Journeys and Air Travel?

BeckinTx

I am intrigued with the Journeys cruises and I was wondering from those of you that have booked if the airfare has been insane in terms of embarking in one port and disembarking in another? Are you basically buying 2 one way tickets? Any advice or tricks for this?

I am intrigued with the Journeys cruises and I was wondering from those of you that have booked if the airfare has been insane in terms of embarking in one port and disembarking in another? Are you basically buying 2 one way tickets? Any advice or tricks for this?

Yes, one way flights. I don't know of any tricks, but we are booked on two and need some flights! :D

So far it looks like about $180pp for AUS-SJU for our cruise in November. We will take a vehicle to a friends in Galveston prior to the cruise to deliver to us when we get to port.

Edited by drosphot

You do not have to buy one way flights unless they are the same price or cheaper.

You click on "multi city" on the airline site or search site you are using and you put the dates for the first flight and then the dates for the 2nd flight.

This is a very common way of buying a ticket and that's why "multi city" is a listed possibility.

It is often prices like a round trip ticket.

Do the comparison pricing it this way and then price the one ways and see which comes out better for your specific trip.

The "multi-city" choice is also called an open-jaw itinerary. It often offers the best pricing available.

The exception to this is if you have access to one of the low cost carriers that routinely sell their tickets as one-way only. Meaning that to do a round trip, you have to buy two of their tickets. This is especially true of Southwest.

The legacy carriers have brutal one-way fares for their own reasons which is why 'open-jaw' tickets are usually much more desirable for leisure travel.

OP...just do like us...pick one that starts and ends up back in the same port. 10 days Miami to San Juan and 11 days San Juan to Miami. Problem solved.

:D:DLOL

That eliminates a lot of the world of cruising...full Canal cruises, trans- Atlantic and Pacific, our great Copenhagen to Amsterdam 22 HAL Eurodam cruise, even our upcoming Perth to Sydney cruise. I think we will not take this option, at least not regularly.

Edited by CruiserBruce

... That eliminates a lot of the world of cruising...full Canal cruises..
Be creative - get on the ship in FLL, through the Canal, up to Alaska, stay on for the Alaska season, back down the West coast, through the Canal again, and back to FLL.

Sounds like a good closed-loop cruise to me :)

Humor aside, I agree with you. Making it a requirement to start and end in the same port cuts out a lot of good cruises. DW loved the Singapore->China cruise. And the full Canal. And our next cruise after the Canada cruise (also a one-way) is likely something Australia/New Zealand, probably a one-way. I wouldn't mind a B2B that got me back to my originating port, but the job won't let me be gone that long. Dang inconsiderate of them.

Be creative - get on the ship in FLL, through the Canal, up to Alaska, stay on for the Alaska season, back down the West coast, through the Canal again, and back to FLL.

Sounds like a good closed-loop cruise to me :)

I would love to do a trans- Atlantic in the spring, stay in Europe for many months, come back when the ship repos back. DW doesn't see eye to eye with me on that one!

We are waiting on ones going back to original port. Much easier for us to deal with one port.

Did the two week pride relocation and two ports were a bit of a pain.

Not sure why that would be such a pain?? :confused: As mentioned, very easy to purchase a multi-city airline ticket...fly into one city to board the cruise and fly home from another when it's over. Either way you're going to and from an airport, so not sure why it would matter, as a matter of convenience, whether it's the same airport or two different ones.

Not sure why that would be such a pain?? :confused: As mentioned, very easy to purchase a multi-city airline ticket...fly into one city to board the cruise and fly home from another when it's over. Either way you're going to and from an airport, so not sure why it would matter, as a matter of convenience, whether it's the same airport or two different ones.

Because that poster likes to drives to ports. So the airport is rarely in the equation.