Do you still believe that cruising gives you value for money?

chromered7

Yes, I do think that cruising is a good value. We just came back from Maui for a week, and had a nice condo on the beach. It was over $8000 for a week, and that included no meals, etc.

We have a South America cruise booked for January that was just a little over that amount for 2 weeks, in a suite, drinks, tips, and a nice onboard credit. That is for two weeks, and I don't have to cook!

Bingo!! that's what I'm talking about!!

We just returned from yet another two week transatlantic cruise with Celebrity. :)

We paid $699pp, with another $275 for taxes and tips... :o

...and we had $450 of OBC, in addition to free elite drinks each night. :D

Where else can you POSSIBLY get THAT kind of value for your vacation dollar?:confused:

Yes, I do think that cruising is a good value. We just came back from Maui for a week, and had a nice condo on the beach. It was over $8000 for a week, and that included no meals, etc.

We have a South America cruise booked for January that was just a little over that amount for 2 weeks, in a suite, drinks, tips, and a nice onboard credit. That is for two weeks, and I don't have to cook!

Bingo!! that's what I'm talking about!!

But that is only one example' date=' comparing one specific, very high priced land vacation to one cruise vacation.

(Nice beach accommodations on Maui are also available for far less than $8000 per week. They come in a wide variety of price ranges, just as cruise ship accommodations do.)

It depends on the cruise and the price, and what features are important to the person who is paying for it.

Sometimes cruising gives good value for the money, and sometimes it doesn't.

[/size']

Edited by varoo

We just returned from yet another two week transatlantic cruise with Celebrity. :)

We paid $699pp, with another $275 for taxes and tips... :o

...and we had $450 of OBC, in addition to free elite drinks each night. :D

Where else can you POSSIBLY get THAT kind of value for your vacation dollar?:confused:

well done to you . [emoji2]

wish i could get that sort of a deal but still happy with my next cruise . I would ask for you to buy me a drink on your success but we both on a drinks package [emoji12]

Just hope the weather in eastern med in early June is good or else my view will change [emoji41]

But that is only one example, comparing one specific, very high priced land vacation to one cruise vacation.

(Nice beach accommodations on Maui are also available for far less than $8000 per week. They come in a wide variety of price ranges, just as cruise ship accommodations do.)

It depends on the cruise and the price, and what features are important to the person who is paying for it.

Sometimes cruising gives good value for the money, and sometimes it doesn't.

I like high end travel, so a beach front condo in Maui would be what I would choose for a land vacation. However we prefer cruising. We started out 40 years ago in a tiny inside cabin. Through the years we have moved up to suites, so considering apples to apples, a cruise still gives you more for your money..in my opinion.

I like high end travel, so a beach front condo in Maui would be what I would choose for a land vacation. However we prefer cruising. We started out 40 years ago in a tiny inside cabin. Through the years we have moved up to suites, so considering apples to apples, a cruise still gives you more for your money..in my opinion.

Not all luxury beachfront condos in Maui cost $8K a week.

I hope this isn't too much of a derail, but if someone cares to recommend any of these 5 star luxury All Inclusive resorts they are finding in the Carribean for less than a X cruise, I would be very interested... When we were researching our November vacation, we really didn't find anything appealing that would even compare. Many of the resorts I looked at were almost twice what we will pay for our 7 night cruise.

We have mostly done "land" vacations in the past, but it really depends what you are looking for. For us, we haven't been on a vacation since we had our daughter, more than 2 years ago, and we really wanted to just relax on a nice beach somewhere and be pampered. We'll see what we think when we get back, but from our perspective right now, it seems like a really good value.

I hope this isn't too much of a derail, but if someone cares to recommend any of these 5 star luxury All Inclusive resorts they are finding in the Carribean for less than a X cruise, I would be very interested... When we were researching our November vacation, we really didn't find anything appealing that would even compare. Many of the resorts I looked at were almost twice what we will pay for our 7 night cruise.

We have mostly done "land" vacations in the past, but it really depends what you are looking for. For us, we haven't been on a vacation since we had our daughter, more than 2 years ago, and we really wanted to just relax on a nice beach somewhere and be pampered. We'll see what we think when we get back, but from our perspective right now, it seems like a really good value.

If you're not a US citizen, Cuba has some resorts at amazing prices.

This past December we stayed 8 nights at Couples Swept Away in Negril for less than what a 7 day Caribbean cruise would have cost us for the same week.

When factoring in the cruise costs, we factored in the following: a balcony cabin, airfare, 1 night precruise and meals, taxi to the hotel, taxi to the ship, taxi to the airport, excursions, tips and specialty dining. We would have received the drink package as part of a booking promo.

At the resort we had a suite. Round trip transfers between the airport and resort were included. We also received a resort credit as part of an early booking promo, which allowed us to enjoy a free couples massage. Excursions were included (glass bottom boat tours, snorkelling, catamaran tours, etc.). Tips were also included and no extra fees to dine at the nicer restaurants.

Sometimes cruising will be the better value and other times it won't.

I think one of the reasons for some of the more negative comments comes from repeat passengers knowing what to expect so there is no 'wow'.

Much as I still enjoy murano, for example, I do not get the same thrill as the first time I experienced their table service. Each time we get on board, perhaps, we just expect that little bit more......

Perhaps that is sometimes the case. But I think much more often the case is that repeat passengers (particularly long time cruisers) have seen so many things steadily go downhill or disappear. Newer cruisers wouldn't notice - you don't miss what you never had. The cruise experience on Celebrity is still very nice - we have never had a bad cruise. But the significant cost increases of cruising lately far exceeds any positive changes IMHO (perhaps this is not true of suite sailing - I can't afford that so can't comment on it)

Last time in the Dominican Republic we stayed at the Majestic hotel in Punta Cana. Fantastic hotel with massive rooms and right on the beach. We paid around £1300 each all inclusive for the 14 nights including flights. Our cruise in November is costing way more than that. It's a different holiday and we love cruising but that's just the one example if people do want to look at value. Of course we do pay way more for the cruise in the UK so maybe it's not that much of a difference for yourself.

Mostly we cruise in the Caribbean in Jan or Feb. for 2-3 weeks.

We take an inside cabin, so keep the price low!

We don't mind an inside, because everything else is the same.

However, if we stayed at a resort on an island, high season, for 2-3 weeks, we would not choose the bottom rung. We would have to go at least 4* and the cost would be much higher. Also, we don't take too much sun, so we are better off on a ship!