Eastern/Western Caribbean lunch in port?

I plan on posting this on the ports forum as well, but those forums are a little less active.

My husband and I will be doing another B2B on FOS in September. We've been to all the ports several times, but that's not a bad thing. Last year's cruise we were in San Juan instead of St. Thomas, found a lovely cafe' off the main town square in Old San Juan and had a nice lunch and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so this year that's our plan. Lunch in the ports we visit. And a place like Margaritaville doesn't count. :)

I've been checking out Trip Advisor, reading reviews and collecting info online, but thought I'd ask here as well. Anyone not do excursions or visit beaches, and just take a walk (or cab) to town and find a place for lunch? A restaurant on a beach would be a bonus, but we're not interested in packing up a beach bag and going to a place like Nachi Cocom. Love it there, but been there, done that, many times.

We'll be in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Falmouth, Cozumel, Grand Cayman.

Any suggestions?

My husband and I are the same way. We prefer doing our own thing, rarely just sitting on the beach.

We found this great "dive" bar/restaurant in Cozumel. It was a cute little bar/restaurant that divers went to. We found it when we were looking for an internet cafe near the cruise terminal and they had free WiFi with any purchase. We just ordered coffee and had free WiFi for an hour or so. It was such a great place we went back after walking all around and had lunch and many inexpensive drinks. We sat on the patio and could see the ships and all the diving boats go in & out.

It's called Ernesto's Fajita Factory. There is a lot on the menu, not just fajitas. They have a full bar. Check them out on TripAdvisor. lhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d1032286-Reviews-Ernesto_s_Fajitas-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Hope this helps! Have a fantastic cruise!

On the French side of St. Maarten there's a beach called Anse Marcel with an outdoor restaurant that sounds kind of a locals/land vacationers place, but not so much visited by cruise passengers (might be out of the way?) I've never been but it came up in my trip advisor research http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1236967-d5993169-Reviews-Anse_Marcel_Beach-Anse_Marcel_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Edited by ColoradoGurl

My husband and I are the same way. We prefer doing our own thing, rarely just sitting on the beach.

We found this great "dive" bar/restaurant in Cozumel. It was a cute little bar/restaurant that divers went to. We found it when we were looking for an internet cafe near the cruise terminal and they had free WiFi with any purchase. We just ordered coffee and had free WiFi for an hour or so. It was such a great place we went back after walking all around and had lunch and many inexpensive drinks. We sat on the patio and could see the ships and all the diving boats go in & out.

It's called Ernesto's Fajita Factory. There is a lot on the menu, not just fajitas. They have a full bar. Check them out on TripAdvisor. lhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d1032286-Reviews-Ernesto_s_Fajitas-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Hope this helps! Have a fantastic cruise!

This is great. Thanks!

Many good places but one close to the ship if it docks way down as usual, Just walk out the gate turn ring, go next door to the Carnival dock and the restaurant in down on the right, you cannot miss it. A little over priced but Margaritas are good(two will get you happy) and food is VERY GOOD.

Sorry forgot the Name of it LOL and we have eaten there 3 times.

St. Maarten has a ton of little restaurants right on the water. They all rent beach chairs and umbrellas. I think we paid $20 for 2 chairs, an umbrella, a bucket of beer or 2 cocktails and free access to their bathroom and wifi. I can't remember the name of the one we stopped at but they had the best calamari I've ever had. Don't stop at the first guy that asks you to rent a chair, keep going further down, the prices get better! I think the place we went had yellow banners out front. That is my favorite port, everyone is so nice! We got off the boat as soon as we docked and the beach was empty so we got chairs right by water. The guy who rented us chairs was from Australia. We got there before they started serving food but he brought us menus at our chairs and let us go ahead and order and said he'd deliver it as soon as the kitchen opened. There is nothing better than having delicious calamari and beer delivered to your beach chair :)

When we docked in Falmouth, there is a nice contained area right by the port. There were several cafes etc there. We enjoyed the traditional Jamaican patties. I would recommend wandering around the port area and just see what catches your eye.! Not on the beach, but nice social feel.

Edited by Spurschick

St. Maarten has a ton of little restaurants right on the water. They all rent beach chairs and umbrellas. I think we paid $20 for 2 chairs, an umbrella, a bucket of beer or 2 cocktails and free access to their bathroom and wifi. I can't remember the name of the one we stopped at but they had the best calamari I've ever had. Don't stop at the first guy that asks you to rent a chair, keep going further down, the prices get better! I think the place we went had yellow banners out front. That is my favorite port, everyone is so nice! We got off the boat as soon as we docked and the beach was empty so we got chairs right by water. The guy who rented us chairs was from Australia. We got there before they started serving food but he brought us menus at our chairs and let us go ahead and order and said he'd deliver it as soon as the kitchen opened. There is nothing better than having delicious calamari and beer delivered to your beach chair :)

Was that the water taxi you took? We did that last year, but were mostly on a mission to find a store that sold those little screwdrivers to repair a pair of glasses. Accomplished! We ended up having lunch at a place facing the beach, but there were so many others.

Was that the water taxi you took? We did that last year, but were mostly on a mission to find a store that sold those little screwdrivers to repair a pair of glasses. Accomplished! We ended up having lunch at a place facing the beach, but there were so many others.

Yes, that was the water taxi. I had forgotten about the water taxi until you mentioned it. Remember to leave your wrist band on as it's good all day for trips back and forth. We didn't realize that and took them off but the guy at the taxi remembered us so he gave us a new one. I don't remember how much the water taxi was but it was pretty cheap. It can be a rough ride, a few people were almost sick but it's a really short ride. We were fine but we saw a few people turning green!

And now I want more of that calamari! I may need to book an eastern cruise just to go back there!

A second vote for Panch's Backyard and Los Cinco Soles....the originals in town, not by the cruise pier.

I have reviewed them on Trip Advisor after our last visit. The restaurant is behind the store ( go thru store). If you eat first, your food receipt gives you a discount in the store, which has quality souvenirs at decent prices. At Pancho's the food is excellent and you sit in a pretty courtyard. Mole is top notch!

A second vote for Panch's Backyard and Los Cinco Soles....the originals in town, not by the cruise pier.

I have reviewed them on Trip Advisor after our last visit. The restaurant is behind the store ( go thru store). If you eat first, your food receipt gives you a discount in the store, which has quality souvenirs at decent prices. At Pancho's the food is excellent and you sit in a pretty courtyard. Mole is top notch!

In Cozumel we take a cab to Los Cinco Soles and eat at Panchos Backyard. Google Los Cinco Soles.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

FYI there is a Los Cinco Soles right in the port area of the cruise ships as well :)

I go to both of them and find all the stuff extremely similar. I just find it easier to get a few litres of the vanilla at the port compared to dragging it around all afternoon

Edited by trev71

How daring are you?

In Cozumel, the place we always eat in in a Plaza that's part of San Miguel's Mercado- the one where the locals shop.

Not a great view at all, and some of the restaurants clearly are catering to ship's crews based on some of the other international food.

But the food is really good.

edit- look for Mercado Municipal on a map.

Edited by alfaeric

Noted! :D

How daring are you?

In Cozumel, the place we always eat in in a Plaza that's part of San Miguel's Mercado- the one where the locals shop.

Not a great view at all, and some of the restaurants clearly are catering to ship's crews based on some of the other international food.

But the food is really good.

edit- look for Mercado Municipal on a map.

We're pretty daring and this sounds great! Thank you!

Julie.... Except for Falmouth, you'll have no problem easily finding what you want to do for lunch in your ports of call. :)

LuLu

I know. We're very comfortable in all of the ports of call. Just looking for suggestions, especially for the off the beaten path, less touristy types of places.