Britannia Reviews

forest_

So impressed were we by the staff on Britannia we are thinking of doing another P&O cruise. Any suggestions, we don't mind children and are young at heart. What's Azura like?

Azura is like a slightly smaller Britannia. Similar (ish) layout. One extra showbar instead of the limelight club. A much bigger and nicer Glasshouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get really iritated by people moaning about the lack of a central staircase.

Although I dislike people moaning, and there were plenty of moaners on the maiden cruise, I really don't think it is fair to criticise people who have commented on the lack of a central staircase. It is a major flaw that needs to be addressed. In fact, there is a central staircase and it can be used between decks 5 and 7. However, it is kept behind closed doors on decks above 7. It is not carpeted and the walls are not decorated as it is for the use of staff and in emergency only. That was the frustration people felt, not that there was a lack of a central staircase but that passengers were not allowed to use the one that was there. I believe that when the opportunity arises, they will bring it up to passenger standard and open it up for passengers to use.

Apart from that, I thoroughly enjoyed Britannia and defended her in response to several onboard moaners but feel a little aggrieved at being termed a moaner for commenting on the fact that an alternative way of going up and down decks is denied to passengers especially as it would free up the lifts for those who want/need them.

I get really iritated by people moaning about the lack of a central staircase.

Although I dislike people moaning, and there were plenty of moaners on the maiden cruise, I really don't think it is fair to criticise people who have commented on the lack of a central staircase. It is a major flaw that needs to be addressed. In fact, there is a central staircase and it can be used between decks 5 and 7. However, it is kept behind closed doors on decks above 7. It is not carpeted and the walls are not decorated as it is for the use of staff and in emergency only. That was the frustration people felt, not that there was a lack of a central staircase but that passengers were not allowed to use the one that was there. I believe that when the opportunity arises, they will bring it up to passenger standard and open it up for passengers to use.

Apart from that, I thoroughly enjoyed Britannia and defended her in response to several onboard moaners but feel a little aggrieved at being termed a moaner for commenting on the fact that an alternative way of going up and down decks is denied to passengers especially as it would free up the lifts for those who want/need them.

Im not sure they could ever equip and redecorate the staff lifts and stairs in the mid ships area for passengers. They do allow passengers to use the stairs for muster but thats all. The Princess sister ships have the same issues and the lift issues have remained the same. Its not going to change without a major reconfiguration of all those ships during a dry dock.

Pete,

I had no intention of upsetting anyone, and was not aware of the secret stairs. My main issue was with why people felt the need to queue for the lifts and to take the lift down when they wanted to go up to get quicker access to the lifts. Other that trying to get a seat in the theatre or to get to an excursion on time I have never felt in much of a rush to do anything on a cruise.

There will always be moaners wherever you are and what ever you are doing. We were on the maiden cruise and there were moaners but we didn't let them bother us, we all need to accept that nothing in life is perfect. We had no serious issues with service, food or design of the ship.

I really don't understand the central stairs problem, if people had not pointed it out to us I don't think that we would have noticed. Going down, we walked to the stairs and never thought that it was any great distance, going up more than 2 or 3 decks we had to take the lifts because a health problem that my husband has means that it is difficult for him to walk up a lot of stairs without taking frequent rests. I just wish that the people who moan about "able-bodied" people using the lift would give it a rest, they do not know everyone's medical history and people like my husband look fine but do have serious health issues.

I doubt that we will return to Britannia because although she is a beautiful ship she was too big for us (for the moment Azura / Ventura seems to be our limit on size) but I will never say never because if a cruise turns up that is going to somewhere I want to go to and it is the right price then it will be considered. Let's face it being on a ship is better than sitting at home.

Pete,

I had no intention of upsetting anyone, and was not aware of the secret stairs. My main issue was with why people felt the need to queue for the lifts and to take the lift down when they wanted to go up to get quicker access to the lifts. Other that trying to get a seat in the theatre or to get to an excursion on time I have never felt in much of a rush to do anything on a cruise.

Whilst it was frustrating when people went up in a lift in order to come down to the deck they wanted to get to, it is tempting to do this when you have waited 10 minutes for a lift and having only seen lifts packed like cans of sardines going in the direction you want to go. I know it is selfish because it means people are in lifts un-necessarily, taking up space others may need, but it is understandable.

Opening up the closed off staircase would help to prevent this although I do realise that getting it to the decorative standard passengers are used to cannot be done whilst at sea just in case there is an emergency and they are urgently needed.

If Carnival decide that opening up the central staircase is justified it won't happen until the first refit. Check it out 5 years after the Royal Princess was introduced.

and even then I cannot see it logistically being done as the central stairs are for staff use so staff would still need to share access to this stairwell with passengers.

I think that there are people who have a genuine 'grievance' *- such as the lack of stairs which does seem to be a design fault - but there are others who are just professional moaners who go out of their way to find something and everything wrong with a ship or hotel. We all know the ones I mean.

Fellow cruisers with sensible complaints & suggestions about how things can be improved are exactly what CC (and the cruise lines) need as they can help things to improve and to help us all to make the right choices.

The 'professional moaners' don't help anyone. :(

* Can't think of a better word so please be nice to me about this term. ;)

I think that there are people who have a genuine 'grievance' *- such as the lack of stairs which does seem to be a design fault - but there are others who are just professional moaners who go out of their way to find something and everything wrong with a ship or hotel. We all know the ones I mean.

Fellow cruisers with sensible complaints & suggestions about how things can be improved are exactly what CC (and the cruise lines) need as they can help things to improve and to help us all to make the right choices.

The 'professional moaners' don't help anyone. :(

* Can't think of a better word so please be nice to me about this term. ;)

No moans about this post Presto (at least not from me!)

I can't wait for our Britannia cruise with my family.

I feel very fortunate to be fit and healthy enough to be able to enjoy such a fantastic experience and make some wonderful memories.

As the expression goes 'don't sweat the small stuff' :)