Do you still believe that cruising gives you value for money?

chromered7

I just priced out an A1 Aqua cabin for a 7 night Southern Caribbean on Summit next march earlier today.

I included adding in a premium drink package for 2, gratuities etc. Also includes the perks X is giving (OBC, classic drinks and grants).

It worked out to $165.72 per person per day.

So for $331.44 per day for 2, which includes all meals and drinks, and the "hotel room" itself, in resort destinations, seems like a great value. Marriott Harbor Beach in Fort Lauderdale, is $479 a night (without a view of the ocean for this price), meals would add another $150 or so a day for 2, MINIMUM, entertainment would be extra etc.

Yes cruising is a great value. Even a suite would be a value versus a land-based resort when you look to all-in pricing.

But that's summit which runs dirt cheap because of the expensive flights. I'm paying $3,000 Cdn for 7 days on Reflection off season in a 1A. That's $428 a night which I can do a lot with. Add in another $30 a day to upgrade the drink package and I'm at $458 a night.

We no longer see cruising as a good value, so after the two B2Bs we have scheduled later this year, we're probably done. We loved cruising before the cutbacks, cheapening of the product, and nickel and diming took over. We weren't given the option of paying more to keep status quo, just a product that we can't support. We survived 50 years without cruising before we started so we'll survive the next 50 without it.

i

Totally agree with you. After 15 years of cruising twice a year, we will pack it after a transatlantic booking, which I find is the only cruise itinerary that still holds value.

Since we usually just book the cheapest inside available, it's still a very good value. Sure, we'll absolutely do more land trips in the future, to spend more time in places that we enjoyed...when we first discovered them through cruising! When you take into account that you get hotel/room/board/entertainment all included - even if you decide that MDR is really 2-star food now, instead of its former 4 stars; or some of the shows aren't to your liking - you're still getting all that for a fraction of what you would pay on land. Plus, most all-inclusive resorts are in the Caribbean, which we have no interest of going to.

My parents did a couple of different excursions in Europe by bus - visiting several countries, having guides along way, it was great, very informative and a good value, except it would kill my back to sit on a bus for so long (not to mention having to pack and unpack almost every day is way too much work for a vacation). So I'm all for doing more trips in Europe to places that aren't accessible to cruise ships - but I think at that point I'll look into river cruising :)

Since we usually just book the cheapest inside available, it's still a very good value. Sure, we'll absolutely do more land trips in the future, to spend more time in places that we enjoyed...when we first discovered them through cruising! When you take into account that you get hotel/room/board/entertainment all included - even if you decide that MDR is really 2-star food now, instead of its former 4 stars; or some of the shows aren't to your liking - you're still getting all that for a fraction of what you would pay on land. Plus, most all-inclusive resorts are in the Caribbean, which we have no interest of going to.

My parents did a couple of different excursions in Europe by bus - visiting several countries, having guides along way, it was great, very informative and a good value, except it would kill my back to sit on a bus for so long (not to mention having to pack and unpack almost every day is way too much work for a vacation). So I'm all for doing more trips in Europe to places that aren't accessible to cruise ships - but I think at that point I'll look into river cruising :)

Why do you equate land trips to either all inclusives or bus trips? We do neither nor do we unpack every day.

Why do you equate land trips to either all inclusives or bus trips? We do neither nor do we unpack every day.

If you go to a specific destination, that's not the same as traveling between multiple destinations. I'm not "equating" land trips to anything, I'm trying to compare apples to apples when considering cruise trips vs. any other trips.

And no, I don't do RV trips.

Edited by Illyria
weird run-on sentences...should've re-read what I typed!

I'm trying to compare apples to apples. If you go to a specific destination and I'm not "equating" land trips to anything, I'm trying to compare apples to apples when considering cruise trips vs. any other trips.

And no, I don't do RV trips.

Neither do I but I do villas in Tuscany and beach front condos in Hawaii as well as beautiful farmhouses in Provence

I wouldn't consider a cabin on a cruise ship a hotel room. Our walk in closet is bigger and let's hear all the raves for the bathroom. I've never been in a suite so I don't know how it compares to the other cabins. I wouldn't compare the normal dining to a land based dining experience either. I would not pay for either of these if they were land based. You get what you pay for. Cheap doesn't make it of value.

But that's summit which runs dirt cheap because of the expensive flights. I'm paying $3,000 Cdn for 7 days on Reflection off season in a 1A. That's $428 a night which I can do a lot with. Add in another $30 a day to upgrade the drink package and I'm at $458 a night.

Not sure when you are looking but a 11 day on Equinox in late November is $3600 USD in 1A with the the beverage package. Add in gratuities and it comes to about $355 a day for 2 in a room with a balcony, direct view of the ocean, all meals, drinks, entertainment and 2 visits a day from the room Stewart .

Not sure when you are looking but a 11 day on Equinox in late November is $3600 USD in 1A with the the beverage package. Add in gratuities and it comes to about $355 a day for 2 in a room with a balcony, direct view of the ocean, all meals, drinks, entertainment and 2 visits a day from the room Stewart .

I said Canadian. The price I quoted included taxes and gratuities. I get $5,572 for the sailing you quoted not including gratuities. Or $506 a night plus gratuities and plus upgrading the drink packages so approx $550 a night for a western Caribbean cruise...LOL, no thanks.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I think it depends on the itinerary and time of year. Sailings on the Summit out of San Juan and TAs offer good value; however, the pricing on some of the other itineraries is quite high. We have a cruise booked for later this year but have cancelled our 2016 cruise in favor of a land vacation. The nickel and diming on cruises was the main reason we are opting for more land based trips.

So for $331.44 per day for 2, which includes all meals and drinks, and the "hotel room" itself, in resort destinations, seems like a great value. Marriott Harbor Beach in Fort Lauderdale, is $479 a night (without a view of the ocean for this price), meals would add another $150 or so a day for 2, MINIMUM, entertainment would be extra etc.

Yes cruising is a great value. Even a suite would be a value versus a land-based resort when you look to all-in pricing.

Cruising may be a great value in comparison to a resort hotel in Fort Lauderdale; however, there are many resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico that are priced lower compared to a cruise.

In mid-December we stayed in a suite at a highly rated AI in Jamaica for 8 nights. Meals, drinks, tips, excursions, entertainment, and airport transfers were all included. A 7 day cruise in a balcony cabin on the Summit (with a 1 night precruise hotel) for that same week would have cost us over $1,500 more.

Sure, some resorts will be priced higher; however, there are many that are not. Don't assume that cruising will always cost less.

Edited by lovemylab

I really think you have selective math. You pick the cheapest cruise and a really expensive hotel. I have a 1,200 sq ft ocean front room booked at the Atlantic for under $240 night. I could have got the W for around the same price but not ocean front.

Edited by Cruise Junky

For us we have started doing a transatlantic one a year really because of the cost but mostly its only one long flight.

Our reflection sailing last years worked out at $150 per night and that included free drinks package so for 15 nights that's pretty good although we have noticed these cruises are also creeping up in price.

Living in the UK we can see Europe a lot cheaper than doing a cruise. At one point we fancied the Russia cruise with Celebrity but the price is crazy over $400 per night maybe even more.

The initial question was about the value for money re cruises. We have done some at what we considered a good deal and others which we did feel were expensive but the best way to see an area of the world (SE Asia, Eastern Med).

As someone said we would be really stupid to book cruises if we did not think they gave us what we wanted out of a holiday. On a recent cruise we talked to several couples who only cruised. One on these couples never got off the boat during an 11day itinerary. We also have friends who will not try cruising because 'it's not for them'.

Personally, cruise or land based holiday for me the value bit comes from when I get off the boat. If I feel 'Wow, that was great' I have had value for money. If I think 'that was ok but.....' Then I haven't.

Value for money is not about how much you pay as much as an experience meeting, or exceeding, your expectation.

I can only talk about my experience but here in Aus I pay $400-$500 a night for a balcony cabin.

A hotel costs me $300-$350 a night

Buffet breakfast for 2 about $50-60

Lunch even just a sandwich and drink $30-$40

4 Course dinner for 2 $150-$200

So all up $530 to $650

An that is to stay in one spot with no entertainment included how can that not be good value.

Given that these message boards are full of reduced portions, less staff, poor quality, customer dissatisfaction, lowering of standards and the growing cost of cruising, does cruising still give you value for money. A late cruise booking can still give you some sense of a good deal . The methods used by cruise companies to get you on board appear very attractive but when you when you dig down to the small print are they the real deal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No! Cruising is the most high priced waste of our money being tied up by booking avyear out! Extremilly poor quality, we haven't been seen any type quality in so many years it is making our head spin.

So we went on and booked another 10 days of total discomfort just because we enjoy getting ripped off and screwed over by big business. I guess we enjoy punishment and wasting money on fake deals.

Wow! You hit it on the head.

Ok, I was being very young in cheek.

Many times there will be a different price paid by people for cabins side by side, we can do all the examples from every sailing and find a price difference of hundreds.

The OP asked about value. For what we need for a vacation when we use our small amount of time away, a cruise is the best total experience for our purchasing power.

Given that these message boards are full of reduced portions, less staff, poor quality, customer dissatisfaction, lowering of standards and the growing cost of cruising, does cruising still give you value for money. A late cruise booking can still give you some sense of a good deal . The methods used by cruise companies to get you on board appear very attractive but when you when you dig down to the small print are they the real deal?

Cruises are still a pretty good value. From the time of our first cruise many years ago people were complaining about how the experience has been declining because the industry is constantly changing. If someone took their first cruise today and hadn't been reading these board they'd likely be awed and amazed. If a long time frequent cruiser was on the same ship they might be disappointed by some of the changes and complain here, but at the same time be looking forward to their next cruise on the same ship.

I think cruises still provide an acceptable value for the money, but in recent years I have compared land options versus cruise options and they are not the value they used to be IMHO. For example, I can spend a nice week in Fort Lauderdale at hotels comparable to the cabin levels I purchase for less than going on a cruise - and that includes meals, entertainment/activities each day and so on. Additionally, because I am not locked into exact dates and times I can find airfares as much as hundreds of dollars cheaper. That said, there are other advantages to cruising that add to the non-monetary value. Depending where one sails, it is possible that cruising might be a better value than a land trip, but I was specifically comparing US locations I might visit.

The initial question was about the value for money re cruises. We have done some at what we considered a good deal and others which we did feel were expensive but the best way to see an area of the world (SE Asia, Eastern Med).

As someone said we would be really stupid to book cruises if we did not think they gave us what we wanted out of a holiday. On a recent cruise we talked to several couples who only cruised. One on these couples never got off the boat during an 11day itinerary. We also have friends who will not try cruising because 'it's not for them'.

Personally, cruise or land based holiday for me the value bit comes from when I get off the boat. If I feel 'Wow, that was great' I have had value for money. If I think 'that was ok but.....' Then I haven't.

Value for money is not about how much you pay as much as an experience meeting, or exceeding, your expectation.

Very well said.

I think it is great value for money and it is also a safe way to travel if you are travelling solo (which I sometimes do).

I enjoy Transatlantics for really great value and great relaxation and though this next cruise is VERY expensive (Alaska in June) and far more than I have paid before, it is a bucket list cruise and I do believe it will be worth every penny!:D

£435 per day including flight and hotel accommodation and not including tours.:eek:

But I do have the cabin I want, my drinks and meals are all included on the ship and I am very excited to be going.

Over all I would have to say yes. With the prices going up we decided to do a 2 week land trip to England last year. Going to Wales, Cotswolds, Winston Chruchill grave and many other great places. In March 2015 we did a Caribbean cruise. We normally have been doing the 14 southern cruise. With the prices higher we opted for a 7 day cruise then to Universal Studio to see what they added to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We had a great time.

I still see them as luxury holidays, can I get much cheaper trips, why yes of course I can but can I see all these wonderful places, be guaranteed a good meals and great service at the price of a cheap 7 night resort nope

Yes I still see them as good value but we are now starting to compare them on price per night as part of our booking choice just to get that little bit more extra value

E.g the 14 night we just booked worked out at $30 a night better than the 11 night. Yes it's cost more as there are more nights but we've got to doing this now and 2 years ago never would have

If you want to compare land vacations to cruise vacations, at least compare apples to apples. Unless you stay in a suite, your hotel must have a room that is about 180 sq.ft., which includes a bathroom the size of a phone booth. The buffet is run of the mill, I wouldn't compare it to anything else. Some of the entertainment is quite good but some suck. Drinks. On a land vacation you aren't stuck paying for highly over priced drinks. You can find a local place to drink or go to a grocery store and buy it at take it back to the room at a tenth of the cost on the ship. On a land vacation you can come and go as you please, you aren't stuck in one area for the whole vacation. After a couple of weeks, the ship life gets old. We hardly ever eat more than two meals a day so we are paying for something we don't use. We use the cruise as transportation like we do flights and cabs. The best thing about cruising is you can visit several different places and only have to unpack and pack once. The rest is just fluff.

As cruise lines modify their product they are in danger ,because of perceived cut backs, of damaging their reputation. The cruise critic website allows almost real time revues during cruises and many are reporting a decline in the overall experience of some lines including Celebrity. For a land based holiday you can always move to another hotel if there are problems. When you are on a cruise it is not so easy to rectify problems that can affect the whole of your cruise experience.