Princess or Royal Caribbean?

I am planning a high school graduation cruise and I was wondering what cruise line to choose. Royal Caribbean is cheaper, but I also felt it wasn't as nice as Princess but these girls are first time cruisers. Does it matter which cruise line? Princess goes to more luxurious Caribbean locations...

These are two lines that are always at the top of our list. In general, I find that Princess has more of a casual resort feel to it. Royal Caribbean has more to do and better entertainment. Some of the larger Royal Caribbean ships offer several dining choices. Princess main dining room (the ones included in your cruise fare) have better food, but I guess others may feel differently. I'd also be interested in what ships you are referring to.

I am planning a high school graduation cruise and I was wondering what cruise line to choose. Royal Caribbean is cheaper, but I also felt it wasn't as nice as Princess but these girls are first time cruisers. Does it matter which cruise line? Princess goes to more luxurious Caribbean locations...

Which islands in the Caribbean do you consider more "luxurious"? Over the years, I've been all over the Caribbean, on RC and X ships. I've found all of the islands to be unique (and exotic), in their own way -- but never encountered any that I considered "luxurious". :confused:

The challenge is that a ship can very easily have a less that satisfactory cruise but a change of staff etc. a few months later can turn that around.

Having said that, in Feb and March we did two cruises. The first was on the Sun Princess, an older ship. 14 days Sydney-Fiji. We did the second cruise two weeks after getting of the Sun. RCI Voyager of the Seas. 17 days Australia/NZ. We have cruised most of the mass market cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise.

I can tell you that the food was far better on Princess-dining room and buffet. Better meat, much better cheese, salads, and fruits, and desserts. We did not enjoy our VOS cruise. Even thought we are Diamond on RCI we are no hurry to book another cruise. We had any time dining on RCI. It was a complete disaster. Also, the bar prices on RCI were VERY high. $12 USD for a cocktail. Princess was $10 AUD...(that's $8 USD). We felt like we were being fleeced on RCI. The upside was our on board bill was quite low because we drank very little alcoholic beverages.

Edited by iancal

If its High School graduation I think RCI may bethebetterfit, with the range of activities they offer.

Given the age of the girls, RCI would have more activities to choose from.

Especially the Freedom and Oasis class ships.

Having been on several Princess and RCI cruises, I have to say this question can't be answered without knowing what ships you're considering.

She posted on the Princess boards about Regal or Emerald and Emerald makes more sense for a Caribbean itinerary.

Having been on several Princess and RCI cruises, I have to say this question can't be answered without knowing what ships you're considering.

Also clarification of who is going may help, I am unsure if they mean a group of students who have just finished High School, which may lead to trouble booking cabins if someone needs to be over 21, or is it basically a High School reunion, that would also make a big difference.

Also clarification of who is going may help, I am unsure if they mean a group of students who have just finished High School, which may lead to trouble booking cabins if someone needs to be over 21, or is it basically a High School reunion, that would also make a big difference.

My first thought was exactly that - students who have just graduated would not qualify to book cabins without an adult. If it's a reunion ... totally different story.