$-2000$ for your cruise plus pay for meals ??Something does not add up ....

Stop hiking prices

I did not take the UDP because i know which restaurants i will not go again to

Make DR

Food a better choice ..and make pax happy instead ...cruising is a lot about food ...so make it so ...include more stuff or you are going to price yourself out of business

Wow there are so many changes lately with NCL adding fees or removing items or services. Del Rio is really determined to get that extra $50 from every passenger :eek:

From a customer perspective....its not that great...increase charges for UDP, hard to get bookings, added 18% gratuity on top of that auto daily gratuity, and now Cagneys removed from the UDP. But from the corporate side...they see silver nickels and golden dimes ;)

I am curious how much Cagneys will go up in price? It went up to $30 last year. It went up 18% this year. Do you think they will now charge for each item and charge for side dishes, appetizers, or desserts?

***Sigh*** My best meal at Cagneys was when they were $20 with those original Cagneys fries :)

Edited by david_sobe

If this is true, I will cancel my purchased UDP. Like another reply above, I have no desire to fight the manager while on vacation.

One could envision the UDP going away. Who would purchase it? Without Cagney's, pay as you go will be less than $119 (plus 18%).

Edit: just checked the website T&C page on package and:::

*All prices and packages are subject to change without notice

Companies always reserve the right to change prices & packages without notice.

The bigger issue arises when companies try to change the contents/value of packages that have already been paid for in full.

Final payment creates a contract for the product purchased, as it was on the date purchased.

Le bistro = $20

Tepanyaki = $25

La Cucnia = $15

Mondero = $20

????? Where does this equal $140

Not to mention on a 7 day cruise I also get one specialty restaurant free for being Platinum and at least one and most times more specialty meals free from CAS.

I'm wondering if CAS will allow Cagney's?

Harriet