Do you still believe that cruising gives you value for money?

chromered7

As a TA I still find cruising is often the best value holiday for myself and my clients.

For prices in Australia starting at $100 per person per day for a cruise including inside cabin accommodation, meals, basic basic drinks, entertainment and you get to visit some beautiful ports, you can't compare.

I prefer to spend the extra and go with a balcony, but it still works out fantastic value for us especially compared to the costs and extra hassles of a land based holiday.

I'll keep cruising as cruising suits what I want out of a holiday inclusion wise and price wise :)

I think value for money is very subjective and personal. We think it is very good value for the excellent levels of service, the locations, the food. Some people don't see that the same. Some people get burnt out with too much of any type of holiday. I also value the experience of relaxation you get at sea.

The feeling of security I feel compared to some land trip locations - for example capital cities we visit in Australia. It isn't always safe to wander the streets after you have been out for dinner and you don't want to drive.

So it isn't about do we still get a chocolate on the pillow, or whatever nickel and dime thing people are unhappy about. We feel that it is value for money for us for the whole experience.

Agree 100%. It's great having a nice dinner and a few drinks, and only being a short walk away from your cabin. The convenience of having everything in easy reach is something we love about cruising.

Value for money as a UK cruiser probably not, we just don't get the same deals. We cruise because we love cruising not because it's cheaper than land based holidays. But no with all the low cost airlines and all inclusive deals now we can get better value for money at some lovely hotels and did last year.

Interesting. I would tend to agree with regard to Med. Cruises as they are getting silly priced. However we like to go o hols around or just after Christmas and somewhere warm. So its either the Canaries (not really our scene any more) or Florida / Caribbean . (Far East flights v expensive at this time of year)

We have booked a 14 night cruise on Eclipse January 2016 & 2017. We combine the cruises with a few days golfing either side around Orlando. Not cheap but not mega expensive either. Also we have met some wonderful people on last 2 cruises and meeting up with them again next January - cant put a price on that :cool:

Edited by gcgold

We spend three or four weeks in South Florida every winter to get away from the weather in the UK. I really go for the fishing in the Keys or Everglades. However our cruising career started when we decided to jump on a cruise ship on a spur of moment thing.

Not really knowing anything about cruising we booked a balcony room on Holland Americas ship Noordam. The one week Eastern Caribbean itinerary cost us just $580 including taxes each. And while the 5* Noordam wasn't as nice or as modern as our next ship the Silhouette, the food was better than anything we ate in Blu, and for such a ridiculously low price I fail to see how anyone could suggest that a late deal isn't good value.

Now we're a lot more clued up and understand that we're a little too young for HAL, but for a very cheap trip whilst in Florida anyway it would be hard to beat it for value for money.

I'm now looking at two weeks on the Eclipse later this year in an Aqua class room, current prices are around $2700 for an A2 room each, and while I do have some reservations about Celebrity (I'm still considering paying more for an Azamara cruise) I do think it's good value to visit a further eight ports in the Caribbean.

I've seen the ludicrously cheap late deal Alaska trips advertised, and they are tempting. Airfare from the UK to Vancouver is significant, but if we were to spend a week on a cruise ship and a week or two in Canada then I think the cruise is adding a lot of value to the overall vacation. For us, to increase our perceived and I suppose 'real' value of a cruise is to take it as part of an overall vacation rather than all of the vacation as I still enjoy land vacations too. I plan on taking DW to the Canadian rockies anyway as I've been before we met, so bolting on a weeks cruise to Alaska for very little money makes it possible to see a lot more of North America than we would have done if it was just a land trip etc.

One thing I would add though is this, many people seem disappointed that they no longer get a bottle of sparkling wine, 50c chocolate on the bed , flowers and have to ask for canapés etc.

The dollar value of these items is very low, why on earth Celebrity don't just increase the cruise price cost by $20 to $30 per week to cover the costs of these items is beyond me. To many people it's the little things that make all the difference. If Celebrity continue to try and sell themselves as a 'modern luxury' line they really should not be trying to skimp on such low values items.

Most of the posted comparisons have been between a cruise and a single site hotel.

Very true. I'll give you another example (and I'm not trying to convince anyone) We did a European Christmas Market trip late last year. It's funny how when you tell anyone that you're going to the Christmas Markets they always say...River Cruise? We did Paris, Munich, Salzburg and Vienna over the course of two weeks. I cannot even start to cover how great this trip was and how much we covered. Beautiful train trips between cities and you were there in less than 2 hours. Lovely hotels, Sheraton in Salzburg, Le Meridien in Vienna. The ability to go back to markets time and time again if you wanted to. The value of that trip over a River Cruise cannot be compared and not just cost..which we did two weeks for the cost of one week river cruise.

My favourite vacation we've ever done was 22 days in France on a land trip. Beaune, Loire Valley, Normandy, Cote D'Azur and Provence...hands down my favourite. So it is possible to do a cost effective amazing land trip with multiple sites and not feel that you're unpacking everyday.

It's very difficult making comparisons as obviously you can only compair against a land based holiday. For what we've paid in November in the Caribbean given its not a last minute deal and adding in the all inclusive deal as we only book inside cabins, plus airfare, plus speciality dining. We could have booked an excellent, five star all inclusive hotel including flight for less. Does that make the cruise poor value or is it just comparing apples to oranges ?

It's very difficult making comparisons as obviously you can only compair against a land based holiday. For what we've paid in November in the Caribbean given its not a last minute deal and adding in the all inclusive deal as we only book inside cabins, plus airfare, plus speciality dining. We could have booked an excellent, five star all inclusive hotel including flight for less. Does that make the cruise poor value or is it just comparing apples to oranges ?

All depends where you place your personal value. There really is no right or wrong answer for this but it's an interesting discussion.

I have found the whole discussion interesting.

We like to cruise at least a couple of times a year. We usually travel Aqua class. Celebrity's prices for Europe this year, particularly in high season ( one of us is a teacher) are ridiculous.

After 10 Celebrity cruises we are trying both Azamara and Oceania this year as they present better value to us. Azamara is more expensive but the totally different ports are worth the difference to us however Oceania was much cheaper.

We are thinking of the Summit at Christmas, The prices are cheap even when an expensive long haul flight is added, we will have good value for money.

Our answer therefore is Yes cruising is good value for money but Celebrity in Europe is not.

I have found the whole discussion interesting.

We like to cruise at least a couple of times a year. We usually travel Aqua class. Celebrity's prices for Europe this year, particularly in high season ( one of us is a teacher) are ridiculous.

After 10 Celebrity cruises we are trying both Azamara and Oceania this year as they present better value to us. Azamara is more expensive but the totally different ports are worth the difference to us however Oceania was much cheaper.

We are thinking of the Summit at Christmas, The prices are cheap even when an expensive long haul flight is added, we will have good value for money.

Our answer therefore is Yes cruising is good value for money but Celebrity in Europe is not.

agree

just been looking at a few Cel X promo videos against Oceania.

very tempted to give O a go- feel Cel X have taken their eye off the balk

It will be interesting over the coming months if Celeb fanatics start to look more closely at other cruise to compare not just on cost but overall experience. Our American cruisers seem to be able to get better deals in the states from their TA , which can be a major consideration when choosing a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am paying more for my Alaska trip in July then I have paid for my last 3 cruises in Alaska. Same next year for my May Pacific Coastal. I like to book Sky suites but both of these cruises are in Aqua Class as the prices are so high.

I've noticed a steady increase in prices on Celebrity. At the same time there are a number of posts regarding a decline in quality in several areas. We have 3 cruises booked right now and non refundable airfare for 2 of them. We'll make a decision on our 2017 cruise after our September cruise.

We like to cruise in suites and so far we've not been disappointed.

I dug thru my pack rat box's! :eek:

Our first balcony on the original Regal Princess in Oct 1993 was $1956 + $168 in port fees n tax. Plus what ever we chose to spend for 'beverages'! That took a lot more of our take home than today.

EW

image.jpg.3203897a33fa69531f049ae6d5681bc2.jpg

We have five 14 day cruises scheduled thru to Feb 2017. Looking at the trend of cuts, price increases and more pay per ala carte type venues it wills take some exceptional cruise experiences to make us book a cruise beyond that.

Our last cruise was in Nov 2014 and as we were driving home we decided to cancel the same cruise that we had scheduled for Mar 2015. We waited until final payment was due and then canceled. It wasn't hard to do as we didn't enjoy the Nov cruise as a much as we had in the past. Even though the price was a rock bottom price that included all of the perks we didn't feel it was worth spending that amount to do it again. The cost was $2350 for AQ1 pp for 14 days. When we canceled the cabins were going for over $3300 for a low balcony cat with no perks. Dont know what the AQ went for as they were sold out.

There are many other considerations such as our interests may be changing, the changes that they cruise lines are making, the cost involved, perceived value, and just life changes in general. We use to go camping, take many trips to amusement parks, go to rock concerts and etc. For us it may be time to move on and let the next generation have their fun.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I can only talk about my experience but here in Aus I pay $400-$500 a night for a balcony cabin.

A hotel costs me $300-$350 a night

Buffet breakfast for 2 about $50-60

Lunch even just a sandwich and drink $30-$40

4 Course dinner for 2 $150-$200

So all up $530 to $650

An that is to stay in one spot with no entertainment included how can that not be good value.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've heard Australia is expensive, but.... DANG.

We have five 14 day cruises scheduled thru to Feb 2017. Looking at the trend of cuts, price increases and more pay per ala carte type venues it wills take some exceptional cruise experiences to make us book a cruise beyond that.

Our last cruise was in Nov 2014 and as we were driving home we decided to cancel the same cruise that we had scheduled for Mar 2015. We waited until final payment was due and then canceled. It wasn't hard to do as we didn't enjoy the Nov cruise as a much as we had in the past. Even though the price was a rock bottom price that included all of the perks we didn't feel it was worth spending that amount to do it again. The cost was $2350 for AQ1 pp for 14 days. When we canceled the cabins were going for over $3300 for a low balcony cat with no perks. Dont know what the AQ went for as they were sold out.

There are many other considerations such as our interests may be changing, the changes that they cruise lines are making, the cost involved, perceived value, and just life changes in general. We use to go camping, take many trips to amusement parks, go to rock concerts and etc. For us it may be time to move on and let the next generation have their fun.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I find it staggering that you had 5 cruises booked ,your income must be significant to be able to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've heard Australia is expensive, but.... DANG.

Yep it definatly depends where you live. Caribbean holiday from the UK in a 5 star all inclusive hotel around 20% cheaper than a Celebrity cruise at standard prices. Different if you live in the US Where everything is cheaper. The Aussie prices make everything else look cheap.

I can only talk about my experience but here in Aus I pay $400-$500 a night for a balcony cabin.

A hotel costs me $300-$350 a night

Buffet breakfast for 2 about $50-60

Lunch even just a sandwich and drink $30-$40

4 Course dinner for 2 $150-$200

So all up $530 to $650

An that is to stay in one spot with no entertainment included how can that not be good value.

We did the Solstice Top End cruise from Perth to Sydney in February 2013 when the Aussie dollar was worth more than the US dollar.

We stayed in a Miss Maud's in Perth for very reasonable prices and the food was wonderful

We stayed in the Sydney Hilton five nights post cruise at a little over Aus $200 per night. We ate well and never paid more than $100 (for two) for dinner with wine.

We discovered a wonderful place for breakfast (called Pie Face). It had great little bacon or sausage egg pies and more for about $10 each, including the coffee.

Well ya'll must be standing in the same line as us at Sunglass Hut!:D

We took our first cruise in 1987, and still get that 'feeling' when we are handed our sea pass, go to the waiting area, but have to sit!

I'm like the people in an old commercial standing at the door going, OPEN, OPEN on the day after Thanksgiving. Is it a 'WOW' not as much, but it is still very grand indeed!

Here is to hoping you too never loose that feeling. We haven't.

Gotta love those glasses. Number 19 coming up and I'm sure we will give the experience a "WOW" as we have done on all of the previous 18.

Sure there might be a thing here and there that can be viewed in somewhat of a negative light but no land based vacation within the same price range of our cruises has ever given us the same degree of enjoyment as well as service. We almost always book suite or concierge level and although one can argue about square footage we have never been disappointed with our staterooms, the service on any level or at any venue on a Celebrity ship.

bosco

I dug thru my pack rat box's! :eek:

Our first balcony on the original Regal Princess in Oct 1993 was $1956 + $168 in port fees n tax. Plus what ever we chose to spend for 'beverages'! That took a lot more of our take home than today.

EW

EW - My perspective is similar as my last cruise (back in 2009) cost me about the same as the one I have coming up in November 2015.

Both were Caribbean cruises on Celebrity.

2009 - 11 day Constellation for about $1800 (not going to dig out the pack rat box to prove it - sorry) - but no perks or OBC

2015 - 10 day Equinox for about $1600 with $300 OBC plus drinks and gratuities (I know, I know - 123Go up and went - but many of the folks who are complaining seem to have the perks and still aren't happy.)

Both cabins are Concierge - but current one is one level better than previous one with a nice off the hump balcony :D

So for me - cruising continues to be a good value. Of course, everyone's experience is unique - so if you are not happy with cruising I wish you all the best in whatever else you choose as your vacation of choice.

Cheers!

Marguerite

Hey guys, we have just completed a 7 day tour of Puglia(southern Italy) we stayed in so called 4" hotels(not) and used a ****ty coach(bus) it was not awful but compared to cruising the cruise option wins hands down for value for money.,Us Europeans don't have the severe cut price deals you in the US have except maybe from Southampton,but 2days across the bay of Biscay to get to the Med simply ain't worth it.

Myself +my good lady still think cruising is very,very good value.

For us, cruising is a splurge. We've only done 3 so far with Alaska coming up in the summer. Our first cruise was in a jr suite on carnival. Our last 2 and the next (and quite probably all going forward) have been cat 9 insides.

Do we pay more than our friends who go to Cuba for $500 inclusive? Sure do. But for us cruising definitely has 'value'.

My husband doesn't drink. I drink very little. So all inclusive (or free drink pkg) doesn't add value. We rarely eat in the specialty restaurants and my 8lb weight gain will tell you that I enjoy the food!

We spend a lot of money on shore excursions. But we like to be busy and aren't great at going it alone so it's worth it for us.

If I was paying $7000 for a room instead of $2000 would I see a value. Hard to say. I guess it would depend on how much money was in the bank.

But where I get REAL value is when I'm standing on that ship, leaning on a railing and breathing in the air. Feeling the water move. Ahhhh. I'm so thankful in those moments...

Yes, I do think that cruising is a good value. We just came back from Maui for a week, and had a nice condo on the beach. It was over $8000 for a week, and that included no meals, etc.

We have a South America cruise booked for January that was just a little over that amount for 2 weeks, in a suite, drinks, tips, and a nice onboard credit. That is for two weeks, and I don't have to cook!