Do you still believe that cruising gives you value for money?

chromered7

I think one of the reasons for some of the more negative comments comes from repeat passengers knowing what to expect so there is no 'wow'.

Much as I still enjoy murano, for example, I do not get the same thrill as the first time I experienced their table service. Each time we get on board, perhaps, we just expect that little bit more......

If you want to compare land vacations to cruise vacations, at least compare apples to apples. Unless you stay in a suite, your hotel must have a room that is about 180 sq.ft., which includes a bathroom the size of a phone booth. The buffet is run of the mill, I wouldn't compare it to anything else. Some of the entertainment is quite good but some suck. Drinks. On a land vacation you aren't stuck paying for highly over priced drinks. You can find a local place to drink or go to a grocery store and buy it at take it back to the room at a tenth of the cost on the ship. On a land vacation you can come and go as you please, you aren't stuck in one area for the whole vacation. After a couple of weeks, the ship life gets old. We hardly ever eat more than two meals a day so we are paying for something we don't use. We use the cruise as transportation like we do flights and cabs. The best thing about cruising is you can visit several different places and only have to unpack and pack once. The rest is just fluff.

My god man, why are you even on these boards??? This is about the saddest most negative post I've ever seen here. "Go to a grocery store and buy it and take back to your room"???!!! wow:confused::confused:

We'll take our fluff, you can go to Wally World

Each of us has different perspectives on value.

For us, yes cruising still is a good value.

The cruising experience has changed for us and in most cases it has been good. We also now have different expectations of our cruise. For example, our early cruises, we had to try everything all the time. Now, we just relax and most of the planned activities onboard are not attended by us. Others could have just the opposite experience.

In short no ,we have only done two cruises and have reached the conclusion for the high end style of travel experience we seek cruising is not value for money .We can spend upward of $1500 per day on a cruise ship for an average experience ,we can spend the same as an independent traveller and have a much more diverse and individual travel experience.

In short no ,we have only done two cruises and have reached the conclusion for the high end style of travel experience we seek cruising is not value for money .We can spend upward of $1500 per day on a cruise ship for an average experience ,we can spend the same as an independent traveller and have a much more diverse and individual travel experience.

I'd be interested to hear what ships you cruised on.

I'd be interested to hear what ships you cruised on.

We too would like to know. We are not paying that much, TOTAL, for our 10 day cruise this Nov in an Aqua level cabin.

Those best have been some high end lines!:eek:

My god man, why are you even on these boards??? This is about the saddest most negative post I've ever seen here. "Go to a grocery store and buy it and take back to your room"???!!! wow:confused::confused:

We'll take our fluff, you can go to Wally World

Wally World!:eek: say it ain't so.:D

How is ya buddy?

Wallie:)

Most of the posted comparisons have been between a cruise and a single site hotel.

For me, cruising is primarily the itinerary (ports). I select cruises that take me to the ports that I want to visit. The ship is more a floating hotel, with restaurants and entertainment. Also, I like traveling on the sea.

We always combine our cruise with a pre and/or post land trip. For example, in going around the Horn, we did five days in Buenos Aires and two days in Chile pre and post. Also, on a cruise out of Perth, Australia, we did three days pre cruise and five days post cruise in Sydney.

The main disadvantage of cruising is that you generally get one day in a port, which is not enough for some. Prime example a Western MED cruise stops in Naples, Civi, etc., which is not enough time to visit the sites in the Naples area, Rome, Florence, etc. A land trip is the best way to see those places.

Still, in cruising the Med, many port like Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, etc. are suitable for a one day visit.

Also, we do river cruises, which opens up more places to visit away from the sea. Also, many river cruises include extensive land trips like in China.

Cruises are economical if you want to see a lot of places, without the logistics of moving hotels and transport between places.

We live in sunny South Georgia on an island and are not interested in going to the beach. We leave close to the beach and in our 60s, sunbathing just adds to the risk of skin cancer.

The point is, what works for us may not work for someone else. For example, we have made cruise friends of people from Canada, New England, Wisconsin, etc. I understand why those people want to go to a sunny place and visit the beach.

Cruises are economical if you want to see a lot of places, without the logistics of moving hotels and transport between places.

We decided to book a cruise around New Zealand over Christmas as it will give us a chance, weather permitting, to catch up with friends and family at most of the port stops. It certainly beats driving from city to city! NZ may look small on the map but it takes quite a while to drive from one end to the other even just in the North Island, let alone crossing over to the South Island. Even if the cruise doesn't work out cheaper than a land trip would cost, it certainly will be less stressful ... and that is priceless. :)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

After reading all the posts, I was struck with a couple of observations.

- if cruising is just transportation to the various locations, then I can see where you'd think cruising is expensive. If the cruise experience is either The Point or a major factor in enjoying the vacation then obviously it is well worth it.

- for many who have cruised a good deal, as in all experiences after doing it many times, we become more critical or jaded and start to pick at it. Do you really have a complaint the servings are too small? You can order a 2nd, unlike ashore, and I've joked we have 7 meals a day: early breakfast; breakfast; brunch; lunch; linner (between lunch and dinner but close to lunch); Dunch ( closer to dinner); dinner; late night eats. Heck, that's 8!

- yes, I think there are reductions but I still get much better service from the cruis staff, and I'm not looking for gourmet dining every night

I love our SR and could care less I don't have a BR the size of a ballroom. I cruise for the cruise experience itself, see a few ports with minimal hassle meet new friends and know what I'm getting.

And as to 'discount' land vacation comparison, upcoming cruise in '16 spends overnight in my favorite US city, San Fran, with a 'hotel' on the embarkadero. Try getting that at cruise prices. Our discount European tour was nice but most hotels were not that handy for self-tours - our Venice hotel was on the Lido. So much for exploring Venice during off times. Enjoyed but for us, nothing like a cruise.

We each spend our money for different reasons. We have many friends who rave about their RV vacationing. My wife's idea of a vacation isn't taking the housework, kitchen and washing machine with her.

And I'm not sure I'd spend much time on cruise forums if I'd decided to quit cruising. I might express my disappointment over what I think has happened to it and why I've quit cruising, then adios. I don't see my job is to help people see how they are wasting their time and money. I quit posting for an extended time because I was getting too argumentative. Life is too short and there are too many cruises to take!

Den

Yes! We have only recently started cruising as a family, with 2 kids aged 9 and 12. We all loved the experience last year and just came back from our 2nd cruise in March. We have 2 more booked and likely with more to follow!

Value to us is not just the price, but that is certainly important ... And we've done well with securing some great prices along with the PYP deals so included drink packages for both the adults (alcoholic) and the kids (non alcoholic). That's a HUGE chunk of value alone!

But it's also the quality of time spent together, or not together in that the kids enjoy some freedom to mix with kids their own age at kids club. We know they are well cared for and having fun so we can relax to having some Adult time. Win win!

The food and entertainment (which we don't partake so much the shows, but like the live music etc) is wonderful and most of all the wonderful staff that treat you not just as a guest but like family...I just really haven't found that 'complete' package ashore.

Throw in the mystical romance of being at sea, viewing the stars and moon glowing across the ocean at night, discovering new ports to discover every few days....well that's a heck of a lot of value to a brilliant holiday experience. At least for our priorities and current lifestyle.

Am I still wearing my rose tinted 'newbie' sunglasses? Maybe..and I hope they stay on for as long as possible as agree that many here seem to have got tired of the experience, or have done it so often their expectations may be increasing, looking for the 'wow' factor that is no longer exists for them.

It happens, and if it happens to us with cruising hope we become aware of it and make a conscious decision to mix things up and freshen up our vacation experiences!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of the posted comparisons have been between a cruise and a single site hotel.

For me, cruising is primarily the itinerary (ports). I select cruises that take me to the ports that I want to visit. The ship is more a floating hotel, with restaurants and entertainment. Also, I like traveling on the sea.

Exactly which is why my first post on this thread said it depends on where I want to go. We'll be keeping our Connie Med. Cruise next year because I do want to hit a lot of Greek Islands. It sure was tempting though to split it up with 10 days between Crete and Santorini and a week on the Amalfi Coast :) But things like we used to do, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Coastals, etc. just don't do it for us anymore. A week in Hawaii is not only cheaper but much more our style. We put a lot of "Value" in not having to dress for dinner.

Interesting that you mention River Cruising as well. I just can't get turned on to that idea..I think I might be too independent. Looking at their milk run of Amsterdam to Basel, it's an 8 hour drive!! I can cover so much more territory with a car for a week. Maybe i'm just getting too independent in my old age ;)

No. Not for Caribbean cruises for us anyways. We were looking into a cruise this past February but the all in cost for 6 of us in 3 balcony rooms, booze packages for 5, with air and pre-cruise hotel rooms was about $13K. We ended up going to an 4.5 star AI for about $7K. Now we are lucky, as Canadian we can go to Cuba. But even the 4 and 5 star AI's in the DR were only about $9K.

I like cruising but........$ talks.:D

Hubby prefers land and beach trips, so I challenged him to find a 10-day quality, all-inclusive for the same price as our cruises. DURING prime season winter months, to get away from the northeast snow. He conceded that cruises by FAR give more value. EsPECIALLY with more competition with the perks and beverage packages. And now and then we take an inside cabin, 10 days, on RC out of Bayonne for $599 pp. How can you possibly beat it!!! Even with the airfare!

That being said, we still do land trips, but pay quite a bit more.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

Am I still wearing my rose tinted 'newbie' sunglasses? Maybe..and I hope they stay on for as long as possible as agree that many here seem to have got tired of the experience, or have done it so often their expectations may be increasing, looking for the 'wow' factor that is no longer exists for them.

It happens, and if it happens to us with cruising hope we become aware of it and make a conscious decision to mix things up and freshen up our vacation experiences!

Well ya'll must be standing in the same line as us at Sunglass Hut!:D

We took our first cruise in 1987, and still get that 'feeling' when we are handed our sea pass, go to the waiting area, but have to sit!

I'm like the people in an old commercial standing at the door going, OPEN, OPEN on the day after Thanksgiving. Is it a 'WOW' not as much, but it is still very grand indeed!

Here is to hoping you too never loose that feeling. We haven't.

It depends on the cruise and the price.

Those $399 Alaska cruise inside cabins look like tremendous value for the money.

I might even be tempted to consider booking one myself, except that I am somewhat claustrophobic and really like having a balcony.

My first cruise was about this time of year in 1989 with a now ex and two friends on a forgotten NCL cruise out of San Juan. I've been on numerous lines, with numerous friends but have settled into Princess as my line of choice and with a friend who is of similar tastes and finances as myself. We are going on our 4th cruise together and second to AK in 3 yrs in under 100 days. Sure things have changed....no more booze smuggling, towel animals or laying in the sun for days on end. No more drinking from sun up till after midnite, but I still get that same feeling ass soon as I cross the threshold onto the ship and hear a crew member say "welcome aboard the ------- Princess" so I say yes, it's a great value for me. I've seen places that are on the return to bucket list and seen places I wouldn't return to if they paid me. I've discovered how people live in other parts of the U.S. as well as other countries and become increasingly grateful for what we have and how good we have it in the USA!

Well ya'll must be standing in the same line as us at Sunglass Hut!:D

We took our first cruise in 1987, and still get that 'feeling' when we are handed our sea pass, go to the waiting area, but have to sit!

I'm like the people in an old commercial standing at the door going, OPEN, OPEN on the day after Thanksgiving. Is it a 'WOW' not as much, but it is still very grand indeed!

Here is to hoping you too never loose that feeling. We haven't.

Awesome to hear! Hope Sunglass Hut never runs out of those shades [emoji41]

Celebrity Eclipse and Royal Princess

Wow! Ya'll need a new TA or way to book! $1500 a Day! We are only spending $1624 for 10 days in an A2 on the Equinox for a Holiday sailing. Then getting all 3 perks, double OBC, another $150 from Capt Club, another $100 from the TA, another $200 from the Celebrity Visa along with 2 comp Speciality dinners.

It is no wonder you don't see any value! You got hosed big time! WOW! I would feel the same way.

I think value for money is very subjective and personal. We think it is very good value for the excellent levels of service, the locations, the food. Some people don't see that the same. Some people get burnt out with too much of any type of holiday. I also value the experience of relaxation you get at sea.

The feeling of security I feel compared to some land trip locations - for example capital cities we visit in Australia. It isn't always safe to wander the streets after you have been out for dinner and you don't want to drive.

So it isn't about do we still get a chocolate on the pillow, or whatever nickel and dime thing people are unhappy about. We feel that it is value for money for us for the whole experience.

Value for money as a UK cruiser probably not, we just don't get the same deals. We cruise because we love cruising not because it's cheaper than land based holidays. But no with all the low cost airlines and all inclusive deals now we can get better value for money at some lovely hotels and did last year.