New Latitudes tier qualification?

sailandcruise

I received a brochure from NCL the other day. The inside back cover is about the Latitudes Program. It contains a chart that shows the qualifications for each tier (i.e., Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum). In addition to the number of rewards points needed for each tier (1-19 for Bronze, 20-47 for Silver, 48-75 for Gold, and 76+ for Platinum), it has an additional column titled "# of Cruises" with entries 1-2 for Bronze, 3-6 for Silver, 7-10 for Gold, and 11+ for Platinum.

I checked the web site and didn't see any mention of number of cruises.

Has anyone else seen anything about this? Could this be a change that hasn't been announced yet?

I wonder if a passenger would qualify for the highest tier by either method? (I have 43 points accumulated over 7 cruises and my tier is Silver, so perhaps I will be upgraded to Gold for my next cruise?)

I received a brochure from NCL the other day. The inside back cover is about the Latitudes Program. It contains a chart that shows the qualifications for each tier (i.e., Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum). In addition to the number of rewards points needed for each tier (1-19 for Bronze, 20-47 for Silver, 48-75 for Gold, and 76+ for Platinum), it has an additional column titled "# of Cruises" with entries 1-2 for Bronze, 3-6 for Silver, 7-10 for Gold, and 11+ for Platinum.

I checked the web site and didn't see any mention of number of cruises.

Has anyone else seen anything about this? Could this be a change that hasn't been announced yet?

I wonder if a passenger would qualify for the highest tier by either method? (I have 43 points accumulated over 7 cruises and my tier is Silver, so perhaps I will be upgraded to Gold for my next cruise?)

Pretty sure those are just examples of how many cruises it would take for someone to get to those levels. I really hope they aren't making it easier now.

Pretty sure those are just examples of how many cruises it would take for someone to get to those levels. I really hope they aren't making it easier now.

And in reality, it would depend on the length of those cruises, the cabin type booked, and how early they were booked to determine how many points you would get from them.

As an afterthought, did NCL used to award status based purely on how many cruises one took versus the number of nights? Maybe it was an old pamphlet showing the change from the old system to the new system.

As an afterthought, did NCL used to award status based purely on how many cruises one took versus the number of nights? Maybe it was an old pamphlet showing the change from the old system to the new system.

Yes, they did. I remember that I thought it was a bit unfair, since the cruises we had done was the longer ones (12-14 nights). When they rolled out the current Latitude program a few years ago, our Latitude points for past cruises was changed from number of cruises to number of nights on board, and we advanced from just barely reaching Gold to getting Platinum status in a "heartbeat".

The brochure arrived in the mail on Wednesday this week. Its title is "New Season. New Choices." Cruises listed in it begin in late spring 2015 and go through 2016. It promotes the four current offers -- UBP, UDP, gratuities, and shore excursion credit, plus friends and family sail free. And it has the new logo, with only one wave underneath the "Cruise like a Norwegian" slogan. And the copyright date in the fine print with the terms and conditions is 2015.

So I don't think it was an "old pamphlet." ;)

It could be a mistake -- perhaps an old template was used by the printers, but given the context of all the recent changes, I am wondering if this is an early sign of yet another planned change. :confused:

After my cruise this December I'll be 1 point away from Platinum after just three cruises. I'll be highly irritated if it turns out that I have to cruise 8 more times before I can officially hit Platinum!

Really?

I actually hope that this means that they might change the "qualifications" in the future, so that it will be more "exclusive" to reach their highest level (Platinum) than it is today. In my opinion they should add an extra level to the Latitude ladder, and if not - then the second best thing would be to make it "harder" to reach Platinum level.

They changed the program in 2011, and from 2011 to 2013 we were usually less than 20 persons with Platinum status on each cruise. But the last couple of years, it has "exploded" - with several 100 persons with Platinum status on each cruise (because of the "easy" conditions to earn extra points and climb the Latitude "ladder" faster)...

Edited by TrumpyNor

Really?

Yep, "Really"!

We book suites more than 9 months out so that we can get the extra points. Due to my husbands job we can't cruise at the drop of a hat and several times a year like a lot of people are lucky enough to do. He has to request the time off several months in advance. Our last cruise was booked 2 years in advance and this years will be 18 months in advance. Our cruise last year was the first vacation that we were able to take together in 7 years. If they change it to a certain number of cruises in order to hit Platinum, then it will be years (and a lot of years at that) before we'd be able to get it.

Yep, "Really"!

We book suites more than 9 months out so that we can get the extra points. Due to my husbands job we can't cruise at the drop of a hat and several times a year like a lot of people are lucky enough to do. He has to request the time off several months in advance. Our last cruise was booked 2 years in advance and this years will be 18 months in advance. Our cruise last year was the first vacation that we were able to take together in 7 years. If they change it to a certain number of cruises in order to hit Platinum, then it will be years (and a lot of years at that) before we'd be able to get it.

I understand what you're saying but if everyone did this why have Platinum Level as everyone would be Platinum! LOL There would be no need at that point for Latitude levels!

Harriet

If FDR gets his way again with tweaking the perks & recognition level, there might be a Titanium tier - with sub-tiers. And, for a convenience fee, you can buy-up to the next tier on a fast track (take the playbook from the airlines at boarding time ... LOL, mine bad for giving them ideas) :eek:

Meanwhile, I'm bracing for the Godvia to be substituted for Hershey candy bars. :mad: and choice of comp'd soda, bottled water or beer instead of comp'd (mini-bar sized) wine.

(above are strictly just for laughs, of course ... but)

OP, can you scan/upload a smartphone image of this new brochure - for us to share and to satisfy our curious minds, knowing how NCL operate these days ... it might take a while for them to communicate, if at all ... Thanks for posting.

Edited by mking8288

I actually hope that this means that they might change the "qualifications" in the future, so that it will be more "exclusive" to reach their highest level (Platinum) than it is today. In my opinion they should add an extra level to the Latitude ladder, and if not - then the second best thing would be to make it "harder" to reach Platinum level.

They changed the program in 2011, and from 2011 to 2013 we were usually less than 20 persons with Platinum status on each cruise. But the last couple of years, it has "exploded" - with several 100 persons with Platinum status on each cruise (because of the "easy" conditions to earn extra points and climb the Latitude "ladder" faster)...

Careful what you hope for. Celebrity's Elite customers wanted the same thing and Celebrity changed how we garner points. And guess what, they made it hard for everyone to get to the new top tiers Elite+ and Zenith and the perks for the second highest are not what people wanted. And as you can imagine, there were some very unhappy Elite campers at Celebrity, with many saying they would never cruise that unethical cruise line again....well, they are still there and the new loyalty program is still there. You see, they all thought that they would be given preferential treatment because they were Elite already, but no such thing, they are now in the same boat with everyone else....most will never make Zenith during their lifetimes.

I dearly hope for an advanced Latitudes level. We have been Platinum since 2003 and earned it the old fasioned way. We have taken 32 NCL cruises with 372 Latitudes points. We also have 5 NCL cruises booked.

Congrats on all of your cruising time!

Due to things in my life I didn't get to do my first cruise until I turned 51. My husband was 59 on his first (last December). I would have loved to start cruising years ago but it just didn't work out that way for us.

. OP, can you scan/upload a smartphone image of this new brochure - for us to share and to satisfy our curious minds, knowing how NCL operate these days ... it might take a while for them to communicate, if at all ... Thanks for posting.

Not sure how to do this. I have pictures on my ipad, but it don't know how to upload a legible copy here. :confused:

BTW, the chart is silent as to whether a passenger needs to qualify on number of points AND on number of cruises or on either one OR the other. If the former, it will be more difficult to attain a particular tier; if the latter it will be easier.

Note that my original question was about what, if any, change is occurring -- not about whether we like it or not. ;)

We are Platinum on NCL with 82 points after just 2 cruises (one for 24 days, booked over a year, in a suite -- instant 72 points, the other for 10 days, booked late, in a BA balcony). That's simply too easy.

If this is a change, it's possible it was suggested by Mr. Del Rio -- we sail a lot more on Oceania (FDR's baby), and after 10 cruises and a total of 169 nights, we have just achieved Silver -- halfway to Platinum. Oceania's points are by cruise, not by night, although there can be an extra point or two for really long cruises (2 points for 26 nights or more, for example). We will reach Gold on our 15th cruise and Platinum on our 20th.

The perks are entirely different on Oceania. For example, from the fifth cruise there is $200 OBC per cabin. From the 10th (where we are), it's $400. The big incentive comes at the 19th; the 20th is a free cruise up to 14 nights.

NCL experienced guests have been complaining for a long time that it's too easy to reach platinum and too many Platinum guests. Requiring at least 11 cruises to reach Platinum is a decent first step; that's the equivalent of 11 - 7 day cruises with no extra points for booking early or choosing a suite.

If I could predict the next step, it will be eliminating the extra point for booking early. With the changes in the pricing structure, it will no longer pay to wait until the last minute, and the least expensive way to book will be early. If that catches on, there will be no need to offer an extra Latitude point for booking early. Also, by requiring 11 cruises minimum for Platinum, there will be little incentive to book longer cruises or book a suite -- yopu'll still need 11 to get Platinum.

What will be the long term effect if this takes place? Lots of NCL guests have already appeared on the Oceania forum asking if their Latitudes points would be recognized on Oceania. The reply has always been that as long as NCL makes it so easy to get to Platinum, there will be no reciprocity. A step like this could lead to possible reciprocity.

Edited by hondorner

We are Platinum on NCL with 82 points after just 2 cruises (one for 24 days, booked over a year, in a suite -- instant 72 points, the other for 10 days, booked late, in a BA balcony). That's simply too easy.

If this is a change, it's possible it was suggested by Mr. Del Rio -- we sail a lot more on Oceania (FDR's baby), and after 10 cruises and a total of 169 nights, we have just achieved Silver -- halfway to Platinum. Oceania's points are by cruise, not by night, although there can be an extra point or two for really long cruises (2 points for 26 nights or more, for example). We will reach Gold on our 15th cruise and Platinum on our 20th.

The perks are entirely different on Oceania. For example, from the fifth cruise there is $200 OBC per cabin. From the 10th (where we are), it's $400. The big incentive comes at the 19th; the 20th is a free cruise up to 14 nights.

NCL experienced guests have been complaining for a long time that it's too easy to reach platinum and too many Platinum guests. Requiring at least 11 cruises to reach Platinum is a decent first step; that's the equivalent of 11 - 7 day cruises with no extra points for booking early or choosing a suite.

If I could predict the next step, it will be eliminating the extra point for booking early. With the changes in the pricing structure, it will no longer pay to wait until the last minute, and the least expensive way to book will be early. If that catches on, there will be no need to offer an extra Latitude point for booking early. Also, by requiring 11 cruises minimum for Platinum, there will be little incentive to book longer cruises or book a suite -- yopu'll still need 11 to get Platinum.

What will be the long term effect if this takes place? Lots of NCL guests have already appeared on the Oceania forum asking if their Latitudes points would be recognized on Oceania. The reply has always been that as long as NCL makes it so easy to get to Platinum, there will be no reciprocity. A step like this could lead to possible reciprocity.

Nice perks but you pay a helluva lot more for an Oceania cruise. :eek:

Don't forget you can also get additional points for booking a Latitudes special. Meaning it is possible to gain 4 points per day.

We have been platinum for a long time now, earned it long before the new system went into effect. I do not begrudge anyone whatever theyhaveearned under the rules, but I do think the early booking and Latitudes specials have made it too easy. On a recent cruise there were so many platinums, they had to have two parties. Hardly exclusive. While the drinks are more plentiful, the quality is not very different.

At our first platinum party it was in a small bar with beautiful appetizers laid out. Waitresses took your order as they would in any lounge and if you ordered Chardonnay you got a nice mid level wine.

Those days are long gone, but it was nice while it lasted.

I did notice on our cruise earlier this month, Jorge said we were one of five couples with 20 some cruises. In reflection it is interesting that he knew the number of cruises as opposed to the number of points. Hmmm, could be a sign.

I remember several years ago when CCL switched from number of cruises to days and, oh my, did it hit the fan! If that happens I will need to take a CC sabbatical until it blows over. ;)

I hate to say it, but rather that creating a new Platinum level, with all the new LARGE cruise ships, I believe NCL is more interested in getting long-term NCL cruisers into The Haven. Veteran cruisers that are happy with the NCL cruising freestyle, and not focused on perks, will continue to sail on NCL. NCL is apparently focusing a filling The Haven and attracting new passengers to fill its new mega-ships.

Unfortunately, I don't thing that RCCL or Princess are any better, as they to now also survive in the world of the MEGA cruise ship.

My wife and I do periodically stay in The Haven if we can get a good deal for a special occasion, but I too believe its time for a new perks level for veteran NCL cruisers who can not afford The Haven. NCL needs to remember that loyalty is won, and easily lost.

So, who here would like 1 or 2 night CTN equal a 7 day cruise? I have no problem with the way NCL works their loyalty program. 24 day cruise? The money spent, yeah they deserve to get 21 points minimum. I don't see that us getting points is easy. We still have to have the time and money to cruise. some one stated that there are so many Platinums. That shows that cruise prices are low enough and good enough value to attract return customers.

I will be gold after my next cruise. 4 cruises, 2 in suites 2 in Minis.

I am gold on RCCL after my 5 cruises with them.

We made Platinum in five cruises (97 points). Our upcoming cruise will be our first as a Platinum Member.

1. Inside 6 night cruise = 6 pts

2. Inside 7 night cruise = 7 pts

3. Balcony 7 night cruise = 7 pts

4. Suite 7 night cruise = 21 pts

5. Suite 14 night cruise = 56 pts

I will be gold after my next cruise. 4 cruises, 2 in suites 2 in Minis.

I am gold on RCCL after my 5 cruises with them.

Not a great comparison, since Gold on RCCL is the lowest level of Crown & Anchor, with only 3 points needed (equivalent to Bronze Latitude level after one short cruise), and Gold at NCL is level 3 in the Latitudes program.... ;)

Are you awarded points the first day of the cruise or are the points added following the cruise? For example, we have 14 points now, and have a 7-day cruise booked. When we board the ship for the 7-day cruise, will we be bronze (14 points) or silver (21 points)?

Thanks!