Ryndam's latest odd occurance

Tyler919

Port of Horta Azores during the testing of life boat tenders, number 8's winch let go making the tender go to the water and is irretrievable.

We are leaving the tender behind and shipping it to meet the ship in Lisbon after winch repairs. Plenty of life boat space aboard and passengers are being reassigned. In next stop, Brest, a deeper winch inspection on all winches will occur. Feeling slightly snake bit but enjoying the cruise!

I can't remember the ships name but we traveled on a cruise ship that had to leave their tender at some port because of problems with it. No big deal, they picked it up the next time they went to that port.

I remember about 4 years ago someone spotted Zuiderdam or Westerdam as it transited the Panama Canal with a tender or Life Boat on its bow. Turned out they were taking it to the Pacific side to return it after repair to the ship it came from, again cannot remember if it was Zuiderdam or Westerdam.

Joanie

Tyler....have been wondering if you have had a bumpy ride...??

The Amsterdam is heading to FLL and has hit some pretty bad storms...

We had what I would call moderate seas on Saturday late night thru 6pm Sunday. Certainly noticeable, and very rough for some, but never higher than about 12 foot waves. We are just leaving dock after 1.5 hour delay. A passenger says he heard the tender was damaged in the fall, but I have no confirmation of that. We saw it being towed away just before we left.

I remember about 4 years ago someone spotted Zuiderdam or Westerdam as it transited the Panama Canal with a tender or Life Boat on its bow. Turned out they were taking it to the Pacific side to return it after repair to the ship it came from, again cannot remember if it was Zuiderdam or Westerdam.

Joanie

I think it was the Westerdam. I'll see if I can find that picture.

Port of Horta Azores during the testing of life boat tenders, number 8's winch let go making the tender go to the water and is irretrievable.

We are leaving the tender behind and shipping it to meet the ship in Lisbon after winch repairs. Plenty of life boat space aboard and passengers are being reassigned. In next stop, Brest, a deeper winch inspection on all winches will occur. Feeling slightly snake bit but enjoying the cruise!

WOW -- that is not good.

Glad you are still enjoying your cruise.

Joanie

Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401245

I am amazed at you once again KK!!!

I could not remember the year or the 2 ships involved and within a couple of minutes you not only remembered the names of the ships but also found the link to the old 2011 thread:cool:

You are an AMAZING LADY!!! And please tell your hubby for me that he needs to take you out to your favorite restaurant as a reward!!! He's paying though, not me:D:D

Joanie

Thanks for reporting this information.

I am amazed at you once again KK!!!

I could not remember the year or the 2 ships involved and within a couple of minutes you not only remembered the names of the ships but also found the link to the old 2011 thread:cool:

I second that sentiment! Her photos of the balcony dividers the other day are a prime example.

Mind like a steel trap, I say.

Edited by POA1

how odd indeed! I understand they have plenty of room on lifeboats without that one, I can understand getting the winch fixed and picking up the lifeboat later but if she is repositioning will she be back there? Would another ship bring it to her? Ugh the headache for poor Captain!